It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
I am so fed up...

I really can't take this anymore. I am married with 2 young children, I have a good career as a nurse, I am studying in school as well to further my nursing studies. I can't take feeling sick all the time. It sucks the energy right out of me, I am tired all the time and I am not taking care of myself like I should. I am so frustrated. I have IBS which causing me lots of stress and anxiety. i am at the point where I don't even want to leave my house for too long. I let me groceries run dry to the point where we have toast for dinner sometimes because I am afraid of having pain and sickness when I go shopping. I dread going to work, I cry all the time. I recently have been getting this heartburn daily after a bout of bad ear infection where I was taking probably too much advil. Now I am on Nexium and no more heartburn but I have alot of abdominal bloating. I am lactose intolerant I figure because I quit milk a few weeks ago and noticed an improvment in my diarrheal symptoms. Feeling good about that...but then BAM the nexium is starting to upset my bowels again and I am having urgency and diarrhea. I am so friggen fed up. the doctor just put me on meds based on my symptoms. I am going back on thursday and I think I am going to demand scopes to be done. I can't live like this any more. i am so upset. My marriage is being ruined my life is being ruined.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: I am so fed up...

Hi there,

It really stinks when you feel sick all the time. I can't relate to all of your symptoms, though I've battled IBS issues and I feel mine got worse being on the Pill (now I'm pregnant which opens up a new set of issues). It also is very frustrating when medicines cause other side effects that aren't so good. It seems to me that EVERY med has a side effect, some tolerable, others devastating! I hate how quickly dr's give you meds to shut you up, but then again what else are they suppossed to do? I was also on Nexium for a year and only noticed improvement when taking it twice per day. I was disapointed whem the GI dr told me I was probably born with my hiatal hernia (they saw after I had my endoscopy done) and the only thing I could do to manage my symptoms if I ever wanted to get off of the pills which HE put me on but tells me he wants me off of because I'm "too young" (I'm under 30) is to loose weight. If I was born with a messed up stomach how is loosing weight going to help me??

Well, now that i'm pregnant the reflux is HORRIBLE, but that is common in pregnancy. Ah, the joys!

I constantly have this mucus like coating on my throat and its a pain in the bahooney. I can drink water and still have this, modifying my diet does me no good, I tried a food journal and while some triggers do exist, I can eat veggies and water and gag is up, its that bad. And I gag to the point of throwing up, too- this got really bad once my Ob Gyn took me off of the twice per day nexium cold turkey.

What other reflux meds have you tried? And what types of Drs have you seen? Other than my ob gyn I've seen 1 GI whom I'm not impressed with, two allergists and an ENT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

karate_mom HB User
Thumbs down Re: I am so fed up...

Tammy,

How long have you had your symptoms? I have suffered with IBS in the past. Probably for about 10 years off and on. Now it's back I think. I started getting heartburn last year, prob from hiatel hernia. I think that is what I have. It's a little bump that pops up above the belly button. Now my symptoms are heartburn again, but with severe gas and bloating. I tried prilosec, but it's really hurts my stomach and cause more heartburn and gas, and constipation. Right now, I am taking just 2 pepsid a day, with Lactulose, which is a type of stool softener, and it takes away the heartburn, but omg does it cause more gas and bloating. It is hard to figure out the right answer, my dr. has diagnosed me with dyspepsia, heartburn, gerd, hiatel hernia, and tried tons of meds. I am also at my wits end. I think I also have globus, (the throat tightening) It all stems from nerves, stress....I have 5 kids, and 2 are step, and it is hard to juggle all this, and also own a business. I think it would be better if I just had a 9-5 job, and let cleaning ladies come to my house. Then I wouldn't get to see the kids as much and that would be horrible. Anyway, maybe they will see something with a scope. I had a cat scan done, and it was clear. I think I may have a bit of an ulcer, if you ask me. But who knows. I just keep praying!

Good luck, try to stay sane. I know how you feel! I love the mornings because it's starts off ok, so far, because I haven't eaten yet. Just lattes in the morning. I do decaf, but I don't think it's good for my stomach. I can't give up everything though.

Closed Thread