It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

painter207 HB User
Who takes Nexium 2 X a day ??

If anyone out there takes Nexium twice a day, please tell me and others how long it will take to get rid of this silent reflux irritated throat??
I've read in some old forums that with the throat soreness you must take two PPI"S. Is this correct?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Who takes Nexium 2 X a day ??

If you have LPR, it takes very little acid to irritate your throat. It is also the hardest type of reflux to control. Many people find success with controlling their symptoms on twice a day PPI's. It does take a while for it to "heal" your throat, if it does work. Some get relief soon, for others it may take 6 or 8 weeks. For others still, it just doesn't work. Each PPI works different for different people.

Nexium is one of the most popular to try and works for many people. Nexium was horrible for me, but I found better success with Prevacid Solutabs. It really is an individual thing.

If you do have LPR, it isn't a short turn thing to "cure". There is no cure, there is just trying to control the acid. This is helped through the medication, diet changes and lifestyle changes.

I've never had an option from any of my docs of going off of the PPI's. I've been on them twice a day for about 7 years until recently when they have a new PPI out that has a delayed time release and allows me to take it just once per day.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Moutain Reader,

What is the delayed release tablet? I am on 2x's a day Protonix?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Kapidex has a delayed release system. It has the same active ingredient as Prevacid. It is new on the market and expensive, but through next March, there is a coupon on-line that gives an automatic re-imbursement of about $50 per refill. After that, I may go back to Prevacid. It will be OTC and generic by that time.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
(male)

Businessman HB User

Hi - new to this board so here it goes. 39 Year old male. I was recently put on Nexium 40mg twice a day for acid reflux. It's been three weeks and not sure it's helping.

Here's how it started. I was having chest pains and a little dizziness for about a month or two and the first doctor visit they though that I had some BPPV (vertigo) so we did some steroids and positional exercises. (always had sinus issues for years - assumed alergies) That seemed to clear it up, but the chest pain did not go away. I started to loose my appetite and was loosing weight rapidly. I was also having a dry cough and sinus pressure. I tried some Prilosec OTC for a week and it did not go away. Didn't really have classic heartburn, but lots of gas.

So I went back a few weeks later and complained about indigestion and chest pain. They did an EKG, X-ray, CBC (blood test) and asthma test. All came back normal and ruled out that it was my heart and said it may be acid reflux. So they put me on Nexium. (Wow- that stuff is expensive!) I've been on it for three weeks now and I don't like the side effects. My chest pain got worse and I started to feel it in my back. It also gives me bad drymouth. I've cut out fatty foods, coffee, sweets, but still have a light beer now and then. This past week, some days I only take 1 morning dose if pain is too bad. I seem to have better luck with Mylanta at controlling my stomach issues. What were your simptoms on Nexium?

I called them back and they said the chest pain could be costochondritis (swelling of chest cartillage), so we they told me to try advil 600mg three times a day. I did ease the sharp pains, but I still have dull pain in my chest after a week. Not enough to go to the ER, but enough to drive you nuts and cause a lot of discomfort. I am ruling out anxiety here, as I know all too well what a panic attack is like from years past. No racing heart, just this is a dull contstant pain now on my sternum

I don't want to keep going back to doc and complaining, but I'm not getting the releif from the chest pain. I am assuming that it's still acid reflux and debating on whether or not to contiue the Nexium and work the over the counter meds like mylanta, and pepto. I don't like the Nexium, but if helps I may stay on it. I've read way too many people having bad side effects from it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
(female)

painter207 HB User

Wow, two Nexium twice a day right out of the shoot? That's unusual. I had to have one for three month before my ENT put me on two. I've been having some back discomfort and was wondering if it could be the Nexium.
Just remember this is not an overnight fix. It takes years to get where you are and it won't heal overnight. You need to give it a chance, for at least 8 weeks and sometimes more. I'm going on 13 weeks myself and I still have the sore throat.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
(male)

Businessman HB User

Yeah, I know - its just frustrating. Strange thing is that I don't have classic heartburn. Is that what they call silent heartburn? The pain almost feels like it's on the outside, like where the abdominal muscles join the ribs. Right in the Xiphoid Process area. Advil does help, but been told to take that with food for obvious reasons.

I went back on two nexium pills a day again as perscribed and getting diarrhea in the mornings now. Back pain is mild. I do think it's the Nexium, but I will give this more time and follow up with my doctor next week. It will have been a month. How long does it typically take the LES to heal?

Thanks for the support.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
(male)

Businessman HB User

Update - Went to doctor last week. Took follow up x-ray and did exam. So now I am off Nexium 40MG (2x/day). did for 1 month. Check up was normal. Doctor gave me perscription for Prilosec (generic) for when any heartburn comes back (much cheaper for my insurance plan). Their diagnosis is IBS. My stomach/chest pain could very well be stress/anxiety, although I think I do pretty well to manage that. If not better in a few weeks, I am supposed to schedule an abdominal ultrasound. Doctor did not feel that I needed to be scoped or CT scanned at this point. Ultrasound could eliminate a sluggish gallbladder, but the follow up x-ray showed not stones.

So we are trying fiber and probiotics. And actually I think the fiber is working. I am having more substantial BM and better color brown stool (was yellow and watery often). I think the nexium contributed to some of the cramping pain and diareaha. Slowly introducing regular food back into the diet. Lost like 22 lbs in 6 weeks.

I am also going to try relaxation breathing and stretching for stomach tightness. I still get pain in the xiphoid process area if sitting still on the couch or chair. Which the doctor thinks may be stress related. Just not sure. Does anyone have any good suggestions for that?

Thanks for listening.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
(female)

anonymousinsc HB User

I have been on Nexium twice a day with breakthrough symptoms that no antiacids or other meds seem to relieve. I finally found a GI doctor who is determined to get to the bottom of my problem by doing an endoscopy (I've had several over the years and I already have some damage showing up on the esophagus from the acid), but he is also doing a Bravo study. He has also told me things no other GI doctor has mentioned. He told me that there can be many other causes for symtoms when large doses of meds like Nexium are not working and it can be treated. I think I have finally found the right doc determined to find out the problem and not leave me miserable.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
(female)

anonymousinsc HB User

Don't give up. If you don't get answers and relief, try another doctor. It took a move of 700 miles and two tries in my new location to find a good guy!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousinsc View Post
I have been on Nexium twice a day with breakthrough symptoms that no antiacids or other meds seem to relieve. I finally found a GI doctor who is determined to get to the bottom of my problem by doing an endoscopy (I've had several over the years and I already have some damage showing up on the esophagus from the acid), but he is also doing a Bravo study. He has also told me things no other GI doctor has mentioned. He told me that there can be many other causes for symtoms when large doses of meds like Nexium are not working and it can be treated. I think I have finally found the right doc determined to find out the problem and not leave me miserable.
Hi--I am having the Bravo study starting this Wed. Has your Dr given you any instructions to follow before---like being off the Nexium for X amount of days?? I've been told to continue taking my Aciphex. It doesn't make alot of sense to have the study done while on PPI's. I remember reading somewhere that you discontnue them prior to the test.

Anyone that's been through this test??? I'd be interested to hear how things went.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Who told you to continue taking the Aciphex? Was it your doctor?

Here is the typical routine prior to the test:

7 days before the test, do not take PPI's

2 days before the test, do not take the H2 blockers

24 hours before the test, do not take antacids

4 to 6 hours before your appointment do not eat or drink

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Who told you to continue taking the Aciphex? Was it your doctor?

Here is the typical routine prior to the test:

7 days before the test, do not take PPI's

2 days before the test, do not take the H2 blockers

24 hours before the test, do not take antacids

4 to 6 hours before your appointment do not eat or drink
I received a letter form my Gastro Dr. with instructions:

I should stay ON stomach/antireflux medications.

Eat NO solid foods after midnight.

I may have clear liquids up to six hours before the procedure.

There's a list of drugs the must be stopped 5 to 7 days prior, but none apply to me. As I have such poor response to PPI's he wants to determine if I am refluxing bile or bile & acid, so maybe that has something to do with NOT stopping the Aciphex. I still think it doesn't sound right. I only have 3 days to go before the procedure anyway. I'm calling 1st thing Mon a.m. & will question the instrutions. Thanks for the response!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
(female)

anonymousinsc HB User

Follow your doctor's specific instructions. They can differ. They will always want you to not eat or drink at least 6 hours prior to the procedure. However, they may differ about whether they want you to continue to take your usual proton pump inhibitors before a Bravo test. My doctor said the nurses will tell me to stop them but I am definitely to take them as usual...He wants to see if I am still producing acid despite my Nexium twice a day teatment regimen. Clarify instructions with your doctor and make sure you understand clearly what you are supposed to do about your usual meds.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
(female)

TigerGalLE HB User

AnonymousinSC

May I ask which doctor you found in SC to be so good? I'm in SC and currently trying to find a good MD that can help me with my reflux. My current ENT wants me to have surgery. I need a second opinion.

Thanks
<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-20-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread