It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

allsherote HB User
I really need support

I am at my wit's end. I for some reason cannot accept this as being LPR. I don't know why. I think it's because nothing helps me and I just want it to be something simple like allergies or something in a neat little package that will just go away when it gets cold out or when I take a pill. PPIs do not help, allergy meds have not helped. I have had a clear sinus CT scan. I had deviated septum surgery 4 years ago and sinuses are perfect. I had an MRI the last week of June of my entire head and neck and there were no masses or anything found. I do have anxiety problems and always have had them. I wake up with my throat a little sore but not unbearable, by the time lunch rolls around it's raw and burns. It feels like a chemical burn. I also have the constant need to clear my throat and I can see post nasal drip in the back of my throat when I look at it with a flashlight. It used to be the pain was more up in my nasal passages and now if feels like it's in my throat. I do not have strep. What am I supposed to do to get rid of this? Or at least make it bearable to exist? It feels like I have strep about 90% of the time and my ENT says allergies or LPR. More likely LPR. Does anyone know of any natural cures that I can try or other meds besides PPIs? The PPIs don't work and they make me so sick to my stomach I can't stand to work. I am losing weight becaus I am afraid to eat and I cannot stand to lose anymore weight. I keep thinking cancer is lurking due to the persistent soreness but I have had it since March and my recent MRI was "boringly normal" according to my ENT. I do not know what else to try or do? I cannot live with a sore throat for the rest of my life. It wears you down after a while. I have maybe felt regurgatation in my throat 4 times since this has happened and other than burping a lot I don't feel my reflux other than those 4 times. I just cannot believe there is what seems to be no help for this condition. Please any suggestions are welcome. I have been in tears all morning from the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

allsherote HB User
Re: I really need support

If any of you suggest anything natural please let me know what kind to get and how much to take each day. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hello Allsherote! Bless your heart! It's gonna be ok. It's a daily battle. I know because I deal with this too. It's different everyday depending on what you eat and your stress level..etc...I was doing well on Prevacid but have had to go off of it for a few days because I am going to run a test that requires saliva and fecal (yuck!) samples. I can not take antacids of vitamins for 3 days. I have a naturalpathic nurse that is going to help me figure our why I have all these digestive issues. I do NOT want to be on meds all my life for this. I don't think you do eithor.

My advice to you is to perhaps do some testing like this. After mine comes back I will be taking a new digestive enzyme that I bought from her. I am already taking digestive enzymes (which I have to stop for this testing). Our bodies are actually missing live enzymes, that's why we have acid reflux. As we age this happens. I highly recommend a probiotic. Wether it's a tablet or a yogurt, make sure you are taking that. I also buy special gentle teas that feel good on my tummy and help cleanse me. Diet is crucial for all this. At age 44 I can no longer eat like I had been. I am going through perimenopause and this is terriable on the body. So I am also taking bioidentical hormone creams topically to bring my hormone levels up. I recommend that for you if you are late 30's and older. Get fresh healthy food into your body.
When I cheat with a Coke like I did today or a cupcake...anything sinful. lol It can really mess things up. My digestive track just goes haywire. I feel crappy, I am in on the toilet or have the reflux starting up. I then get anxiety etc...can you relate??

Stress is at an all time high for us all. I am losing my house to foreclosure in 8 weeks. We fought to hard for 2 years to save it, now its over. I must start my life over and live with my daugher for awhile. This causes so much stress on the digestive track. God doesn't want us to live like this. I pray I make it through all this, I pray we all do. No one is alone in all this. I think this is a big factor in the acid reflux.

I can give you some lists of good foods and teas etc....Just hang in there ok! You aren't alone. There are so many of us just making our way through this kind of ailment. Always here to talk!

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-15-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

First of all if you took ppi's how long did you take them for? LPR takes a long time to heal. My ENT said to take Nexium at least 8 weeks and that it will take much longer to heal the throat, after the acid is taken care of in your tummy. My girfriends son said his throat got better between 8 and 16 weeks. So we have to hang in there. It's awful to have cronic pain in the throat. The neck feels tight etc. Ilost a lot of weight because I was afraid to eat because of the s/e's too. Finally I got a little anxiety pill that helps a lot. The more anxious we are the more it keeps hurting. I'm started a natural aproach and will let you know when and if it helps me. Just rember to eat kind of bland. I was downing plain yogurt like crazy to find out that all dairy and YOGURT is very bad for acid reflux.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Use a air purifier in your room when you sleep. I use saline spray daily to clear my air passages, then I use a saline flush once a week that cleans out my nasal passages and prevents the nasal drip at night. The saline flush you lean over a sink and flush salt water through your nose. You can get this at any drug store. Do you carpet in your bedroom and do have pets. I removed my carpet and then my pets do not sleep in my bedroom. I sleep with lots of pillows under my head. You be snoring at night and dont know it which can really irritate the throat. Do not eat late at night. Try to relax, I know it is hard but when you concentrate on it so much you get real bad anxiety.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
(female)

allsherote HB User

I'm sure I didn't take the PPIs long enough but I got so sick. How does one cope with the sickness while allowing the throat time to heal? How do you cope with the constipation and stomach pains?

I do have air purifier in my bedroom and my cat does not sleep with us at all. I do prop my head up. I do know that when I force myself to be calm or really work on it I don't have as much pain.

I am really afraid that I will not be able to take the PPIs long enough for me to heal and it's a catch 22 of pain, anxiety and fear of wondering what is really wrong.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
(female)

allsherote HB User

please share your list of foods! Thanks for kind post!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
(female)

TigerGalLE HB User

I'm sorry you are going through this. Sounds like classic LPR to me... I have all your same symptoms.... I was diagnosed with LPR in January and it has been a rough last year.... I would try different PPIs. See if you can find 1 that works then take it twice daily. Avoid soda, tea, coffee. Avoid chocolate. Avoid alcohol. No tomato foods, no spicy foods, no fried foods.... Try to eat a very bland diet until your throat heals... Like bread, rice, boiled chicken....

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
(female)

Camembert HB User

I'm sorry you're going through so much pain. It's terrible to be constantly worrying, not being able to enjoy eating food.

Do you have any heartburn symptoms? I found that manuka honey helps a lot with that. (I seem to be this board's Manuka Honey Evangelist).

Again, I hope you find some answers soon. We are always willing to provide support.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
(female)

painter207 HB User

Allshewrote...Stay away from dairy, spicey foods coffee, alcohol.(darn) Eat simple like meats, cooked vegies and yams or mashed potatoes. This seemed to not make it WORSE. But I have to agree with Camenbert.....Manuka honey was the thing that started my throat to heal. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if it was coincidence but it was so wonderful. How long have you had the throat sore? Did you have tummy relief when you went off the ppi's? Try the diet and then try a different ppi. You can't eat whatever you want just because you are on a pill. Everything goes together. When ever my stomach acts up a little I take a teaspoon of honey. It needs to be raw honey.

Closed Thread