It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
(female)

chook439 HB User
Question Birth control pill and reflux.

just over a year ago i started taking the birth control pill to help my skin. At this time, i started to get symptoms of LPR (constant mucus etc). I'm yet to have this diagnosed. I have been off the pill for about 8 months, and the LPR like symptoms are only getting worse. I've read that the birth control pill can trigger acid reflux.
Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks so much

Last edited by chook439; 08-25-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: Birth control pill and reflux.

Hi Chook:

Just wanted to comment as I see no one has yet. The first time I ever heard that the Pill could trigger reflux was from my GI Dr. I think I have more of the LPR than the GERD (it doesn't stay in my throat long enough to be heart burn, it comes up immediately as nasty tasting "clear mucus" after I eat). My GI said that the hormones in the pill can relax the muscles, causing food to come back up. I also have a hiatal hernia which makes that even worse (way relaxed muscles). I am also now pregnant and I can tell you that without a doubt the pregnancy hormones really DO mimic the pill and my reflux has gotten way worse being pregnant (not just from when you get big and the baby pushes up into your tummy. I'm talking early in pregnancy too, from the hormones).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
(female)

chook439 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply.
I had read on the internet that the pill could trigger reflux, and it's great to have that confirmed. Although i'm guessing it doesn't happen often, due to the lack of replys. I'm going to back to the doctor soon so I might ask him if that could be the cause, though it's odd that after so long being off the pill, i sill have the symptoms.
Thanks again.
Good luck with everything

Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

FLGirl68 HB User

I had terrible, TERRIBLE reflux during my both of my pregnancies. I had it so bad, that I had acid come up thru my NOSE during the night. My Ob told me that high level of estrogen in your bloodstream during pregnancy (and i would assume higher levels of estrogen in your bloodstream while on the pill) actually relax the esophageal sphincter and that's what makes the reflux so much worse. I had already been diagnosed prior to my pregnancies with bad GERD and a mild to moderately large hiatal hernia. This was a while ago and certain b/c pills def'ly give me horrible nausea and reflux.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

FL Girl: Were you able to find a pill that didn't cause it as bad? ie, did you still use the pill as your birth control after the baby? I am afraid to! I've already tried 3 types and none really make me feel like myself!

I too think I get it in my nose because I'll get this burning clear fluid and gobs and gobs of it will come up especially at night...I even try sleeping sitting up propped up on pillows, not even laying down and I STILL get it!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

FLGirl68 HB User

Yaz gives me nausea *if* I don't take it with a large, heavy meal. But no heartburn. I take it now not because of b/c but to control heavy periods. It has helped with that and my hair has grown a lot! Another pill that didn't seem to aggravate my GERD was Aviane/Allesse but it really increased my appetite which needs no help on its own!

When I had reflux during my pregnancy, even thru the nose, it was like battery acid coming back up. It was miserable.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

ouchmyjawhurts HB User

Hey chook I accidently came across this thread and am relieved to see I'm not the only one! I've been on BC for about 5 months now, and I've never had acid reflux in my life before that. Now I get it constantly. I thought it was chest pains at first and was very worried but then noticed it only really happened after I ate a meal and got worse when I lay down so it must be acid reflux. It's a rubbish side effect!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
(female)

chook439 HB User

Yeah, it definitely is an awful side effect! I spoke with my doctor, and have now started on medication for acid reflux. So i'll see if that works i guess. I'm hoping that eventually my body will realise that i'm not on the pill anymore and my hormones will go back to normal and stop this annoying reflux!
I'm also worried, as i'd like to go back on the pill eventually but i'm scared it will make the symptoms worse. I've tried Yaz, as it's quite low dose, but that didn't seem to help. So if anyone finds a b/c pill that doesn't trigger reflux, let me know!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

kryan12 HB User

I am glad to see I am not the only one. I am on Nexium for GERD and Gastritis. I started Loestrin 24E and my reflux is worse and I have been getting more diarrhea....

Closed Thread