It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

alphabetsoup HB User
Prilosec....??

Hi all..

I've been on daily prilosec for oh....years. I went off 2 days ago because I've been low-carbing and that usually eliminates my heartburn/indigestion. Well, I started with a slight touch of heartburn in the middle of last night...not bad enough to get up and find the tums. Today I have had heartburn pretty much non-stop since breakfast. In trying to stop it I've had 10 Tums smoothies, 2 prilosec tablets, 1 Tums dual action and even a good swig of Pepto and NOTHING has stopped the pain for long.

So my question is this...how long does it take for Prilosec to kick in? I've been all through their website and couldn't find that info out.

I'm really hoping that if I pick up with my 'usual' dose of prilosec in the morning that i will finally be caught up and get some relief *sigh*

Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Prilosec....??

my mom went through the same thing. She ran out of her prilosec and she had heartburn bad so she bought some at the store and then took it. It 4 hours to work after she took it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
(female)

Rivershore HB User
Re: Prilosec....??

My prilosec helped immediately, but you do have to take it on an empty stomach with water first thing in the morning. If you take it after you've eaten it just won't work the same. I think if you are going off a med you've been on that long you shouldn't go cold turkey like that. Talk to your dr or see if you can take a lower dose- read the instructions. Mine said if you have trouble swallowing to open the capsule into I think applesauce...perhaps you could take a shot and not taking the whole capsule.

Closed Thread