It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

benzos HB User
UK Acid and its hopeless!

I was diagnosed with acid reflux three years ago. Tried two different PPI's and didnt tolerate them very well ...caused severe dizziness and nausea. The nature of my problems have changed. At first I just got the burning throat, hoarse voice, odd twinges of pain etc. For a long time now I have been getting very very breathless..its so bad I feel I havent the energy to talk or walk too far.

About 6 months ago and knowing of my acid reflux probs, my general doc referred me to the cardiac department. Had stress test ( negligible result), echo - fine, 24 hr ecg - fine. Now the cardiac team want me to have a thallium test and perhaps an angiogram.

No one is listening to me!! The shortness of breath is only bad when I am having a severe spell of acid reflux. I also have IBS. One of biggest symptoms is also burping...like 100 times a day sometimes!! I burped 18 times over one drink this morning! When I burp I feel a bit of relief with the breathing prob though it soon comes back. I wake up burping and go to sleep burping. I am just about to be tested for h pylori.
The breathing is weird. Its not like I am panting for breath for all to see ( as you imagine with angina and asthma)..its like I am grinding to a halt inside my chest! My body from the tummy up feels heavy and my breathing feels like an effort...like the normal mechanism of breathing is very dulled. It can make me very dizzy. Ialso get occasional odd flutters in the heart or thats the way it feels..sometimes a strange odd beat or three.

I am in the UK. Things run slow here re treatment for stuff/tests etc but I just had such an awful day today I honestly felt like throwing in the towel. I have two kids still at home and just walking down to the local shop is an effort...breathing wise..... I feel like I am suffocating/drowning...wading through mud. I darent lie down properly ( already have bed elevated) and am almost bolt upright to sleep. I aksed my doc if acid could be getting onto my lungs...she listened to them and said , no because there was no crackle to hear! A few weeks ago I ended up at casualty with the breathing thing and they did a chest x-ray and a blood gas test. Both fine. Sent me home with no idea of where the breathlessness was coming from. I havent seen the gastric team since my endoscopy 3 yrs ago.

What do you think I should do? Somethings gotta happen soon, its ruining my daily life and I am beginning to feel depressed.

thanks
benzos

Last edited by benzos; 10-28-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
Re: UK Acid and its hopeless!

oh.......i am sooo sorry and i can completely relate. I am crying as i type this, my son is in preschool right now and i can't even bend over to help him get dressed, i am supposed to go to work, i cannot eat b/c acid is burning my lungs and my nose and i feel like i can't breathe and the food literally sits in my throat and regurgiates and mucous and i am out of money for this, my poor husband....the prilosec 2 x a day isn't helping. I have recently begun acupuncture and i noticed less pain in my gallbladder but it isn't a quick fix and if i am having troublw swallowing water then i'm in trouble....damnit this sucks....and this has been going on for 4 months straight now..

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

benzos HB User

Thanks...I feel for you too.

I just feel theres a school of thought over here in the UK that disregards the connection between the breathing thing and the acid. One doc actually laughed at me when I suggested that!

I really am fed up. I got a whole lot to do but between the burping, the pain and the breathlessness I feel grounded!

Benzos

Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
(male)

TheAngelGabriel HB User

Wow, i'm sorry for all your troubles and i feel somepeople have it way worse than others and i feel for you both. I have the flutters, the palps, the heaviness chest discomfort and no heart problems and i'm just hoping it's a gas/acid refulx thing although i don't want that either so i need to look more into it..sometimes i feel that if nothing serious is happening or life threatening, then don't build too much anxiety over it and that you're gonna be ok. Don't give up please and do what you can to not fall into the bad...i hope you all feel better real soon.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

benzos HB User

Thanks. I know there are people worse off than me but my life was really picking up in the last year. I am 50 and feel 70! This breathlessness makes me irritable and I havent got much patience for my kids and grandkids when its happening. My house is going to pot because I feel drained. I am not the wife I was either. I meditate daily . Have done for last two years and I KNOW its not anxiety thats causing it.
Benzos

Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

katarina66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzos View Post
Thanks...I feel for you too.

I just feel theres a school of thought over here in the UK that disregards the connection between the breathing thing and the acid. One doc actually laughed at me when I suggested that!

I really am fed up. I got a whole lot to do but between the burping, the pain and the breathlessness I feel grounded!

Benzos
******** all the info from the net and take it along to your doc. I did this with another problem and the doc said she was glad I had done it. she said they just didn't have time to keep up with all the new trains of thought.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
(male)

Browin HB User

Consider getting an allergy p.rick [sic] test for foods that commonly trigger allergies. I did this and found out I had a wheat allergy. About a month after I stopped eating wheat the shortness of breath and heartburn went away completely, though still having trouble with the chronic burping/regurgitation.

Last edited by Browin; 10-30-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

benzos HB User

Thanks for all your help guys. Was thinking of taking print outs for doc. Got a burning tongue this morning something awful. Have started on the pine nut oil though no good news I am afraid though it may take time???

Benzos

Closed Thread