It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

ohSNAPCAKES HB User
odd pain/strange feeling in my throat. help?

I wasn't sure where to put this. I figured this would be the best place.

day before yesterday, out of the blue, my throat started to feel strange. we had just finished eating pizza. my boyfriend has a small esophagus (can't remember what that's called), so he's constantly having to sit there and chug water to push the food down, and as he was doing this I suddenly felt like I had something stuck in my throat. I simply thought "oh what a strange coincidence", waited for him to finish with the water, then took it and drank some. the feeling didn't go away. at that point there was no pain, just that awkward feeling of having something stuck in your throat. I finally gave up and went on with my day. the strange feeling grew to an even more strange feeling throughout the day. neither of them I can really explain. that night I was drinking more water before bed and I THOUGHT I felt whatever was stuck go down. the feeling was gone, and I could sleep because it no longer felt like there was pressure in my throat.

but I woke up yesterday and had pizza for breakfast (I can't see how this would be the cause, though because I threw up later that night and the pain is still there)...and the feeling came back. only worse. this time it hurt. not all the time, most of the day it was that awkward, sort of pressure feeling. but if I burped it would feel horrible. sometimes randomly it would hurt. it's so hard to explain in writing.

it feels like it's gotten worse now, and I'm sitting here unable to go to bed (it's 5 in the morning and I still haven't slept) because it bothers me so much. I just swallowed air to make myself burp so I could explain it better...when I push the air down my throat it FEELS like it goes over a lump. but that could be in my paranoid head. I don't know anymore...

it's in the front, middle of my throat. just one spot, not the whole throat.

any ideas? I want to go to the doctor but my insurance won't kick in for another week...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User
Re: odd pain/strange feeling in my throat. help?

Hi. I just got similar feeling this month. It was awful, I still have them, but they seem to be getting better. My ENT doctor luckily knows about LPR (silent reflux) and if your doctor doesn't know, you better @#4ing tell him, because it's a pretty painful thing to go through with doctors thinking you are just a hypochondriac.

You need your larynx and pharynx looked at for redness, and maybe some other tests, but the treatment I am on is 2 ppis which get rid of stomach acid. Some of that acid might be getting into your voice box throat region, which gets burned much easier by heartburn than the esophagus. It seems like most people are success stories with the condition you might have, because not too many people on these forums write about it after they get some treatment. Change your diet too. Everything you like = gone. Vegitables and soy milk = get used to it. That's what some people say, because you have to reduce acid in your stomach, so that any reflux will not start quietly burning your throat. Only go to bed 3 or 4 hours after your last meal. Don't lie down after meals. If you have LPR (which is pretty common even though a lot of general doctors wouldn't have a clue about it) these things will help. Most of all, ask for proton pump inhibitors and tell doctors that your symptoms match acid reflux in the throat region. I'm going through this too, all month, and I know it's no fun. Best of luck to you. I hope we are both going to be looking back on this as a distant memory of a bad time, in only a few weeks or months.
P.S. I'm not sure if you have LPR but check the symptoms, and find an ENT doctor who can add his expert opinion. This terrible problem is finally getting more recognition. Also check out "Dr. Jamie Koufman" the leading doctor on the subject. Google it and see if your symptoms match it. Early therapy supposedly makes the recovery easier.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

PPS.

I notice your symptoms started a year ago actually. I'm surprised no one had the decency to reply to you even though 800 people viewed it.

I hope it went away or you got treated. What has the last year been like?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
(female)

stina3246 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Sunrise View Post
PPS.

I notice your symptoms started a year ago actually. I'm surprised no one had the decency to reply to you even though 800 people viewed it.

I hope it went away or you got treated. What has the last year been like?
LOL....looks like you were doing the same thing as I was, scanning for info. I do try to get back on this site once in a while to see if I can help people out like they helped me.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

tru2mlf HB User

I too have the feeling of something lodged in my throat. I described it to the ENT doctor as if I had a spoon of pnut butter in there that wouldn't go down. He examined me and diagnosed me with severe acid reflux; told me not to eat 3-4 hours prior to laying down and limit spicy foods and coffee (btw, mexican is my favorite food and Starbucks and I have a special relationship) I began taking prilosec OTC on Friday and hope that it will soon get better. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

The poster probably never came back either..if you notice...she has only 1 post as registering...

Closed Thread