It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

Nance81 HB User
Manometry & Bravo tests/ Nervous!!!

Hi I've been searching for anyone whose had the manometry test. I am extremely nervous about it. If they could knock me out I'd be OK, but I know they can't for this test. The Dr briefly explained the test & I've looked it up and read up on it, but I'd be interested to hear someones story that actually had one. Can they damage your voice box or tear you throat?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Manometry & Bravo tests/ Nervous!!!

I've had a Manometry and 24 hr pH done twice. Most recently last year. If you look at some of my past early posts, you should find a description in detail of the process while it was fresh in my mind.

Basically, while the Manometry isn't pleasant, it really isn't that bad either. I'm sure there is always a chance of damage occuring as with any procedure, but I haven't heard of it happening.

The technician should numb your nose and possibly your throat first. The nose would be done with a swab and if they do your throat that would probably be with a spray. They will give you a cup of water with a straw. As they put the tube up your nose and guide it down your throat, they will have you take swallows of water to ease it down. Some people have a bit of trouble with the gag reflux. If you do, just try to focus on the swallowing process. Think of it like you would swallowing a large pill or piece of food and swallow a few times to help it go down. It just lasts a moment and then things will be in place. Once it is in place, the technician will move the tube up and down in small increments taking readings. They will tell you when to swallow throughout that time. When they are done with the readings, they will just pull the tube out. The whole process will take less than 10 minutes. The longest part of the process is just waiting the couple minutes for the numbing to take effect.

I had the 24 hr pH done where they have the tube down your esophagus and you are hooked to a computer. From what I've read, the Bravo is a much easier test. Good luck.

Last edited by MountainReader; 09-11-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
Nance81 (06-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Nance81 (06-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

MountainReader has given a good description. The only thing I would add is that the tube for the mamonetry is thicker than the tube that is used for a 24 hr pH test. The thickness makes the test more uncomfortable. But the entire test only lasts about 10 or so minutes so try to focus on that. I have to admit I was pretty happy when they pulled the whole thing out and said I was done! I haven't had the Bravo but have had two regular 24 hr pH tests. I hear the Bravo is much easier.
Kassie

Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

angel011089 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance81 View Post
Hi I've been searching for anyone whose had the manometry test. I am extremely nervous about it. If they could knock me out I'd be OK, but I know they can't for this test. The Dr briefly explained the test & I've looked it up and read up on it, but I'd be interested to hear someones story that actually had one. Can they damage your voice box or tear you throat?
not sure is thhis the test were they check the acid amount in your stomach and thoart if so iv had one they run a sm. tube down your nose and check pressures that way let me know ill help if i can ive had so many test ran good luck hope you feel better soon

Old 09-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. Has helped ease my fears. I get so spooked dealing with the uknown. Hopefully by Monday I won't have such a raw throat! I woke up at 5 am with acid or bile choking me (as usual) Only this morning it was unusally horrific. My throat is so sore it feels like it's bleeding & absolutely NOTHING is helping. I pray that these upcoming tests will help me find out what is really going on. I've tried just about every PPI with little and shortlived response to them. I just want my life back & to be out of this constant pain. Anyone have anything they've found helpful for terrible sore throat from acid/bile burn?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Diet and lifestyle changes in combination with twice/day PPI's and Gaviscon helped me keep my bad reflux under control for years. Unfortunately my bad reflux became severe reflux. It made my quality of life was impaired and my reflux literally became life threatening because it affected my breathing. At that point I ended up having a Nissen Fundoplication. Surgery was a drastic solution, but it was the right one for me.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

painter207 HB User

I've had the sore throat for four month and now that I'm on 2 PPI's a day it's finally disapating. I'm not on the diet anymore . I sometimes have alcohol but no wine , caffein, and I can't help eating tomatoes....they are so good right now out of the garden.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter207 View Post
I've had the sore throat for four month and now that I'm on 2 PPI's a day it's finally disapating. I'm not on the diet anymore . I sometimes have alcohol but no wine , caffein, and I can't help eating tomatoes....they are so good right now out of the garden.
Hi, Did you mean you took 2 per day for 4 months before your throat felt better? How long have you been on double dose? Know what you mean about the tomatoes right now, but I had 2 thin slices on a sandwich last night which is the 1st tomatoe I've eaten in well over a year. I eat a very bland diet, drink only water have lowfat milk on my cereal. I guess I'm payong a stiff price for my "tomatoe fix!"

Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

I'm not sure why, but I had some improvement when I cut back on dairy. For me it is water and soy/almond/coconut milk.

Definitely cut back on all citrus and acidic foods, alcohol, carbonation, caffeine, fatty foods, fried foods, high fat foods.

When I first started seeing an increase in my reflux symptoms, it took me several weeks on PPI's to see a difference. My taking them was never a short-term solution. I knew from the start that I was in it for the long run. I've been on the twice per day routine for about 7 years now. It isn't just about healing, it is also about prevention. If your LES isn't working properly than you will always get the reflux.

Do you sleep on an incline? If you haven't tried that, try raising your headboard about 6 inches. Let gravity help. Also sleeping on your left side should help a bit too.

I know what you mean about the tomatoes. I've been craving some fresh summer ones myself. I know as the consequences of eating "bad" foods. Sometimes I just make that choice though. Depends on how bad my reflux is at the time.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
(female)

painter207 HB User

Nance...I started with one Nexium on May 27th of this year. I took it for 3 month, and then my ENT upped the dosage to 2 per day. I have been on 2 X Nexium almost 3 and a half weeks. Now I'm seeing the healing in my throat. It really does take 2 PPI's. I don't understand why he let me go so long on one. All they ever said to me was it takesa TIME and it's not going away over night because it took much longer than that to appear. (You could of fooled me). How long have you had the throat problem? Is it ever completely gone?
Mine was always irritated and tickled to make me cough.
The muccus stuff pretty much went away after two weeks on Nexium. I never had heartburn either so the whole thing is like out of a horror story to me........Keep in touch.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Hi Painter.. I hear ya about the horror story! I've been dealing with this since 2/08. I started out with major heartburn, no throat problems. The throat thing just started the end of June. Now I rarely have heartbrn; it's all in my throat. I've had problems all along with keeping this under control. Have tried prevacid, nexium, omeprozole, all twice daily. They all seemed to help at first then just quit working. Since March I've been on Aciphex and about mid June I knew it wasn't being very effective anymore. Dr gave me samples of Kapidex and I broke out in hives. They ALL have side effects. The Aciphex gives me the least. Back to the gastro......he says I might be reluxing bile instead of acid or maybe both. That might be why I'm so unresponsive to the PPI's. Hence the upcoming tests. Manometry tomorrow, Bravo the 23rd. My sore throat is greatly improved since yesterday, but not gone. It's never really gone anymore. I do think my "2 slice tomato binge" is what got me in such a bad way yesterday. I really don't indulge in any "bad" things often. That was probably the worst flare up I've had and it wasn't worth it. I would LOVE to have coffee but learned my lesson on that. I can't even get away with a SIP!!

I hope the 2 per day shows continued and lasting relief for you. A guy I work with has had excellent response with 1- 40mg daily Nexium for years. He's always eating pizza and tomatoes, mexican etc. altho he's not a coffee/alcohol drinker. I had a gastric empyting study done in April which was normal so I'm guessing my LES is shot. I sleep on a wedge and last week my husband elevated the bed from 4 in to 6 in. Don't know yet if the extra 2 in is gonna help. If it doesn't soon I'll have him drop it back to 4 b/c I woke up this morning & it felt like all the blood had run to my feet! LOL!! Well, I'll be glad when tomorrow is behind me!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
(female)

angel011089 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance81 View Post
Hi Painter.. I hear ya about the horror story! I've been dealing with this since 2/08. I started out with major heartburn, no throat problems. The throat thing just started the end of June. Now I rarely have heartbrn; it's all in my throat. I've had problems all along with keeping this under control. Have tried prevacid, nexium, omeprozole, all twice daily. They all seemed to help at first then just quit working. Since March I've been on Aciphex and about mid June I knew it wasn't being very effective anymore. Dr gave me samples of Kapidex and I broke out in hives. They ALL have side effects. The Aciphex gives me the least. Back to the gastro......he says I might be reluxing bile instead of acid or maybe both. That might be why I'm so unresponsive to the PPI's. Hence the upcoming tests. Manometry tomorrow, Bravo the 23rd. My sore throat is greatly improved since yesterday, but not gone. It's never really gone anymore. I do think my "2 slice tomato binge" is what got me in such a bad way yesterday. I really don't indulge in any "bad" things often. That was probably the worst flare up I've had and it wasn't worth it. I would LOVE to have coffee but learned my lesson on that. I can't even get away with a SIP!!

I hope the 2 per day shows continued and lasting relief for you. A guy I work with has had excellent response with 1- 40mg daily Nexium for years. He's always eating pizza and tomatoes, mexican etc. altho he's not a coffee/alcohol drinker. I had a gastric empyting study done in April which was normal so I'm guessing my LES is shot. I sleep on a wedge and last week my husband elevated the bed from 4 in to 6 in. Don't know yet if the extra 2 in is gonna help. If it doesn't soon I'll have him drop it back to 4 b/c I woke up this morning & it felt like all the blood had run to my feet! LOL!! Well, I'll be glad when tomorrow is behind me!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
(female)

painter207 HB User

Hi Nance, how did the test go today? Boy, I feel bad that you have this so very bad. Today was the first time in 4 month that I had spagetti with red sauce. I put in fresh tomatoe cubes. This morning I had one cup of coffee. This afternoon I had chocolate. It was like I lost my mind. Did you ever feel like you just had to do everything that you shouldn"t ?I'm sick of this diet and I'll probably pay for it tommorow. I never get heartburn though. But my throat will beworse again I'm sure.Did you take 2X PPI's at least 4 month?
It seems between 2 and 4 month it seems to work for most people.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
(female)

Nance81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter207 View Post
Hi Nance, how did the test go today? Boy, I feel bad that you have this so very bad. Today was the first time in 4 month that I had spagetti with red sauce. I put in fresh tomatoe cubes. This morning I had one cup of coffee. This afternoon I had chocolate. It was like I lost my mind. Did you ever feel like you just had to do everything that you shouldn"t ?I'm sick of this diet and I'll probably pay for it tommorow. I never get heartburn though. But my throat will beworse again I'm sure.Did you take 2X PPI's at least 4 month?
It seems between 2 and 4 month it seems to work for most people.
Hi Painter,The test went OK. It took her 3 tries to get the tube down & after the 2nd I told her I didn't know if I could go thru with it, but then I kinda regrouped & it went down on the 3rd try. It didn't really HURT it was just so strange! The woman who ran the test was super. She explained everything really clearly and was just...I guess you'd say a comforting person. Glad it is over tho. I get the Bravo test next Wed. At least I get put under for that I won't get any results back til follow up visit on the 30th.

Oh I'm so sick of this diet too! The times when I DO have some good days I think I'll be able to eat or drink something NORMAL. I hope you didn't have to suffer for treating yourself yesterday! I did take 2X PPI's for over 4 months when I was on the omeprozole but they quit working. That's when I went on the Aciphex. That was OK 1X daily til June when I had surgery for an inguinal hernia. 2 days after that surgery I woke my husband up at 3am to take me to the ER. I was choking on acid in my throat. That is when this dang throat thing started the worst. They don't relate any of it to the surgery but it sure is coincidental. They did a CAT scan, an ultra sound, EKG, blood work probably some more stuff, I'd have to get out the paperwork, but didn't find anything to explain the onset of this "new" symptom. At this point I have NOT doubled up the aciphex partly because my insurance will only pay for 30 pills per month & on days when I have doubled them I felt worse. I have supplamented with rolaids, exta strenght pepcid, or gaviscon. Right now I feel like I'm in a holding pattern waiting to find out if this is acid, bile or both. The gastro said if it is bile reflux the PPI's won't touch it. Maybe that is why A.) They don't work B.) They make me feel sick. I will be glad to see what is found from all these new tests. Sorry this is so long. I'm really gratefull to have this place to talk to others who "get it." Altho I would not wish this on my worst enemy!! I hope you are not suffering today!!

Closed Thread