It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
(female)

trueblue000 HB User
Question Me and the acid...some ???'s

Hi there,

Been doing a bit of browsing - thought I'd share my symptoms to see if anyone had similar and if there are any answers to my scatterbrained questions!

A few months ago sometimes when I went to bed I use to feel like my food hadn't gone down properly. It felt like I was topped up right to the top of my throat, it was uncomfortable but not necessarily painful. Maybe a couple of times a week I would get that feeling mildly. Disappeared when I was up and about.

This feeling got more frequent until I started getting it after most big meals. Now I have it most of the time (for the last week or so). I haven't taken anything for it or been to the doctor as most people seem to think I have acid reflux. Today only I got some antacid to see if it might help. The chemist also said likely to be acid reflux.

Now I realise I have THE diet that would trigger acid reflux....love my wine, all acidic foods like anything tomato based, spicy, onions, garlic, citrus fruit, caffeine etc. But I've never had any problems with digestion before so I am a bit non-plussed why I find myself here all of a sudden! I am 34.

I am phasing out the above to see if it gets better but is this something that clears up over time so you can return to the foods you love? I will be most upset if I can't have a curry now and again!

Or is this a more permanent situtation....if so, what might the dr help me with if I'm not keen on taking meds but prefer to manage it naturally through changing my diet?

Any hints welcome on managing it naturally too....I see Manuka honey is on the list...woop woop - I'm in New Zealand! I've given myself a week to note any improvement from changing my ways otherwise I'm off to the doctor anyway...is this long enough to notice a difference?

Oh and I've had also had intermittent fluttering in my chest - feels like I'm skipping a breath or something. But not very frequently - not sure how that would be related but will throw it in anyway.

Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

angel011089 HB User
Smile Re: Me and the acid...some ???'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue000 View Post
Hi there,

Been doing a bit of browsing - thought I'd share my symptoms to see if anyone had similar and if there are any answers to my scatterbrained questions!

A few months ago sometimes when I went to bed I use to feel like my food hadn't gone down properly. It felt like I was topped up right to the top of my throat, it was uncomfortable but not necessarily painful. Maybe a couple of times a week I would get that feeling mildly. Disappeared when I was up and about.

This feeling got more frequent until I started getting it after most big meals. Now I have it most of the time (for the last week or so). I haven't taken anything for it or been to the doctor as most people seem to think I have acid reflux. Today only I got some antacid to see if it might help. The chemist also said likely to be acid reflux.

Now I realise I have THE diet that would trigger acid reflux....love my wine, all acidic foods like anything tomato based, spicy, onions, garlic, citrus fruit, caffeine etc. But I've never had any problems with digestion before so I am a bit non-plussed why I find myself here all of a sudden! I am 34.

I am phasing out the above to see if it gets better but is this something that clears up over time so you can return to the foods you love? I will be most upset if I can't have a curry now and again!

Or is this a more permanent situtation....if so, what might the dr help me with if I'm not keen on taking meds but prefer to manage it naturally through changing my diet?

Any hints welcome on managing it naturally too....I see Manuka honey is on the list...woop woop - I'm in New Zealand! I've given myself a week to note any improvement from changing my ways otherwise I'm off to the doctor anyway...is this long enough to notice a difference?

Oh and I've had also had intermittent fluttering in my chest - feels like I'm skipping a breath or something. But not very frequently - not sure how that would be related but will throw it in anyway.

Cheers.
hello the flutter in your chest are called pvc i get hem to it goes along with the acid reflux sorry your sick there is a bunch of us on here I have it bad Got a upper gi yesterday sowed hernia hital and acid reflux I have alot of upper stomach pains and at times feels like i am having a heart attack I hate this i also heard about the honey but i live in oklahoma i dont think we have it here well I hope you feel better soon angel

Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

hoopoe HB User
Re: Me and the acid...some ???'s

I hope you can get some relief through diet changes, but if not then you will need the meds. They may help you recover more quickly, but it's also important that you treat this somehow so that you don't damage your esophagus too much. That can lead to all kinds of worse problems, including cancer.

Anyway, good luck with the treatment. From what I understand talking to people, it can go away but you will always have to be careful about your diet. I totally get your concern, though. I'm also a big fan of ALL the bad foods (probably partly why I got into this mess) and I am dying to have alcohol and chocolate again. Even so, I know it can wait until I'm feeling better.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

trueblue000 HB User

Thanks heaps for the posts guys - it just feels better knowing you are not the only one experiencing these symptoms! And yes, it's a totally uncomfortable, constant feeling which I can't stop thinking about - apparently that doesn't help either grrrrr....

I've since been to the GP who prescribed a short run of Ranitidine (Zantac) I popped one - felt better for one day and then despite taking a consecutive, have the feeling back this morning! Grrrr...was a bit naive of me to think it would clear up after one pill anyway lol.

GP thinks it's probably acid reflux. Said to limit caffeine (I drink decaf but this is out too) and alcohol as these are most common causes. Funnily enough said that food is very rarely the cause (unless you have a completely stupid diet which I don't) but can be an aggravator. She is quite hollistic and is a big fan of managing this naturally....has given me 4 weeks to see if there is improvements from dietary changes. Also I stopped excercising a couple of months ago as my pool shut (I used to swim most days) - she said that could be a contributor, as well as low lying stress. If no improvement I'm off for the endo thing to make sure nothing more serious is going on in my pipes.

Angel, thanks for the clue on the fluttering - I will look it up, I thought I was having some kind of heart thing too but then realised it wasn't really anywhere near the heart - more central than that. Sorry to hear you feel real bad - hopefully get some respite soon. I'm sure you can source Manuka honey maybe online (though not sure how effective it would be) - I got some at the super last night and will give it a go and let you know.

All the best guys and thanks again for the posts!

Jen

Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

angel011089 HB User
Smile Re: Me and the acid...some ???'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue000 View Post
Thanks heaps for the posts guys - it just feels better knowing you are not the only one experiencing these symptoms! And yes, it's a totally uncomfortable, constant feeling which I can't stop thinking about - apparently that doesn't help either grrrrr....

I've since been to the GP who prescribed a short run of Ranitidine (Zantac) I popped one - felt better for one day and then despite taking a consecutive, have the feeling back this morning! Grrrr...was a bit naive of me to think it would clear up after one pill anyway lol.

GP thinks it's probably acid reflux. Said to limit caffeine (I drink decaf but this is out too) and alcohol as these are most common causes. Funnily enough said that food is very rarely the cause (unless you have a completely stupid diet which I don't) but can be an aggravator. She is quite hollistic and is a big fan of managing this naturally....has given me 4 weeks to see if there is improvements from dietary changes. Also I stopped excercising a couple of months ago as my pool shut (I used to swim most days) - she said that could be a contributor, as well as low lying stress. If no improvement I'm off for the endo thing to make sure nothing more serious is going on in my pipes.

Angel, thanks for the clue on the fluttering - I will look it up, I thought I was having some kind of heart thing too but then realised it wasn't really anywhere near the heart - more central than that. Sorry to hear you feel real bad - hopefully get some respite soon. I'm sure you can source Manuka honey maybe online (though not sure how effective it would be) - I got some at the super last night and will give it a go and let you know.

All the best guys and thanks again for the posts!

Jen
no problem thanks again for listen im always checking in on the board if you ever just want to talk your new friend angel

Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

trueblue000 HB User

Right so bit of an update.....no improvement from Zantac so I went back to my Doctor who has prescribed Prilosec twice a day. I have now also booked into a gastro for consult and sticking that wee camera down my pipes which will happen in a few weeks.

I've had one good day in a week (out of three or so), the rest have been pretty much 'bad' days. Same symptoms just more pronounced...mostly the lump in my throat business, which is constant and a scratchy, biley feeling in the back of my throat. There is also a bubbling sensation sometimes and what I describe as 'hot' breath...not smelly just loaded with something rather than breath - seething. I have had some chesty, heart burny symptoms but not often and have a sore back (which was happening before all this started but also seems more pronounced). I don't seem to have a lot of mucus but a small amount just sits there all the time making me want to clear my throat. Burping seems to releive the pressure momentarily and becoming a wonderful pastime for the moment. I don't feel nauseous and there has been no effect on my appettie or other digestive processes like bowel function etc.

Can anyone please shed some light on the below questions ...

If taking Prilosec how long do you give it to notice any improvement? Approaching a week on two a day and there is no change.

Does it still matter what you are eating/drinking while on the meds? I had a couple of work functions last week where I had a few wines and ate what I wanted....will this have set back the Prilosec helping?

Has anyone been worried about oesphagus cancer and how similar the symtoms are to reflux conditions (silly question really - must cross everyone's minds!), this was mentioned to me by my GP and has totalled freaked me out being an ex-smoker and someone who likes their wine! Upped the stress factor big time! I also wonder whether my giving up smoking could have triggered the condition, I'm not planning on taking it back up - just looking for answers.....

And some practical steps should the endo thing come back clear (which I am desperately hoping it will) would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone is doing the best they can - these healthboards are a real help.

Take care

Jen

Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

angel011089 HB User

I have been on priloec for 2 years it dont really help me I have ask the dr if I should change maybe my body is just to use to it right he just says there all about the same so you know what I did I went out and bought a pill book on all drugs and wat tyhey do and i am going to try and prove him wrong lol but anyway it took about 2 weeks to get the full effect of prilosec good luck I agree i love to hear back from all yu guys it really helps

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-15-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
(female)

liselle7 HB User

hi, yes i too get freaked out by the thought of esoph. cancer. especially barrett's esophagus which comes first and that's when the lining of the esophagus starts to change. that's like pre-cancer. avoid drinking any alcohol and google some natural remedies for acid reflux - like taking DGL licorice, make sure it's chewable, it can be found at health food stores/homeopathic pharmacies. try seeing a naturopathic doctor if you can afford it-most don't take insurance but can offer natural cures you can try. * Disallowed website removed by hb-mod, moderator *
good luck

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-16-2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
(female)

trueblue000 HB User

Thanks for the tips Liselle.....am off to the site now as I defintely would prefer to treat this naturally if I can! And I love licorice....cheers again.

Jen

Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

Hey Jen!

Yup! I've been there! I've even woke up in the middle of the night choking on the acid that came up from my stomach into my mouth. NOT pleasant I can tell you! But yes, all of your symptoms I've had/have.

I had the old camera down the tubes a couple years ago. It showed a hiatus hernia and schatzki ring. You should look up the ring. It sounds just like you.

I take a 30mg Prevacid disolvable pill twice a day. I also keep the Rolaids by the bed "just in case". Also when my throat likes to start "moaning" at me when I lay down I use gas-x. I hardly ever have trouble at all any more as long as I don't eat or drink anything before bed. Especially something spicy!

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for after the exam! Keep us up to date!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
(female)

trueblue000 HB User

Thanks Dragonmine.....defintely a post I enjoyed reading! Will look into the ring thing and post an update after the endoscopy.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread