It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Weaning off Nexium or similar... Please read

I understand that this a not a drug that has to be weaned off, but it seems logical that any unnatural chemicals entered in your body should be weened off in some way somehow. So...

I'm currently doing 1 in the morning, and then waiting an hour before I eat breakfast. I will do this for the 8-12 weeks that I have seem mentioned so frequently throughout the web.

Would it be better to:

A.) Have 1 nexium a day, then becomes 4/week, then 2/week until I'm no longer using it?

OR

B.) As I begin to feel more confident with my old eating lifestyle, switch slowly from 40mg/day to 20mg/day (and even further down the road, do A but with these 20 mg pills)?

Also, C, would it be counter productive at this point (I've been taking for 1 month exactly) to begin taking it daily and only waiting 30 min. before I eat breakfast? Would this set me backwards, or is it okay because it'll show that I'm no longer needing to wait as long to get food in my system?

P.S.- I know that none of you are probably doctors, but most of you are probably have more experience taking these meds than me, so please try to formulate an opinion for your sake and mine. Thank You very much for reading.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: Weaning off Nexium or similar...Please read

I just stopped taking them, no weaning, I haven't had any problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Re: Weaning off Nexium or similar...Please read

Are you reflux-free now though?

I know that people don't "have" to ween off of them, but logically, I kind of have the feeling that everything should be weaned off of so as to avoid a shock to the system.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: Weaning off Nexium or similar... Please read

Yes I am reflux free. I had an endoscopy to see how things were looking. The gastritis was gone, my very small hiatal hernia hadn't worsened and my esophagus had returned to normal. The GI told me to stop taking the Nexium, I don't need it anymore. If you were wanting to wean yourself I'd try taking it every 2nd day for a while, if the symptoms don't return, then evry 3rd etc. That's what my GP not my GI suggested, but I just stopped.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Thank You very much for your answer. I was wondering whether I had a hiatal hernia or not. The doctor didn't see any in my endoscopy in January. But recently I have been having a weird feeling in my xiphoid process area, but I had a chest MRI last week where I had mentioned on the form to check for a hiatal hernia or something, but they didn't mention anything in the report.

A.) Do you notice the hiatal hernia when you eat or drink something?

B.)Also, have you been able to revert back to your pre-GERD diet?

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I'm sure if you had a hiatal hernia it would have been on the report. I use to notice it, this is going to sound gross, but sometimes when I bent over, what I had eaten earlier and was still in my stomach would just run out of my mouth. The hernia would have also been part of the reason I had gerd. I found by putting a brick under the legs of the head of the bed helped heaps. The only thing I found made it worse as far as diet goes was coffee, so that's the only thing I cut out and yes I'm drinking it again but I've only ever drank 1 cup a day. Let me know how you're getting on, cheers Viv.

Closed Thread