It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

painter207 HB User
How long for Nexium to work?

I have a stinging and burning in the back of my throat which makes it difficult to talk without being very uncomfortable. My ENT said I had acid reflux and it would take 6-8 weeks or longer to heal my throat. He said first the acid has to be gone in the stomach and then the throat and esaphogus get it's chance to heal. I am sooooo frustrated and getting depressed. Has anyone been in the same boat? does it eventually get better and go away? I've had myself on a low or no acid diet for 2 month. No coffe or alchohol...eat yogurt ...I seem to do everything right with no avail.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: How long for Nexium to work?

You are not alone. Do a search on this board for LPR. Laryngopharyngeal Reflux is tough to heal and miserable to live with. In all likelyhood, it will take a long while for you to see any relief. There are some who find relief in a month or two and others who are still searching for their solution.

LPR often requires taking the PPI twice a day. If once per day doesn't do it for you, talk to your doctor about increasing your dosages. Also, everyone has different results on PPI's. There is typically one that works better for people than the others. It takes trial and error to determine what works for you.

It took time for the damage an irritation to occur. It will take a while for things to heal as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Yes it can take quite awhile to even find relief. I am on Prevacid and it's been a couple of weeks. Mine is a little better but flares up immediately when I eat the wrong foods. The 4th of July has been rough for me. I think I am battling a sinus infection with this. You will find relief, just hang in there! Good luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

Thanks for your replies....I did call my ENT and asked if I could double the dose of Nexium to hurry it along and she said NO! This is a slow process and it takes time for the acid to go away and then it takes 8 or moreweeks to heal the throat. YIKES! I'm afraid to call again. I should really give it the eights weeks right? It's so irritatating because it doesn't take much in the line of food to irritate the throat some more. I don'r even have to be eating anything acidy. I don't have any heartburn and the mucus junk and back up has all pretty much gone except for the throat. but if you all say the "miracle" will happen I'll trust in you. Do you throats look red in the back. I have all these little blood vessels....ike. Hope to hear from you again.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

You are right..it is a SLOW process. I am incredibly impatient about all this. I went to the doctor this morning because I thought I had a bad sinus infection. Turns out she doesn't think I really have a sinus infection for sure. We are gonna give it a few more days. So this drainage and nasty taste in my mouth with the mucus (sorry graphic I know) is actually acid reflux which is not tamed down yet. Good grief! This is a tough tricky thing to deal with.
Hang in there!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

painter207 HB User

Tedd...do you have burning in the back of your throat too? It's so stressful because it's hard to talk without stinging.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, mostly recently I started having that. It's frustrating isn't it?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
(female)

painter207 HB User

So what do you suggest we do to help this to heal this away.........and have it stay away......

Closed Thread