It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

chook439 HB User
Question LPR: What works for you?

Hi,
I think i have LPR (i'm yet to speak to a doctor about this, but i'm pretty certain!). I'm going to the doctor very soon, to see if there are any medications i can take to relieve the symptoms. For the last year i've been experiencing constant mucus in my throat, post nasal drip, breathing problems (especially at night), and it's really not pleasant, as i'm sure you all know! What i really want to get rid of is the constant throat mucus. It gives me awful breath, and makes me pretty embarrassed, as well as causing general discomfort and constant throat clearing.
What medications do you take for LPR/general reflux and does it work for you?
I've read some threads that have made me a bit worried, that there is nothing that can help, and that i'm going to be stuck with the mucus for life. is this true?
Thanks so much

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
(female)

hoopoe HB User
Re: LPR: What works for you?

Right now, it's just taking the meds. I also get a kind of drymouth sometimes when I'm having an episode and I drink a lot of water. So far I haven't figured out any special technique to feel better.

I have a question: when you have breathing problems, what are they like? When I have them, I can't breathe through my nose but I can breathe through my mouth (like right now, heh). If I can get air through my nose, I can't seem to get enough through... almost like breathing through a tube.

Oh there is one thing! If I can't fall asleep in my bed, I go take my wedge pillow to the living room and try the couch. For some reason that helps although I have no idea why.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
(female)

chook439 HB User
LPR: What works for you?

Thanks for your answer
My breathing problems occur mostly at night. Like you, i can't breathe through my nose, and have to breathe through my mouth, but this only seems to occur when i'm lying down. I've tried using extra pillows but it doesn't help, and i just end up with a very sore neck! I'm not really sure why the reflux makes me unable to breathe through my nose...but it only started when i got LPR, so i assume the two are related.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

hoopoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook439 View Post
Thanks for your answer
My breathing problems occur mostly at night. Like you, i can't breathe through my nose, and have to breathe through my mouth, but this only seems to occur when i'm lying down. I've tried using extra pillows but it doesn't help, and i just end up with a very sore neck! I'm not really sure why the reflux makes me unable to breathe through my nose...but it only started when i got LPR, so i assume the two are related.
Get a wedge pillow - it will be more gentle on your neck than extra pillows and may help more because of the sloping. I got mine at a medical supply store for around $35, but if you don't mind spending the money I'd recommend something a little better (memory foam or something softer) that is a little bit more expensive, just because it's probably more comfortable than my foam wedge.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Chook439,

I have the same problem or had I guess. I have excessive mucus (caused by stomach acids coming up into the back of my throat) it gives me a nasty taste and a nasty smell (from all the bacteria) at the back of my throat. I am takin Protonix and zantac and so far it's helped alot. I don't feel like I am fighting for air and its greatly slowed the mucus coming up but the breath is still bad so I am unsure how to tackle that...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
(female)

chook439 HB User

Thanks hoopoe, I'll definitely be looking into getting one of those pillows, and hopeully get a more comfortable nights sleep for a change

legaleagle01 - Thanks for your answer! I'm looking forward to getting rid of the mucus, but what i'm mostly worried about is the bad taste/smell. Maybe it will go away with time. We can always hope i guess! I think i'll ask my doctor about the medications you mentioned, as i've heard others say that they work as well. Thanks for your help

Last edited by chook439; 08-27-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

painter207 HB User

Chook..I wanted to send you a PM but it doesn't seem to let me. Nothing comes up that says "send Chook a private message". So I'll ask you here. You said you know a few people that got rid of their symptoms with 2 Nexium. What did they have and how long did it take for them to get better. If you can you can PM me please. I'm getting so depressed about this I need to talk to an optomistic person. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I wake up with it coating my throat though and for some reason, my nose is filled w/ bloody mucus at night too. Very odd because I'm now sleeping inclined on pillows, not lying totally down, and this still happens. God forbid if I was laying down totally!

Anyway, lately, I've found that drinking ginger ale can actually help break up the junk in my throat. I find this odd, esp since its carbonated. But, its been helping. I don't stop gagging totally just thins it out for me. The nasty metalic tasting mucus sits in my throat all night and if I get up to urinate or move at all I begin coughing it up. It is sooo disgusting!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

PS: Wanted to add, I was on nexium 40mg twice per day for about 4 months. I did notice a minor difference when on it, when I'd miss a dose on accident though my throat would get irritated and burn and I'd have to clear my throat or cough a lot.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
(female)

painter207 HB User

Rush...are you still on Nexium 2 times a day? You said you 'were' on it. What do you take now? My throat is still somewhat irritated but I've only been on
Nexium twice a day for a week and a half.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hi Painter: Not any prescription drug for reflux now, as 24 weeks pregnant. I do take Tums and Pepcid as needed, which is nearly daily. Finding now that tums does not work as well as pepcid, I think your body gets a tolerance for these drugs and then you need more.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
(female)

Bentleys HB User

chook
How are you feeling with your lpr? I notice that you haven't posted in a while so I am wondering if you have it under control and how long it took for you to feel better?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
(female)

chook439 HB User

Hi Bentleys,
I wish I could tell you that I have it under control, but unfortunately I don't. Not yet anyway! I was on nexium for a while, but had to stop as I needed to go into hospital for a surgery unrelated to lpr. And I wasn't supossed to be on any medication as I needed general anaesthetic. When I was on the nexium I did notice a small improvement. But the post nasal drip, and constant mucus in my throat did not go away, and that's what really bothers me. So I'm about to start taking 2 40mg nexium everyday and see if that works. I'm also thinking I may try apple cider vinegar, as it does seem to really help some people. Also, if anyone else is having problems with mucus, I recommend Fess Nasal spray. It's just a salt solution, which really helps break up the mucus and makes you feel a lot better
I'll let you know how my next attempt with nexium goes!
Chook

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Chook
so sorry to hear about what ur going through! I have been on nexium foe 2weeks tomorrow and starting to see some improvement hopefully it will keep getting better!! Let me know how u are doing?! My biggest thing was the feeling of something being stuck in my throat and mucus in throat, but it seems to be improving some the last few days! and my throat would feel hot sometimes and ear pain too!! Start nexium it should help?? How long were u on it before u noticed some improvement ?? Take care

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
(female)

chook439 HB User

Thanks Bentleys, I'll definitely keep you posted as to how I'm doing I plan on starting nexium again asap so hopefully that will help! I'm also going to the doctor to get a blood test to check my hormone levels, as I've heard that can play a part in reflux, and I'm willing to try anything at this point! I think I was on nexium for about 2 weeks before I noticed some improvement. The feeling of the lump in my throat almost went away I think, and I was sleeping better. I also experience ear pain sometimes...my doctor doesn't seem to think it's related to lpr, but I think differently! Good luck with the nexium! I hope you feel better soon

Closed Thread