It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
Apple Cider Vinegar for reflux

I have been reading that Apple Cider Vinegar is great for reflux.
Has anyone tried it and does it work? You are supposed to take 2 to 3 tsp. with water and drink it once or twice a day......I am tempted to try it.....I am off my prilisec and have noticed that my symptoms are slight.....Don't want them to return. I felt great while on the Prilisec but don't want to take that forever.....comments? bride527

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar for reflux

If you don't have any burning in your throat or esaphogus I guess it's worth a try. But if you have pain in those places It wouldn't be a good idea. It will make it burn. The raw esaphogus and throat is probably from acid anyway, if that's what you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Painter, I never tried ACV for GERD, but you mean if people have no burning in the throat then ACV is good? I mean, I have no burning now (at this exact moment), but I know that when I eat something, I'm going to burp and that's going to burn my throat. Does that disqualify me?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

I guess what I'm saying is..i have constant burning in the back of my throat ans sometimes the tongure. This tells me that It's caused from acid, so there is no reason for ME to take ACV and make my situation worse. Give it a try. If your throat is in good shape the vinegar shouldn't hurt your throat because it's not inflamed.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
(female)

Camembert HB User

I've looked into ACV and it seems very hit and miss. Some people swear by it, some people are forever traumatised by it.

I haven't tried it myself.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
(male)

Beeb HB User

As people age, they tend to produce less acid. The use of apple cider vinegar is too supplement the reduction of acid for those people to help digest food. If your problem is not due to a reduction of acid, this remedy would make things worse.

More specifically, many naturopathic physicians believe that the supplement betaine hydrochloride can aid GERD by increasing stomach acid. This sounds paradoxical, since conventional treatment involves reducing stomach acid. However, according to one theory, lack of stomach acid leads to incomplete digestion of proteins; these proteins cause allergic reactions and other responses that lead to an increase in reflux. When taken as a supplement, betaine hydrochloride provides extra hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Naturopathy has long held that low stomach acid is a widespread problem that interferes with digestion and the absorption of nutrients. Betaine hydrochloride is one of the most common recommendations for this proposed condition, along with the choice of apple cider vinegar. But, scientific evidence is lacking to prove or disprove this.

Digestive enzymes are another thing we try to break down the proteins. All we can do is try and see what works for ourselves; what works for me may not work for you. Good luck!

Last edited by Beeb; 07-20-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
(female)

angelee12 HB User

I tried it thinking it was a miracle cure like everyone claimed. I made mine WORSE!!! The burning was 10x worse.!!!! Be careful!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
(female)

Dianescat HB User

Thanks to the reminder from here!

I just tried ACV yesterday and it worked for me. I took it after I ate and was having GERD symptoms, buring all the way up to my throat, nausea... Drank it and it stopped buring and nausea, in a while the rawness in my throat went away.

I stopped Prilosec, (omeprazole) when it started to cause gas and bloating, which are issues for me anyway. I didn't even know it was an antacid or I wouldn't have taken it.

First took Pril a few years ago when I was on a prescription pain pill, that caused the burning and reflux. Finally I stopped that pain medication.
lately I have been taking extra nsaids and symptoms started, etc

Years ago I read about ACV and tried it for weight loss or something. Now with age and too many meds, my stomach is getting sensitive I guess.

I plan to try Betaine HCL for this problem, but until I order some the ACV seems to help. Also the Papaya enzyme tablets

Last edited by Dianescat; 07-26-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

painter207 HB User

My acid problems acually started when taking certain medications. One biggy was the Osteoporosis drugs. For me they were killers. Got HB so bad I ended up in the ER thinking I had a heart attack. I am very med sensitive as well.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Dianescat,

Since the ACV works for you, is it okay to ask how old you are?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
(female)

Dianescat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trymester View Post
Dianescat,

Since the ACV works for you, is it okay to ask how old you are?
I'm 63

Never had any digestive problems until my late forties

Yesterday I did buy some Betaine HCL, 1000mg in 2 tablets

took 2 last night before dinner

seemed to work well and didn't use the ACV or the papaya enzymes

I will continue this. One problem I was having was difficulty swallowing, to the point I was choking on food that went down "wrong way" several times in each meal. That's why my allergist prescribed the Omeprazole

seems like overkill

This concerns me because my mother and a friend both take Omeprazole and it seems they still have stomach pain and trouble

from my experience it seems it causes gas and bloating

So then what? I wasn't even told about that

if simple remedy or supplement can help, why can't the word get out

not digesting your food can cause health problems.. so just treating a symptom, and not treating it very well

is a stupid idea

Is Nexium any different? I heard it was just changed a little so they could get a new patent

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
As people age, they tend to produce less acid. The use of apple cider vinegar is too supplement the reduction of acid for those people to help digest food. If your problem is not due to a reduction of acid, this remedy would make things worse.
I'm not sure if my issues are because of too much acid, or too little, but at the age of 24 years old, it sees like ACV may not be for me.

Is the HCL taken for the same reason the ACV is taken? If not, I may look into it. What online or real world store has a good deal on the HCL?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
(female)

Camembert HB User

I'm currently gathering courage to try ACV. It's on the bench taunting me. I hear it can be either very good or very bad. It can make some people throw up. And I don't want to throw up. I hate throwing up. I'm sure no one likes it, but I absolutely hate it. Hate hate hate. I would rather endure the hours of agony than throw up. I'd rather do pretty much anything than throw up.

Update: I'm drinking it now. It isn't too bad actually. It doesn't taste like chocolate or anything, but it isn't lethal-tasting. I used it in hot water and honey, which probably helps soften the taste.

Last edited by Camembert; 08-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
(male)

lex7500 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCman View Post
I'm not sure if my issues are because of too much acid, or too little, but at the age of 24 years old, it sees like ACV may not be for me.

Is the HCL taken for the same reason the ACV is taken? If not, I may look into it. What online or real world store has a good deal on the HCL?
Hey man...I was wondering if you ever gave the ACV a try? I'm 21 male and believe the only problem i have is LPR. If yes, what kind of results did you have?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
(female)

smclau2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride527 View Post
I have been reading that Apple Cider Vinegar is great for reflux.
Has anyone tried it and does it work? You are supposed to take 2 to 3 tsp. with water and drink it once or twice a day......I am tempted to try it.....I am off my prilisec and have noticed that my symptoms are slight.....Don't want them to return. I felt great while on the Prilisec but don't want to take that forever.....comments? bride527
It didn't work for me. But I only did it a few times. How long are you supposed to do it before it starts working? I read that you are supposed to mix in 1 teasp. of raw honey with it. I've also tried apples, Aloe Vera juice, Zegerid, Prilosec, and Nexium. Nothing works for me.

Closed Thread