It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
(male)

jimwallace HB User
Salt as a natural cure?

Hi,

I've been taking Losec (proton pump inhibitor) for just over 10 years, due to a damaged oesophigal sphincter caused by rapid weight gain/loss about 11 years ago. I'm a healthy weight and am pretty active for my age (30) through jogging. I smoke and drink a little which I know is bad, but bear with me.

Losec works really well for me, I never suffer from heartburn provided I take my tablets regularly and at the right time (once a day, in the morning preferably before breakfast).

Yesterday I went to an alternative therapies type convention. When I mentioned to one of the people with a display about my taking losec, he told me that this is a terrible drug and that I need to be off it immediatly. He claimed I will suffer side effects for the rest of my life and need to get off it now.

I told him that I have had a gastroscopy (I think thats it, the one with the camera down the throat) back when I was first diagnosed, and that every doctor I have seen since has told me that there are no problems with Losec. He said that this is rubbish and that doctors are paid by pharm. companies etc - the usual sort of thing.

He said that I can fix it by taking two teaspoons of salt in warm water each day, as it is generally caused by a lack of salt in the body.

Normally I wouldnt believe this sort of thing, but he was so passionate about it and seemed very switched on that I thought I should investigate it a little further.

Has anyone heard of this before, or any other natural remedies?

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
(female)

care_berry HB User
Re: Salt as a natural cure?

Hi there! Yes, I have heard quite a bit about how bad heartburn drugs can be. I have heard of salt as a good alternative, along with many other changes in diet that can be helpful. Dr. Mercola has a lot of info about this subject and has several good books out there. According to him, it is so important to not stop taking those meds all at once, but to gradually decrease them. You might make things worse by stopping them right away. I would check out some of his books and things. I bet it could really help you. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
(female)

peggster HB User
Smile Re: Salt as a natural cure?

I too am using PPI's (w/o great results tho) & looking for alternatives that work. I am not a "pill" person, however this LPR has put me in the position where I had to get relief from the swallowing difficulties it produced til I can find an alternative that works for me.

< edited > Dr. Oz also said that Himalayan pink salt taken for heartburn works (just showed licking some off your hand so not sure how much).

I know there are alternatives for our condition but I don't think everything works for everybody so it's trial & error. Good luck to you & I hope you find your cure.

Peggy

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-08-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Re: Salt as a natural cure?

Digestive Grape Bitters is what you need to try for acid reflux.

Closed Thread