It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

mucous HB User
Burning throat which anti-acids won't soothe!

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed by an ENT consultant as having acid reflux.

Bit of a long story but for sometime now I have had fairly frequent sore throats and ear aches. Doctors have generally treated me for throat infections with anti-biotics which have for the most part sorted things out.

About 3 months ago, I had a couple of bouts of sore throats and anti-biotics were not shifting it. I also started getting a burning throat (which initially felt like the onset of a throat infection) but Gaviscon etc did not relieve the symptoms in any way. The doctor at this point put me on 20mg of pantoprazole. This didnít really seem to do much so moved me up to 40mg per day.

I was referred to an ENT consultant informed him of all of my symptoms which included: sore throat, incessant throat clearing, husky voice, irritating cough, mucous (lots of), burping, burning throat, ear aches, neck pain, shooting pains under my jaw etc etc etc.

He did the scope up the nose and down the throat (as far as the vocal chords) and did not find anything sinister although was surprised at the amount of mucous in my sinuses and in my throat. He put me up to 40mg of pantoprazole twice a day and I went back 1 week later for a sinus xray. Again everything was clear as far as he could see which did put my mind to rest. He has kept me on the 40mg twice daily for a month to see if we can get it under control.

When I get the burning throat (like now) nothing really seems to soothe it in terms of Gaviscon, Alisone etc etc. Is that normal for acid reflux or do people generally get short term relief? My symtoms tend to come and go. Might be there for a couple of days but then might be ok for 4 or 5. Havenít kept a food diary or anything but trigger factors are not immediately apparent. I never have any problems whilst eating and it actually feels quite soothing eating food but sure enough the symtoms return soon after and nothing seems to shift it. Anybody got similar issues? Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: Burning throat which anti-acids won't soothe!

Yes, it does feel better to eat doesn't it. In fact it never hurts when you eat but yet your throat burns when you are done.Well, relax. It took me 4 month to get the burning throat to heal. After Nexium helped everything else, mucus, cough, tickle, food coming back up. It took the rest of the time to heal the back of the throat. So don't think it will be gone in a couple of weeks it wont.Have patients, as frustrating as it is....it WILL get better.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
(male)

mucous HB User

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the encouragement. Yes the ENT said that it would take time to clear up but WILL get better. I guess the unnerving part is that somedays I get absolutely no burning (like today ) and then other days I get it all day. Good (or should that be sorry) to hear that you have the same experiences when eating. I always thought that acid reflux was something that people got after eating and that a quick glug of gaviscon or other brand would quickly alleviate it (perhaps I am too believing of their advertising). I was concerned that my burn seemed to be a steady irritation that would stay with me for a day or more without any respite except when eating and that gaviscon etc did not seem to have any effect, in fact, if anything gaviscon seems to increase the burning feeling (the mint flavour anyway).

Kind regards

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

Rule number 1...for me anyway, NO MINT of any kind.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

Did you guys manage to cure your throat by chance? Thnx !

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

painter207 HB User

Yes, I have. Since my last post I have had no problem with the burning. Havent been on Nexium for a year. I'm not one to take a lot of meds if i can help it. How are you all doing?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User

I have very similar problems to the ones you described in your first post. My throat is burning and my ears feel clogged, like a throbbing feeling in them. The burning comes and goes, but today it is bad. I also have sensations in my upper chest. I have been on Prilosec for a week now but feel no relief at all. I am starting to feel depressed over this and fear that it may be something really bad. On top of it I sprained my ankle yesterday so I feel like a mess. How long did it take for your problems to go away? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
(female)

bimik HB User

Painter, are you doing anything special to cure your LPR?
I don't want to take PPIs either. There are days I am better, days when I am worse. The only thing that helps me is DGLs.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
(female)

painter207 HB User

It took four month to go away. I took one Nexium daily and at three month when it wasn't helping the Dr. said to take two. That did it for me. After three weeks that helped.
Now I try not to go to bed and lie flat right after dinner.(I watch TV in bed)
So we did get a sleep number bed that raises , so now I'm in a sitting possition until I feel my food has sunk enough. Stress can bring on reflex and I also am trying to keep the level of that down.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
(female)

cindyloutx HB User

Painter, you seem to be one of the few posters who have given me hope. But...here's my issues...diagnosed with LPR after being misdiagnosed with just pharyngitis and possible strep. They put me on antibiotics, no help. Saw an ENT a week later, who scoped me and sent me for an Upper GI Barium Swallow. I have a hiatal hernia (small, sliding), but doc says this is most likely LPR. I haven't been able to swallow solid food since Feb. 18th of this year. I'm on Dexilant 60mg in the morning and Zantac 150 at night. I will have a few good days where I think I'm starting to heal, and then boom, I get the sore throat and acid backing up stuff again. I'm wondering if the Dexilant is not right for me or if it has just stopped working, or maybe it just needs more time. Curious as to what you think. I was told this can take 6 months to heal, but shouldn't I be seeing at least something good by now ?

Thanks,
Cindy

Closed Thread