It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

karate_mom HB User
Is this Acid Reflux? Please reply! Thanks

Hi all, I came here often last year for a burning in throat. ppi's helped me with that, and I stopped taking them around September 08'. Fine, but just a little gassy since then, waiting for tummy to get back to normal. Fast forward to last week, (monday). Sitting at a back to school night, got bad trapped gas, (or heartburn). It would come and go, but also had IBS type symptoms, gas, and also, constipation. Well, dr. gave me Lactulose, for the constipation, which helped, but I still feel gassy, and right after I eat, I get a "gas-like" feeling coming up from my stomach. It's right in the center of my abdomen, above the belly. I started taking pepsid, which seemed to help a little. I can DRINK anything, and it doesn't hurt. I drink decaf latte's twice a day, and no problem, but when I eat anything I get that upset gassy feeling again. Not reflux, but a gassy feeling coming upward, like trapped, and I can't really burp. Do you think it is an ulcer, reflux....or what? I also have one of those hiatel hernias. Its a little ball, right above belly button, and it pops up when I lay down. I heard its from straining. I am worried every time I get that gassy feeling, because I don't want to have to be on meds again. Plus, I always think the worst! Maybe its a bacterial infection ??? Please, any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes, I am stressed alot!

Thanks again!

karate mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
(female)

tammykinz HB User
Re: Is this Acid Reflux? Please reply! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate_mom View Post
Hi all, I came here often last year for a burning in throat. ppi's helped me with that, and I stopped taking them around September 08'. Fine, but just a little gassy since then, waiting for tummy to get back to normal. Fast forward to last week, (monday). Sitting at a back to school night, got bad trapped gas, (or heartburn). It would come and go, but also had IBS type symptoms, gas, and also, constipation. Well, dr. gave me Lactulose, for the constipation, which helped, but I still feel gassy, and right after I eat, I get a "gas-like" feeling coming up from my stomach. It's right in the center of my abdomen, above the belly. I started taking pepsid, which seemed to help a little. I can DRINK anything, and it doesn't hurt. I drink decaf latte's twice a day, and no problem, but when I eat anything I get that upset gassy feeling again. Not reflux, but a gassy feeling coming upward, like trapped, and I can't really burp. Do you think it is an ulcer, reflux....or what? I also have one of those hiatel hernias. Its a little ball, right above belly button, and it pops up when I lay down. I heard its from straining. I am worried every time I get that gassy feeling, because I don't want to have to be on meds again. Plus, I always think the worst! Maybe its a bacterial infection ??? Please, any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes, I am stressed alot!

Thanks again!

karate mom

I don't have answers but only thoughts. I think I kind of understand that feeling. I feel like my stomache is full and won't empty. I am wondering if it is complications from the hernia, perhaps your stomach isn't easily emptying into the duodenum because of the hernia which gives you a really full bloated feeling. I have been feeling that way and my doctor told me he thinks I have an ulcer and put me on nexium, sulcrate which is a liquid I drink 5 mls of 4 times a day which is supposed to coat the ulcer and then buscopan for spasms. I don't know I am falling apart. I feel scared too because I haven't had all the proper testing like scopes and stuff. I think I have a hernia too but haven't been diagnosed with it. anyways sorry I don't have any answers but hopefully you can go see your doctor soon to further investigate.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

karate_mom HB User
Re: Is this Acid Reflux? Please reply! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammykinz View Post
I don't have answers but only thoughts. I think I kind of understand that feeling. I feel like my stomache is full and won't empty. I am wondering if it is complications from the hernia, perhaps your stomach isn't easily emptying into the duodenum because of the hernia which gives you a really full bloated feeling. I have been feeling that way and my doctor told me he thinks I have an ulcer and put me on nexium, sulcrate which is a liquid I drink 5 mls of 4 times a day which is supposed to coat the ulcer and then buscopan for spasms. I don't know I am falling apart. I feel scared too because I haven't had all the proper testing like scopes and stuff. I think I have a hernia too but haven't been diagnosed with it. anyways sorry I don't have any answers but hopefully you can go see your doctor soon to further investigate.
Hi Tammy,

I feel the same, a little worried because I haven't had the scope. I did go to ER one night because I panicked because food felt like it got stuck, so I figured if I went to ER they would do testing. Well, I was a little relieved, they did a CAT Scan, with the dye in the veins, and it was clear. It covers your whole chest. (Esophagus, etc) So the dr. told me then, and my MD told me the next day, that shows every little mm of that area, and you don't have cancer! I was embarrassed, but also felt better. I was honest and told him that was a big fear, so he put that fear to rest. That was just in June. He said no reason to do the scope since that c-scan was clear. I think maybe it's just bacterial infection, or nerves. I wish I could just figure out what it is. Today I am just SO gassy, it does feel really trapped.

Thanks for listening, If its here at the end of the week, I will ask to see a gastro..

take care!

Closed Thread