It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Reflux? It's all in your head!

How much of Acid Reflux/GERD is psychological rather than physical? How would you answer that question based on your experiences?

P.S.-I have GERD too, and I'm not trying to make light of the condition. I'm just wondering.

Last edited by NYCman; 07-06-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Reflux? It's all in your head!

I don't feel that my reflux symptoms were psychological at all. I would suggest that having constant symptoms can be physically and mentally draining as time goes on. Dealing with it for months and years on end can certainly have a psychological aspect.

Why I think so: My reflux is "silent" (no heartburn or 'typical' symptoms). I don't even know when I'm refluxing much of the time. I had a chronic cough that is also the same symptom as 3 other conditions (asthma, allergies, PND) that I have. It wasn't until I found out through repeat testing that I had extremely severe reflux that was happening throughout the majority of the day. Even using homeopathic strategies and being on twice per day PPI's, reflux was triggering my asthma by irritating my lungs and being aspirated into my lungs. My reflux became literally life threatening last year and nothing I did made a difference. I have excessive stomach acid production and an extremely weak LES. Those things are pure physical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have to agree with Mountain Reader. I don't think there is anything made up in the head about it. Mine is pure physical and can be quite scary at times and a plain ole nuisance!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I used to wonder (after many years) if I was continuing symptoms out of habit but after keeping journal found that for no reason whatsoever, some days were just bad. Nothing really to contribute to. Just flat wake up coughing, unable to breath, everything I ate felt stuck or refluxed. I almost wish it were in my head and maybe get help that would rid me of these problems but afraid they are very physical. Not to say that these don't put you into a panic phase, which could be in your head.

CharBerry

Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

painter207 HB User

I think my problems surfaced from nothing more than stress. Last year i went through breast cancer and with all the testing and CT scans and the 'whys' and the reasons for the body feeling the way it does put me into an anxiety mode like I couldn't believe. Everyone always called me 'iron gut' so this was highly unusual for all this back pain and mucus etc. Didn't have much heartburn just went straight for the throat. i think it happened during the night. When I woke upI could feel the gurgling in my throat. Ike!
Now my paitients is getting the best of me. I am soo impatient and frustrated.
Did anyone get cured to feeling like you normaly did?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

patricia jean HB User

I wish it was all in my head...at least there would be some hope....There is "NO" help for acid reflux...I have tried everything...The Doctors are useless!!...Pat

Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
(female)

Camembert HB User

When I'm thinking about acid reflux, vomit, and other such pleasant things, I get a lot more heartburn.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

It is a combination of choosing the wrong kinds of foods, eating too often or eating too much. Stress can interfere with digestion. Eating slowly rather than in a hurry.

Look at the world we are in today:

Mostly all your foods are processed and you have so many chemicals in them. Compare a bag of regular chips to a bag of baked chips. You are better off eating the regular chips because there are so many chemicals in the baked chips.

When you eat out - there is so much fat in the food you just don't realize they are that fattening. Look it up one day you will be shocked.

Look at the French people they eat fatty meals and drink in moderation - first of all there meal portion are small and they eat real things rather than chemicals and they don't have many digestion problems like the U.S.

So I say YES, some of this is your head - just some of it. People need to slow down and relax - breathing exercises, meditation, exercise. Stress can take a big toll on your stomach and worrying. Stop eating out and fix your good at home - they put tons of salt in all food no wonder people have heart condition too.

Closed Thread