It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

Bfones HB User
scared of ph motility test tomorrow! help!

Hi, I'm have a 24 hr ph motility test tomorrow and I've never talked to anyone who has had it done. I'm not sure if this is wise, but I would like to know how bad it is. I'm trying to prepare myself.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

TXGrama HB User
Re: scared of ph motility test tomorrow! help!

It's not bad at all. I had it done a week ago & go to doctor tomorrow to get results. This was my experience.

A little uncomfortable as tubes are inserted, but didn't find it was a problem. I have a super gag reflex and thought it would be a problem, but the nurse was real good at it. They use a very thin tube and it is inserted thru the nose. For the manometry (motility), I was in a semi reclining position after insertion of probe, & they gave me small sips of water to swallow. They move the probe up slowing and have you sip water again. This measures the pressure in the esophagus. It took about 20-30 min. My nurse even played music while it was being done.

For the 24 hr PH/Impedance, a very thin PH probe is inserted in, which is calibrated before insertion, they use the manometry results as a guide as to where to place the PH probe. Once the probe is inserted, they tape it to your nose & face and you have small monitor with you (mine had a strap to put around my neck-laid on bed at night). Then you just do what ever you normally do-eat, exercise, etc. Just no showering because of electronic monitor.

Hope this helps you a little. Hope all goes well tomorrow,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread