It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Question I'm bored..what to drink?

For about 4-5 years now, I've limited my beverages to mostly water, soy milk/almond milk, water, water, water and more water.

This change has been because I have fought to keep my reflux under control. Between that and newly developed IBS, I can't find much to drink. I occassionally use those pour-ins with my water, but really don't like the aftertaste of most of them. Per my doctor, I avoid citrus juices, tomato juices or spicy things, caffeine, carbonation, alcohol, coffee and teas (although I occassionally splurge on a glass of decaf iced tea), raw fruits and veggies, dairy. When I do try adding them in, I typically get a reaction of some sort. Although, I can occassionally tolerate a glass of white grape juice though.

I've been craving Coke, V-8 or OJ, but know I shouldn't drink them. I think it is really because I'm bored with my limited range of drinks.

Anyone out there have ideas on something that would be "safe" to drink?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
(female)

Camembert HB User
Re: I'm bored..what to drink?

While peppermint is supposed to be a no-no, I find that peppermint tea helps me. Maybe it's because the peppermint is dilute, and it helps digestion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
(female)

HappyEl HB User

How about... milkshake?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

How about making decaf ice tea or is that a no no - I drink it with no problem. I kicked the diet coke habit. I love decaf ice tea.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Thank you for your responses.

I'm not supposed to drink tea. I'll admit that I've cheated with an occassional decaf iced tea. I found a great flavored one that I really enjoy when I was at Cheesecake Factory several years ago. I later found a place where I can get it decaf. For years, my iced tea maker has been my friend. I hated giving up the tea several years ago. I figure it is the "best of the worst" of the things I should avoid. Most of the time I do OK with the decaf, but not every time.

I'll admit I used to be the person who drank multiple glasses of pop at one sitting. I actually did OK going off of it, but after so many years, I've started craving it again big-time.

As for the milkshake, I try making a non-dairy one occassionally, but it really isn't the same. I used to live for ice cream. It was really hard when I had to lay off the dairy.

I take an enteric coated peppermint capsule to help with digestion. I try the occassional peppermint tea, but haven't gotten used to the taste yet.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

MountainReader, You are so good at following orders. As you know, I'm awful. Since I never know what's going to do what, I drink about anything including a beer now and then. Yes, I pay for it in some way but feel life is not worth living if you can't enjoy something you really like ever once in awhile. I need to break the Coke habit big time mainly because of wt. It actually seems to help my LPR? Go figure. I do the Java Chillers and cough my head off afterward but sometimes I do the same with a glass of water. It's a shame after surgery that you are still having to watch your diet. I say we all go for a drink sometime!

Charla

Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

I totally understand just going ahead and drinking whatever, even knowing the consequences. I've done that in the past.

Post-surgery, I think maybe I'd do OK with some things in terms of how bad the acid irritates my lungs. My biggest worry, and the reason that my GI doc told me I needed to continue to follow the diet, is that my stomach produces excessive acid. He had concerns about "break through" acid, but also about the effect of the excess acid hitting the rest of my digestive system when it is unable to come up. I end up with IBS issues instead.

Sometimes when I cheat, I pay for it. I just haven't figured out my trigger foods because I can be fine one time and have problems the next.

I know coffee is bad, but that Java Chiller sounds really really good.

Tried a pop a while back...gas bloat syndrome kicks in. One of the "consequences" of the surgery.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

This is a bit of a bump. I'm still looking for some ideas on reflux-friendly things to drink. I'm really, really tired of just drinking water.

I do OK with water, soy/almond milk and lately an occassional decaf iced tea. I'm hoping that someone out there has something additional that works well for them.

Charberry, I gave in and had a Frappaccino one day. It tasted great, but I had lots of belching afterwards. Doesn't taste as great the second time. I tried a cherry Icee, but it was a bit too sweet for me anymore. How has your coughing been lately? I know it has been the same for a while. Have you tried eliminating the Coke yet? If so, is it working? You've been sending messages, but you aren't receiving anymore. I hope you are doing well.

MountainReader

Closed Thread