It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
(male)

Modularman2009 HB User
Dr. says Gerd, I wonder with no tests

He says its most likely Gerd, or ulcer, or hernia, and I should take Omeprazole and see what happens. I have fullness under the rib cage, loud gurgling in my stomach, and when I get up and walk around I burb a lot. I took this omeprazole for a month, I did feel a lot better and he said dont take it now and lets see what happens. I went back to my bad eating habits and wham it came back. Im on it again. No heartburn or chest pain. I have fullness and almost a pulling sensation in my throat and upper abdomen. The thing that really really puzzles me and he just blows it off, is that this started my jabbing quick pains in my upper abdomen. These were quick and lasted seconds and hurt. then my upper abdomen was sore for a while and went away. Most of these quick zaps of pain were upon movement like getting up from bed, getting up from a sitting position, twisting my torso, etc. Never while in bed. Somehow I feel they are pvc's that Im feeling in my upper abdomen. They come from nowhere and I can be without them for days and then bang they hit me quick and go away. What is this "thing" that is tormenting me. Gallbladder attacks? pvc's, spasms of esophagus or some other organ or muscle. Please if anyone has this or knows what it might be, let me know. my Dr. has known me for 30 years (I am 63) and just makes quick guesses all the time. Thanks so much for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User
Re: Dr. says Gerd, I wonder with no tests

Well it sounds like he is starting in order of least to worst case. GERD is easy to diagnose. If your medications dont help, I will bet your doctors next plan will be to check for an ulcer by endoscopy. If that comes back negative then he may send you for a CT Scan to detect a hernia IF he does not feel it himself. Hernias are usually diagnosed by physical inspection alone. But sometimes they need to be diagnosed through CT Scan.
I just went to my gastroenterologist on Thursday. I have very bad GERD. I am 40 years old. He put me on 40 mg. of prescription Prilosec two times a day before meals (80 mgs. daily). Also he told me that it is VERY IMPORTANT to raise the front of my bed by 7 inches. He told me to buy 3 cinder blocks and put them under the front of my bed. This keeps the contents of your stomach from entering your esophagus causing GERD and erosive esophagitis as well as possibly esophagus cancer from years of GERD that was ignored. My Gastro Doctor graduated from Yale almost 40 years ago. He was also a medical professor at Yale. He also won America`s Top Doctors Awards over the last 7 or 8 years. I have full trust and faith in him. He did not seem too concerned about my left sided chest pain (which is why I went to him). He is sending me for a blood test to check for Celiac Disease. Out of everything he told me, I swear to you he said the most important thing you MUST do is RAISE THE HEAD OF YOUR BED 7 INCHES. It has been 3 days since I saw him and I still did not buy the cinder blocks. I am such an idiot. I am getting them tomorrow for sure!!!
Good Luck, Joe.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
(male)

Modularman2009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpin8 View Post
Well it sounds like he is starting in order of least to worst case. GERD is easy to diagnose. If your medications dont help, I will bet your doctors next plan will be to check for an ulcer by endoscopy. If that comes back negative then he may send you for a CT Scan to detect a hernia IF he does not feel it himself. Hernias are usually diagnosed by physical inspection alone. But sometimes they need to be diagnosed through CT Scan.
I just went to my gastroenterologist on Thursday. I have very bad GERD. I am 40 years old. He put me on 40 mg. of prescription Prilosec two times a day before meals (80 mgs. daily). Also he told me that it is VERY IMPORTANT to raise the front of my bed by 7 inches. He told me to buy 3 cinder blocks and put them under the front of my bed. This keeps the contents of your stomach from entering your esophagus causing GERD and erosive esophagitis as well as possibly esophagus cancer from years of GERD that was ignored. My Gastro Doctor graduated from Yale almost 40 years ago. He was also a medical professor at Yale. He also won America`s Top Doctors Awards over the last 7 or 8 years. I have full trust and faith in him. He did not seem too concerned about my left sided chest pain (which is why I went to him). He is sending me for a blood test to check for Celiac Disease. Out of everything he told me, I swear to you he said the most important thing you MUST do is RAISE THE HEAD OF YOUR BED 7 INCHES. It has been 3 days since I saw him and I still did not buy the cinder blocks. I am such an idiot. I am getting them tomorrow for sure!!!
Good Luck, Joe.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
(male)

Modularman2009 HB User

Thanks Joe, I am going to raise my bed. Right now Im using a pillow wedge and believe me, that does not work. I am more worried about the sudden thud or pain that I get in my epigastrium or upper abdomen. It comes out of no-where and it feels like what maybe a baby kicking you in the same spot would feel like maybe or a big rubber band that someone pulled and let snap. sometimes thats all there is, and sometimes my whole upper abdomen is sore for a while and aches. It disappears, then days, weeks or months it comes back for a while. I also get the gurgling, burping and so on as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I put the cinder blocks under the head of my be and honestly I get no GERD symptoms at night. It seems to be helping although my wife hates it!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
(female)

harleygirl77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modularman2009 View Post
He says its most likely Gerd, or ulcer, or hernia, and I should take Omeprazole and see what happens. I have fullness under the rib cage, loud gurgling in my stomach, and when I get up and walk around I burb a lot. I took this omeprazole for a month, I did feel a lot better and he said dont take it now and lets see what happens. I went back to my bad eating habits and wham it came back. Im on it again. No heartburn or chest pain. I have fullness and almost a pulling sensation in my throat and upper abdomen. The thing that really really puzzles me and he just blows it off, is that this started my jabbing quick pains in my upper abdomen. These were quick and lasted seconds and hurt. then my upper abdomen was sore for a while and went away. Most of these quick zaps of pain were upon movement like getting up from bed, getting up from a sitting position, twisting my torso, etc. Never while in bed. Somehow I feel they are pvc's that Im feeling in my upper abdomen. They come from nowhere and I can be without them for days and then bang they hit me quick and go away. What is this "thing" that is tormenting me. Gallbladder attacks? pvc's, spasms of esophagus or some other organ or muscle. Please if anyone has this or knows what it might be, let me know. my Dr. has known me for 30 years (I am 63) and just makes quick guesses all the time. Thanks so much for any comments.
I would say it is GERD with a few other things. I will post what i have been diagnosed with. It's hard to explain all my symptoms but if you have time you should probably do research on them. I have been taking nexium 40 mg (2x daily) & Zantac 300 mg (2x daily) for a year and my symptoms seem to be worse. I also take carafate 2x daily along with Bentyl 20 mg (3x daily) . I have been diagnosed with IBS, GERD, Gastritis, La Class B Erosive Esophagitis in my (GE Junction) & LA Class A Esophagitis in my (Esophagus). I have been on all 4 medicines for a year & my symptoms are getting alot worse & the drs won't do anything more than an upper GI. I was told by my M.D. to have a Bravo Probe. But i don't know how much more pain I can take. My voice is always hoarse or i lose it 95% of the time, I stay nauseous, I don't eat because my stomach feels full, & stays swollen, & i have gained 50 lbs in less than 2 months. When I do eat i get sick, I constantly clear my throat & it tickles alot & i cough for no reason, I sleep about 2 hours a night for no reason. So, I am looking for a new dr that will help me.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
(female)

harleygirl77 HB User

I would say it is GERD with a few other things. I will post what i have been diagnosed with. It's hard to explain all my symptoms but if you have time you should probably do research on them. I have been taking nexium 40 mg (2x daily) & Zantac 300 mg (2x daily) for a year and my symptoms seem to be worse. I also take carafate 2x daily along with Bentyl 20 mg (3x daily) . I have been diagnosed with IBS, GERD, Gastritis, La Class B Erosive Esophagitis in my (GE Junction) & LA Class A Esophagitis in my (Esophagus). I have been on all 4 medicines for a year & my symptoms are getting alot worse & the drs won't do anything more than an upper GI. I was told by my M.D. to have a Bravo Probe. But i don't know how much more pain I can take. My voice is always hoarse or i lose it 95% of the time, I stay nauseous, I don't eat because my stomach feels full, & stays swollen, & i have gained 50 lbs in less than 2 months. When I do eat i get sick, I constantly clear my throat & it tickles alot & i cough for no reason, I sleep about 2 hours a night for no reason. So, I am looking for a new dr that will help me.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I just want to update something. I have had the cinder blocks under the head of my bed now for about 12 days and I swear it helps me. I NEVER wake up with burning in my throat anymore. (and I have been drinking a lot of soda lately). Best thing I have ever done for my GERD!!!

Closed Thread