It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

MissBoo HB User
New Here: Felt Worse After Omeprazole

About a month ago, I started with a nauseous stomach, and burping and eating would relieve it. That turned into the chest tightness. Had an EKG done, everything fine.

After taking Zantac, 175 twice a day, for a few days stomach was fine and just had air burps and the chest pulls. Eventually developed feeling of something in throat from burping and swallowing so much.

Went to GI, he told me I have acid reflux and to take omeprazole 20 mg twice a day. Five days after starting that my burping now burns and hurts my chest. I'm afraid to eat much to egg it on. GI tells me to take Pepcid Maximum Strength at night to help with the burning. Took one last night and it did help with the leftover burning in the day. I do not have any trouble with reflux while sleeping.

I actually felt better before taking the omeprazole, but know my doctor wants me to stay on it for a month. And I don't know how dangerous it is to just stop it.

Also I have been on birth control for over 13 years and it has never bothered me one bit. Could that be aggravating the reflux or if it was going to do that should it have done that when I first started taking it?

Any suggestions or previous experience would be appreciated.

Last edited by MissBoo; 07-07-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
(male)

lpr guy HB User
Re: New Here: Felt Worse After Omeprazole

To be honest just continue with it and see how it goes, I was on omep and it made me feel worse also, that was about 4 months ago and i just stopped taking it, so im still having symptoms but i just tough them out. See how it goes then if it goes bad maybe try nexium but ME personally dont belive in meds..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

painter207 HB User

lpr guy...Do you have the burning throat? I acually added Omeprazole. in the morning, along with my Nexium and the throat is a little better. still not gone...darn.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
(female)

MissBoo HB User

I talked to my mother-in-law last night who is a pharmacist and her son who has had reflux for years. Her son tried omeprazole for two weeks and it didn't work and went to Prevacid.

They both said the omeprazole should at least have been having small improvements on me by two weeks and not actually making me worse.

They suggested I call my doctor and asked to be switch to Prevacid.

I leave for vacation tomorrow and am so confused over what to do.

The Pepcid Maximum strength helps a ton at night after my dinner but I was told only to take it at night and that doesn't help me in the day.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
(male)

pollmayson HB User

hi my name is paulo its been very long a go that u left your message, your case is very similar to mine, after all this time what did work for you?? hope u can get this message thanks for reading xx Paulo martins

Closed Thread