It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
(female)

HereToday HB User
Opening up capsules?

Hi.

I was prescribed Omeprazole 20 yesterday. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell the dr that I can't for the life of me swallow pills or capsules. Never been able to without choking. I asked the pharmacist if it's OK to open this stuff. He nodded yes. Then I read the pamphlet and it says "the capsules must be kept intact and swallowed whole" Somewhere else on there it also says not to chew the stuff. So, what to do? It's Saturday. I won't be able to speak to the dr until Monday. I know this stuff is also available in liquid form.

I've been on inhibitor meds before. Controloc, I think it was called. That I was also told to chew. Tried to chew as little as possible before swalowing. However, this Omez is in capsule form and will therefore be nothing but powder in my stomach.

Anyone have experience with this?

CC

Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: Opening up capsules?

It depends on the type of capsule.

Omeprazole needs to be protected from the stomach acid (enteric coated).

Some of the capsules are them selves the enteric coating...... you shouldnt open these, in others, the capsule is just a normal gelatin capsule, and inside there are enteric coated beads, or even an enteric coated tablet.... you can open these.

I would go back to the pharmacist, with the pills and the pamphlet, and ask him to check wether you can safely open them up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
(female)

HereToday HB User
Re: Opening up capsules?

Jon, thanks for the reply. I haven't opened them. Will definately ask the doctor about a liquid form tomorrow and get an exchange from the pharmacy. I guess I had better tell the dr to make a note of my inability to swallow caps and tabs. Else I'll keep forgetting to tell him!

Closed Thread