It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Reflux bad today also needing to take antibiotic

Hello everyone! Happy 4th of July! I have had bad reflux today. That is to be expected with all the goodies, burgers on the grill and homemade icecream. I am dealing with it. I am on my Prevacid but some days are better than others. Lots of mucus today. I have had a sinus headache for several days, the mucus and congestion and pressure. I have a real bad taste in my mouth from the drainage. I am thinking of starting a Zithromax antibiotic pack that I have here at the house. It won't react with the Prevacid with it? In otherwords can you take antibiotics while you are on Prevacid or Prilosec?
I hope someone will respond because I would like to start them tonight. I am pretty sure this isn't just reflux this time. Not unless you all have sinus pressure and bad tasting mucus with your acid reflux and have it not be an infection.

Help please! Thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Reflux bad today also needing to take antibiotic

I'm certainly not a doctor, but you should be fine to take the antibiotics with the PPI's. I've been on antibiotics for sinus problems multiple times a year for the years I was on the PPI's. Most of those years I was on Prevacid.

I can't say that I was on Zithromax because I'm allergic to it, but I've been on many other antibiotics with no ill effects.

I had reflux surgery last fall. One of the interesting "side effects" for me is that I've had fewer sinus problems. Certainly a connection between the two for mo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Yes, they go hand in hand. Tonight both are flaring up. I really want to take the antibiotic, but it says on the package of Zithromax, do not take with antacids. Now does that mean at the same time? Or just space it out till a couple hours later from the Prevacid. I wish I knew and the pharmacies are closed and I can't see a doctor until Monday and I don't want to go to an ER. Thanks for your help. Let me know what you think about this. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

Em55 HB User

Hey Sorry you arent doing well lately. I had just read your other post and then saw this one. I bet you could call the ER and just get advice and ask them if it is safe. I know my old doctors office had a nurse help line which was always open that you could call and they would help you...Not sure if your doctors office has it.

Good luck

oh and by the way,, i had an endoscopy and colonoscopy on tuesday and i just kept remembering that you said after your endoscopy how easy it was and it really helped me stay calm. I really didnt get nervous until they wheeled my bed into the procedure room and then i started to freak a little. nothing a shot of valium couldnt handle.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so proud of you Em for getting the procedures done. How are you feeling now? How did things come out for you? Did they find out what is going on with you? I have been wondering.

Thanks for your advice to me. I took Sudefed and Ibuph. and think I will call it a night. It's bearable. I am doing sinus sprays and rinses and taking my Prevacid and I will see about talking to a Pharmacist tomorrow and seeing the doc on monday.

Let me know how you are!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
(female)

Em55 HB User

I am feeling the same as before now. Neither the endoscopy or colonoscopy showed anything. My doctor took biopsies and the cells came back fine too. I guess it is good news but it deffinately not what i expected! She was shocked too and now she ordered me another ct scan, which i just had one a few months back,and says she doesnt think i have a growth. I have refused the ct scan because i dont want all the barium and contrast in my slow moving body. My mom is letting me stop medical testing for now and let my poor body have a rest. Since decemeber i cant count on one hand how many i have done!

It seems like the less my bump area by my spleen hurts the more other symptoms i get. They are usually very random and unexplainable. I'm pretty sure she thinks im crazy since i have no kind of infection, no tumor that she can find, which i am thinking she isnt finding it. I can lay on my side and if i take deep breaths i can feel whatever is pushing against my ?lungs? moving.

Who would have thought that the healthy me who end up like this. What started as a little asthma has lead to all of this within a year.

I saw my basketball coach today at walmart and i barely could squeez out a hi and i kinda froze. i hate how much emotion just seeing it brings back to how much i miss it.

Anyways hope you get some help tomorrow!

Closed Thread