It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
(male)

Jerrod4567 HB User
New to board do I have LPR?

Hi there
About 5 months ago I started getting this weird taste in the back of my throat. I would say describing it as acidic would be accurate. Never did I, or do I have heartburn which made me question wether it could be reflux. As the past 5 months have progressed the taste is still there at times but not always, but whats happened more so is that I have developed a very tight squeezing sensation in my eusophogus right where my collar bones come together. It also includes my throat in general as well as some tightness in the upper chest but its centered where my collar bones come together. I have read up on LPR and am wondering if this could be it? (Haven't been to the Doctor yet, appointment next week) My throat creates a lot of spit and phlegm and I have the classic, constantly clearing my throat and having to spit signs. What I dont have however is a particular feeling of pain or soreness on one side or the other, my ears dont feel plugged and my throat never feels the type of pain you would associate with acid burning it (like having bronchitus) Lately I've been having this tightness feeling every day all day. The symptoms sometimes worsen and sometimes I feel relief. I have found that if I dont eat, it doesnt help. I can still wake up, and get the symptoms even with no food. I have also noticed however some foods, especially deep fried/greasy make it way worse and I'll start hacking/coughing so bad I usually end up spitting something up.

I have often wondered if a lot of whats happening is caused mentally as I would consider myself somebody with a lot of stress and in general I do tend to worry often. I guess I would say I'm somewhat of a hypocondriac. Whenever I'm worried or upset I noticed the symptoms more. If I'm outside doing something or my mind isnt on it, thery are still there but not as severe.

Something interesting I have found. Basically the only real relief I get happens on the rare occasions I drink alcohol at night (which I know is a big no no for reflux) I have noticed however after several drinks my symptoms though always there feel some quite a bit of relief. Would this be the mental aspect of it kicking in? Are my symptoms improving because im more relaxed? I found this pretty interesting.

I dont have any trouble sleeping and honestly the best I feel through the day is right after I wake up. At this time the symptoms are very weak. As the day goes on however they increase substantially pretty much every day now following this pattern now.

Anyways this is my first post on here, I found this board very helpful and I thought I'd throw this out here and get peoples opinions. Thank you very much and I'd be glad to answer any other questions about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
(male)

darryl57 HB User
Re: New to board do I have LPR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod4567 View Post
Hi there
About 5 months ago I started getting this weird taste in the back of my throat. I would say describing it as acidic would be accurate. Never did I, or do I have heartburn which made me question wether it could be reflux. As the past 5 months have progressed the taste is still there at times but not always, but whats happened more so is that I have developed a very tight squeezing sensation in my eusophogus right where my collar bones come together. It also includes my throat in general as well as some tightness in the upper chest but its centered where my collar bones come together. I have read up on LPR and am wondering if this could be it? (Haven't been to the Doctor yet, appointment next week) My throat creates a lot of spit and phlegm and I have the classic, constantly clearing my throat and having to spit signs. What I dont have however is a particular feeling of pain or soreness on one side or the other, my ears dont feel plugged and my throat never feels the type of pain you would associate with acid burning it (like having bronchitus) Lately I've been having this tightness feeling every day all day. The symptoms sometimes worsen and sometimes I feel relief. I have found that if I dont eat, it doesnt help. I can still wake up, and get the symptoms even with no food. I have also noticed however some foods, especially deep fried/greasy make it way worse and I'll start hacking/coughing so bad I usually end up spitting something up.

I have often wondered if a lot of whats happening is caused mentally as I would consider myself somebody with a lot of stress and in general I do tend to worry often. I guess I would say I'm somewhat of a hypocondriac. Whenever I'm worried or upset I noticed the symptoms more. If I'm outside doing something or my mind isnt on it, thery are still there but not as severe.

Something interesting I have found. Basically the only real relief I get happens on the rare occasions I drink alcohol at night (which I know is a big no no for reflux) I have noticed however after several drinks my symptoms though always there feel some quite a bit of relief. Would this be the mental aspect of it kicking in? Are my symptoms improving because im more relaxed? I found this pretty interesting.

I dont have any trouble sleeping and honestly the best I feel through the day is right after I wake up. At this time the symptoms are very weak. As the day goes on however they increase substantially pretty much every day now following this pattern now.

Anyways this is my first post on here, I found this board very helpful and I thought I'd throw this out here and get peoples opinions. Thank you very much and I'd be glad to answer any other questions about this.
If possible make an appointment to see a ENT and give them your symptoms, and they will generally take a look at your throat area to see if they see anything there.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
(male)

marky1956 HB User

I have LPR and have no burning sensations or pains. I do have a great deal of phlem and mucus to deal with, especially in the morning after waking, and have the occassional dry cough. As Darryl stated, go see and ENT and he/she will look into your throat and make the call. GL.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
(female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User

It's possible that you could have LPR, but only an ENT can make that diagnosis.

With my LPR, I usually get burning in my throat, tightness & swelling, redness, hoarseness, shortness of breath, chest heaviness, globus sensation, excess phlegm, dryness with a dry cough, and sinus irritation and swelling.

Last edited by Indianmist; 10-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
(male)

darryl57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianmist View Post
It's possible that you could have LPR, but only an ENT can make that diagnosis.

With my LPR, I usually get burning in my throat, tightness & swelling, redness, hoarseness, shortness of breath, chest heaviness, globus sensation, excess phlegm, dryness with a dry cough, and sinus irritation and swelling.
Are you being treated ? How is the treatment coming along ?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

nba123 HB User

You have described many of my symptoms exactly. It took me sometime to put it all together. I finally went to the doctor after the chest tightness resulted in some wheezing. I started my PPI today. I'm crossing my fingers. Hopefully, you are feeling better. Have you gotten any meds or started changing your behavior. I think my excessive drinking of wine in the evenings exacerbated my reflux. I've cute it out totally.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
(female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl57 View Post
Are you being treated ? How is the treatment coming along ?
Hi Darryl,

I know this reply is coming late, but I haven't been to this board in a while I'm usually on a board that deals with heartburn and LPR. Anyway, yes, i'm being treated, but I've also discovered that I now have VCD as a result of the LPR. treatment for LPR was going good for a while (8 years on Nexium and Reglan) and then Nexium/Reglan started to give me side effects.

i think moved on to Aciphex, that too worked for a few years and started causing side-effects. Now I've just started Kapidex 3 days ago, and I'm waiting for that to kick in.

In the meantime, I'm seeing a Speech Therapist to deal with the VCD. So, it's a work in progress. In another month or so, I hope to be doing better.

Closed Thread