It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
(male)

night skies HB User
The Big Blanket

When scouring the internet to find out what this thing called Reflux was I came across many Health sites all giving info about the condition. By reading the many guidelines they give to fight the condition in an attempt to alleviate it to manageable levels or to make it extinct, there are the usual suspects they mention. I'm sure most of us here read those sites and followed their guideliness as to what to avoid, when to avoid and how to avoid, as well as reading the little leaflets that come with the meds we take etc. But from reading this forum and other forums the last few months on and off, I find that those guidelines don't work as we all are different. For example, so many sites say to totally avoid dairy, especially milk, especially at night. It's like they are throwing a big blanket over all of us saying what we should avoid and when to, how to etc.

How many of us immediately ruled out various foods and liquids after coming across the health sites and reading the leaflets etc? How wide ranging was the amount of foods and liquids you immediately cancelled from your diet at the drop of a hat one day? Was this because of all these guideliness you read, posts you read, leaflets you read or because of proper trials you experimented with during your days and nights? How many foods and liquids have you cancelled from your diet just because a health site said to, or a leaflet said to or a poster said to? Have you even tried those foods and/or liquids out again since the cancellation or not so due to the fear such sites, leaflets and posts cause you? How many comfort foods are on the cancelled list that once made you feel calm when consuming them, bringing a calming mood to a tough day? We talk about stress being a precursor to an onslaught of the conditions but wouldn't cancelling these comfort foods just add to that? or even cause it in the first place?

I just know from reading this forum for awhile now that the big blanket health sites, forums, docs etc throw over us in regards as to what to avoid, how to avoid, when to avoid etc just doesn't wash. There is a great chance that some foods/liquids I or anyone here has avoided for months could actually be a positive for us, whether it be of a physical nature or a mental one or both, but due to reading and hearing many reflux guidelines we have veered away from them due to fear and trepidation. I know some days I eat a chocolate and become calmed by it, not the taste per se but just the fact I am eating a mentally calming food. This is also the case with milk. It's always been my lifelong favourite drink. I would drink 4-5 glasses of it each and every day, falling into my milk world each time much like how people are when eating a chocolate, where you float off into a calming world. Since I've upped my milk intake again it's made me feel more mentally sound and calm instead of living in the grasp of the Water World way too much.

One theory I have realised of late is that when we alter our diet in a dramatic way, ruling out many comfort and calming foods and liquids, we could in fact add to the stress levels and mental instability, thus increasing our problems or prolonging them. I know when I would walk past the fridges at a supermarket and see all the milk it would just sadden me to realise I couldn't have much of it anymore like I loved to. This is the same with so many foods and liquids I used to have on a daily, weekly or fortnightly basis. I just no longer lift that glass of milk with fear anymore or have that cereal with fear anymore. I swear at times that the fear we suffer from, from all i've mentioned above, could in itself cause a bad reaction because we are expecting it will. Sometimes when we expect something strongly enough it will in fact happen. I'm not saying we should be super positive about what we're injesting so as to protect against any negative effect but just that we somehow need to live without fear anymore as to food and drink. Look at how the use of Fear by the Government works in relation to controlling the masses and what negativities that brings to light; it's what's happening here with us, but this time food and drink is playing the role of the Government. We need to lower our stress levels but I believe that Fear at times could play an even greater role in our malaise.

These are just my thoughts, opinions and theories so please don't leap at them with 100% belief. But I honestly hope it can help me and others here as well. Here's to a reflux-free night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: The Big Blanket

So are you saying that you eat and drink anything you want ? Do you suffer from refux the next day? I think we do fear the worst will happen and nobody really wants to start all over when you get the symptoms back ten fold after doing the no-no's. I don't anyway. Although I've cheated, but had to go back to being stricked about the diet.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
(male)

night skies HB User
Re: The Big Blanket

It's what's so difficult about the condition. I can eat throughout the day and have no symptoms arise in the 2 hours after eating whatsoever. I go to sleep just about every night feeling like I don't even have the condition so sleeping is now the great unknown rather than a comforting world to slip into. I've always read that when testing foods you should see how you react to them in those 2 hours after eating them. If nothing happens apply a tick, but if a negative reaction happens tick them off. Problem is nothing really causes me any symptoms after eating them. Could something you ate at say 10am affect you during sleep that night some 14hrs later? It seems weird to me for such a delayed reaction to occur or is this normal? I can lay in bed before going to sleep for say 2hrs watching a film or tv in the same incline I sleep at and have no problems at all yet when I fall asleep I can wake 2 hrs later with reflux... doesn't make sense. If the level of incline is causing the problem then why don't I get affected when laying that way when awake?

Closed Thread