It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
trouble eating

So, i have been having problems with esophagitis and mild gastritis for nearly 5 months now....came on overnight. I am convinced it started when weaning from my anxirty meds, but hard to prove. Anyways, i have been on many different ppi's to no avail and MANY side effects, although i am currently on prilosec 20 mg once a day which does nothing but i stay on it. i've recently been receiving acupuncture and eating a very healthy diet but something is odd. I will be "ok enough" to eat small meals and then eat one spoonful over and i will feel a muscle or something bulging, no burning really except for in my upper throat, etc. This horribleness will last a week or more and every bite i take is hellish, its like the food just wants to regurgitate. It makes NO difference if its tomato based or potatoes or an ensure, its the AMOUNT.

In the meantime of "healing?" my throat will feel itchy in spots way down there, like healing skin. I had my endoscopy in July and there were no ulcers at the time but after months of this i'm sure there are now. I don't currently want to find out b/c i feel devasted. I am giving this my all. I do NOT want to die from this.

Does anyone else have trouble eating? feel like food starts to come back up or something and you have to just keep swallowing? Similar stories shared would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I know what i'm going through isn't normal but i'm doing everything in the book, its trial and error and i am desperately trying to stop thinking of what damage lurks down there b/c it makes me cry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
(female)

Coasty HB User
Re: trouble eating

Hi there. I just read your post and had to reply. I too was coming off anxiety meds and I was doing really well ie: no rebound anxiety at all. Overnight I got sick and was eventually diagnosed with gastritis. It has been 6 months now and although I am on the improve I am not back to normal yet.
I am sorry I can't actually help with your actual question, but it is quite a coincidence that we were both coming off anxiety meds when we got sick!
Good luck
Sara

Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
(male)

mucous HB User

Hi Marigoldgirl, can't offer you any precise advice but just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon, try not to worry about it too much, I am sure that the anxiety of acid reflux brings it on in a vicious circle.

Kind regards

Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

thank you guys this is HELLISH! I have weeks where its tolerable but weeks where any/all food is hard to get down. I don't even know what to do right now. When i call the dr's office they tell me i need to try another ppi (i've done this quite a few times now and they sometimes work in the begiining then stop and it gets worse). I know they can do more tests, blah. blah. blah but i am just soooooooooooooo burned out. I just want to eat some food, drink an ensure and its ok, you know? I just want to be alright. I have faith but its a dark part of the tunnel i'm in right now (physically). I am honest to goodness thinking of weaning off the omnaprazole (20 mg once in morning) to see if it is making me have a harder time digesting food? It feels like food just sits there and tries to come back up. In the mean time i am relaxing as much as possible and especially after "meals" and i just started dgl licorice and i'm doing the aloe vera gel juice.

ps. I am interested to hear more of your coming off meds story, i REALLY feel there has been a huge corelation with that and this gallbladder/esophagitis issues b/c it all came on so quickly. But of course the dr's think i'm crazy for ever thinking that. I think it subconciously puts my body under physical stress (the withdrawl) after being on them every day for 2 1/2 years now....yuck...i just want to survive this hell.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

painter207 HB User

Boy. this is very interesting. Never giving this a thought but now I have a feeling when I went off of amytritaline cold turkey in Feb., I started getting acid reflux after that. So bad that I had the burning throat which finally went away after 5 month on Nexium. I now went off of Nexium now becaue I don't feel I need it. I didn't like what it does to your digestion anyway.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter207 View Post
Boy. this is very interesting. Never giving this a thought but now I have a feeling when I went off of amytritaline cold turkey in Feb., I started getting acid reflux after that. So bad that I had the burning throat which finally went away after 5 month on Nexium. I now went off of Nexium now becaue I don't feel I need it. I didn't like what it does to your digestion anyway.
really? I have been doing some research and researchers are finding that we actually have more serontonin connections, etc. in the gut than the brain! Chinese medicine has known this for awhile. But no one has any ideas what medicine does exactly what to certain areas of your gut...but i am proof, there are BIG connections.

I am trying my best, i just want to survive this guys, i can feel the ulcers in my throat (itchy and sore spots) and see one mouth ulcer (smaller)...i had none at my endoscopy in July, just irritation to esophagus and stomach and dr can't figure out why it came on so quickly and won't leave. Has anyone had esophagitis for 5 consecutive months and still has a functioning throat? I don't understand how it still works after how horrible it feels. I am TERRIFIED of what they would find now. I have been in a constant state of mild withdrawl for so long now b/c i've been tapering VERY slowly after a few rapid attempts left me with worse panic disorder, insomnia than i previously had. I feel like i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I HATE these anxiety meds and feel better and better mentally the more i get off them BUT my physical body is seeing very rough days. Esophagitis and gallbladder, gastritis and ibs came on within months, just out of the blue during this lengthy withdrawl.

Anyways, i am sorry for an emotional post but i am feeling soooo worn out from the pain and discomfort and just need to vent and find others like me. This is VERY lonely, especially with the holidays coming up. I just want to eat a bowl of cereal with no discomfort or the feeling it just won't go down let alone a thanksgiving meal.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

bypeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post
So, i have been having problems with esophagitis and mild gastritis for nearly 5 months now....came on overnight. I am convinced it started when weaning from my anxirty meds, but hard to prove. Anyways, i have been on many different ppi's to no avail and MANY side effects, although i am currently on prilosec 20 mg once a day which does nothing but i stay on it. i've recently been receiving acupuncture and eating a very healthy diet but something is odd. I will be "ok enough" to eat small meals and then eat one spoonful over and i will feel a muscle or something bulging, no burning really except for in my upper throat, etc. This horribleness will last a week or more and every bite i take is hellish, its like the food just wants to regurgitate. It makes NO difference if its tomato based or potatoes or an ensure, its the AMOUNT.

In the meantime of "healing?" my throat will feel itchy in spots way down there, like healing skin. I had my endoscopy in July and there were no ulcers at the time but after months of this i'm sure there are now. I don't currently want to find out b/c i feel devasted. I am giving this my all. I do NOT want to die from this.

Does anyone else have trouble eating? feel like food starts to come back up or something and you have to just keep swallowing? Similar stories shared would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I know what i'm going through isn't normal but i'm doing everything in the book, its trial and error and i am desperately trying to stop thinking of what damage lurks down there b/c it makes me cry.
Hi,

I'm having some of these problems lately too. Though mine were out of the blue after a round of Augmentin for a breast infection. I'm fine while I'm eating, except for occasionally I feel the food in my back on its way down. And I'm generally fine for about 10-30 minutes after I eat. Then all hell breaks loose.

I will first feel a bloated feeling in my upper stomach, which is accompanied by a trapped and gassy feeling behind my sternum, but high in the chest. Then I get a tightness and start to feel my throat filling up, with food. If I burp at this point, food comes up.

I too will have an itchy throat which is accompanied by a constant sore throat. And, I get the bulging sensation you speak of, just above my collar bones, in the base of my throat - right where that little hollow is. But I only get it after I've eaten supper. Not lunch usually or coffee in the morning, though sometimes slightly.

After the pressure settles down, and the burps turn from foamy to airy, it comes up and I lose the lump feeling and the pressure. But it takes 1-3 hours and it's annoying as hell.

I hope you get resolution, I know that I'm dreading going to the Dr.'s about this because I try to be there as little as possible. Once every 2 years is good enough for me!

Take care!

Closed Thread