It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

Nance81 HB User
Mis-Diagnoised W/Acid Reflux!!

Hi. I posted earilier about two tests I had recently. The manometry & the Bravo. Well, I went for my follow-up yesterday to find out the results of these tests and all were normal. I don't have acid reflux (which I am very happy about) But What is wrong with me??? I have been on 5 different PPI's over the last 1 1/2 years, none helped me at all, I just kept feeling worse! Well DUH! Now I know why!! I certainly don't think PPI's when not needed can be GOOD for anyone. The doctors just kept changing my meds and /or having me double them. I've lost almost 15 # (am now 91#). I feel horrible and look like a bag of bones. Now he says "hypersensitive eosphagus. When I asked what that was, I didn't get a clear answer. Just somethng about my muscles not being able to relax enough. Then he asked me if I felt I had alot of stress. I told him yes. I have been severely stressed for the last couple of years. He gave me a RX & when I asked what it was he said it would help to relax the muscles. He didn't tell me it was an ANTI-DEPRESSANT. Elavil (generic amitriptyline 25 mg)

Here is my problem. I refuse to take any anti-depressant for any reason, so I will have to call or see him again. But has any one ever heard of this "hyper sensitive eosphagus?" I tried a search at ***** and got no results. Is it just something Drs came up with when they DON'T KNOW? If they don't know I wish they would say "I don't know." Also he told me to stop my Aciphex which is more then fine with me, but shouldn't a person wean off this after this long? I'm on my 2nd full day without and I feel awful. I felt awful on it but I feel a different "awful" right now. Even if I planned on taking the new medicine, he told me not to start it until the night before I have a day off as it causes such grogginess upon awakening (supposedly until you adjust to it )

Any info or experience with any of this?? Maybe I am depressed but I no longer trust the Dr and think they are far to quick to shove a scrip at you and get you out the door! I would prefer to find some alternitive option to an anti-depressant.

Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

Last edited by Nance81; 10-01-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Mis-Diagnoised W/Acid Reflux!!

I tried to do some internet searching to help you out. I didn't have much luck either. I did find that your hypersensitive esophagus is sometimes called "functional heartburn". People with this often test negative for reflux. Most of the internet hits I got were for research articles you have to pay for. I did find one reference to treatments that mentioned either using increased dosages of PPI's or trying modulated pain relievers.

Do you have a university hospital nearby that does research? You could try a second opinion there.

Wish I could be of more help.

Take care,
MountainReader

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
Nance81 (10-23-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Nance81 (10-23-2010)
Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

You mentioned that you feel awfull, what are your symptoms? Do you burp, suffer from any symptoms of LPR such as excess phlegm in the throat? has endoscopy ever shown any gastritis?
The reason I ask these questions is because my problems started just over 2 years ago, stomach burning, burping, excess phlegm, and gastritis, but they couldn't find why because my manometry and 24hr PH were fine.
And they told me I have sensitive Oesophagus!!! I didn't buy this, it was finally the ENT who said I have LPR and then 3 PH studies later it was confirmed that I have Acid reflux.
Funny enough the first 2 GIs that I saw couldn't find a hernia, but the 3rd one did!!!!
I am on 2 PPIs a day and still suffering, I have to say I have had stressfull 2 years, and don't think it will get better anytime soon for me but don't accept that stress is the only cause.
Try to get a second opinion. It is good that your test results are all normal.
Good luck hope you get the answer you are looking for

Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

katarina66 HB User

When I did an internet search for myself, I found out that anything that relaxes the muscles , also relaxes the muscles at the top of the stomach which allows more acid to escape thus making the problem worse. Doc thinks that is what I've got although I'm waiting for tests, mostly because I have had a really stressful time over the last four years. Used to have bad tinnitus (still have a bit) and dizzy spells which have eased of, only to be replaced by severe acid reflux, so he could be right. what he didn't tell me was how I could get rid of it.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

spookiewon HB User

He didn't prescribe it for depression, one of the big side effects of all tricyclics is muscle relaxation. In fact, the most used muscle relaxant is a tricyclic closely related to amitriptyline. You probably know it. Cyclobenzeprine, brand name--Flexeril? Amitriptyline has the added benefit that it is very good at relieving pain. It's more common to see amitriptyline prescribed these days for chronic pain--and your pain is chronic--than for depression. Depression is usually treated with the much newer SSRIs and SNRIs. Because it's out of patent, it isn't cost effective for a company to get anything new put "on label" for amitriptyline, like it was for an SNRI and an anticonvulsant (Cymbalta and Lyrica), so it's simply prescribed "off label."

You clearly don't communicate with your doctor. Please find one that you trust, then follow his/her recommendations. And PLEASE try the amitriptyline. The doctor wasn't implying you are depressed when he prescribed it, and if you'd called him and asked him he could have clarified that.

BTW, I can be certain of all this because 25 mg is far too little to affect depression. If he was prescribing for depression he would have given you 25 mg 3 times a day for a couple of days, then up to 50. The depression dosage is 40-150 mg/day in three or four doses. 25 mg at bedtime is good for sleep, pain, and muscle relaxation, but not depression.

Last edited by spookiewon; 10-10-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
(female)

Patthedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookiewon View Post
He didn't prescribe it for depression, one of the big side effects of all tricyclics is muscle relaxation. In fact, the most used muscle relaxant is a tricyclic closely related to amitriptyline. You probably know it. Cyclobenzeprine, brand name--Flexeril? Amitriptyline has the added benefit that it is very good at relieving pain. It's more common to see amitriptyline prescribed these days for chronic pain--and your pain is chronic--than for depression. Depression is usually treated with the much newer SSRIs and SNRIs. Because it's out of patent, it isn't cost effective for a company to get anything new put "on label" for amitriptyline, like it was for an SNRI and an anticonvulsant (Cymbalta and Lyrica), so it's simply prescribed "off label."

You clearly don't communicate with your doctor. Please find one that you trust, then follow his/her recommendations. And PLEASE try the amitriptyline. The doctor wasn't implying you are depressed when he prescribed it, and if you'd called him and asked him he could have clarified that.

BTW, I can be certain of all this because 25 mg is far too little to affect depression. If he was prescribing for depression he would have given you 25 mg 3 times a day for a couple of days, then up to 50. The depression dosage is 40-150 mg/day in three or four doses. 25 mg at bedtime is good for sleep, pain, and muscle relaxation, but not depression.
what an awesome reply! ITA

Closed Thread