It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User
Acid Reflux Question

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago, I ate a lot of food late in the evening and made the mistake of going to sleep soon after....The next morning, I had heartburn and a burning feeling in my stomach. To make things worse I took some Ibuprofen and had spicy food and soda ... in retrospect it probably wasnt a great idea, but i didnt know any better...

Anywayz...to make things worse, I was going thru a lot of stress and anxiety, and whenever I would get the stress, I felt like someone was releasing warm water in my stomach..

So I decided to take some Tums and Pepto Bismol...and netiher were doing much... my doctor recommended Prilosec...but i heard there were side effects and decided against it.... I asked a pharmacist and he recommended Maalox and Gaviscon?...

Those have been great and I generally feel that I'm at about 95%... but occasionally ... after lunch... when I am sitting upright, not laying down..but sitting in a chair...i feel a slight warm feeling.... not as bad as before but still something....

my question is, is this the last stage of healing... or does it sound like I have a bad valve there.... I'm not feeling bad when I wake up in the morning...

and this feeling when upright, is only occasional....

btw, is a little reflux normal for everyone? I almost never have that feeling in the upper quadrant of the chest...it feels really low in my stomach...

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Question

Never felt what your talking about warm water?
But eating a great deal of food late ay night and spicy at that is asking for trouble If your in the healing process your opening the wounds back up.
Hope you feel better

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12 View Post
Never felt what your talking about warm water?
But eating a great deal of food late ay night and spicy at that is asking for trouble If your in the healing process your opening the wounds back up.
Hope you feel better

So that feeling is not typical of acid reflux? The question I have is, do acid reflux sufferers experience acid reflux when sitting in an upright position, like on a chair?

Yes, the Maalox and Gaviscon work very well...I'm not completely well, but it helped alot...I feel like im at 95%...but I keep focusing on it...

The feeling i experienced is that something very warm was in my stomach, like very warm water, I suppose thats my explaination of a burning feeling...

i suppose you may be right, im trying to be careful ...the healing process seems to be slower than say a scab wound on the arm....

thanks.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
(female)

tammykinz HB User

Yes I get reflux when in an upright position. It is worse for me though lying down or chainging positions in bed. I could be fine laying in bed on my side or whatever then change to the other side and get reflux. But it is possible and I know from my experience to get acid reflux in an upright position. that warm feeling you sense could be gastritis (inflammation in stomach lining) or could be ulcers.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User

could it really be ulcers after one experience? maybe it is since its slow healing..

Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

katarina66 HB User

I get acid reflux when sitting upright. My feeling is like boiling water in my stomach and right up to my neck on occasions. Gaviscon or over the counter meds don't touch it. It's really bad today. I find yoghurt cools it very well, but stick to the low fat stuff. It gets much worse with me towards night. I have raised the top of my bed, and eat all the right things, but nothing seems to help.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarina66 View Post
I get acid reflux when sitting upright. My feeling is like boiling water in my stomach and right up to my neck on occasions. Gaviscon or over the counter meds don't touch it. It's really bad today. I find yoghurt cools it very well, but stick to the low fat stuff. It gets much worse with me towards night. I have raised the top of my bed, and eat all the right things, but nothing seems to help.
That is interesting because I do not get reflux up into my upper throat or up to my neck, it is confined down below...

Gaviscon works great for me... instantly... i guess its just slow healing... cold water in the morning really irritates me for some reason. Have you tried Prilosec?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
(female)

katarina66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli01 View Post
That is interesting because I do not get reflux up into my upper throat or up to my neck, it is confined down below...

Gaviscon works great for me... instantly... i guess its just slow healing... cold water in the morning really irritates me for some reason. Have you tried Prilosec?
I had omoprazole (prilosec) first and it worked for about 2 months then it did not touch it. then I was put on limoprazole which worked like magic for about three weeks then didn't work at all. now I'm on zantac 150 twice a day, which isn't working very well. I find the gavascon tablets work for a wee while, but not the liquid. Going on holiday today. at the weekend i was so bad I was going to cancel, but today its not so bad. Living on porridge (which sooths it brilliantly) Rice, yoghurts and chicken. And its either sitting here depressed waiting for further tests, or sitting in the sun depressed, waiting for further tests. No contest really.

Closed Thread