It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

linden13 HB User
Question Link between swine flu and acid reflux

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE , SOMEONE ANSWER THIS .
My husband has been really ill with acid reflux causing(according to GP) severe oesophagitis to the extent that he can hardly swallow anything, everything keeps getting stuck and he brings it back. He is living on soup and cereals which isn't good as he is diabetic.When he coughs stuff up it is clear and frothy but no blood. Anyone else had this? He also is burping all the time.

All the problems seemed to start after he had a bout of what we think was swine flu which left him with a very bad chest infection. He coughed all day and night for three weeks. Since then, about the last four weeks the bile and unable to swallow has got progressively worse. Went to GP on Tuesday and was prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg x2 per day. I know its early days (3) but he now has the runs and still cannot swallow. Is this normal and when can he expect to start getting some respite .
Can anyone recommend suitable food he could eat apart from soup, cereal and milk puddings.

Last edited by linden13; 11-26-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: wanted to make it stand out

Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

destiny dawn HB Userdestiny dawn HB User
Re: Link between swine flu and acid reflux

i was immediately interested in this post because my 4 year old daughter had a similar experience.
she fell ill with a terrible flu about 3 months ago. ended up in hospital on a ventilator to open up her lungs and give her extra oxygen. she was really sick with a constant high fever for days i believe it was H1N1.
Anyways, ever since then, she often complains of tummy aches and has random bouts of nausea and diarrhea that come every week or so. we've been to the docs several times and even had her bowels tested for blood, parasites, infection. all clear.
the weird thing is that she's perfectly fine in between bouts, but when she gets the diarrhea and cramps (sometimes with severe vomiting at the same time) she becomes lethargic and very pale and acts dizzy. you can hear her tummy making all sorts of squishing and grumbling noises. then after about an hour of suffering, she perks right up and it's as if it never happened.
the next step i have taken is journalling her meals and times of upset to see if i can find a correlation with certain foods.
i definitely feel suspicious about that flu she had though and i found it interesting that your husband went through that initially too. maybe we can come to a conclusion together?
i wish him luck and if the docs do end up figuring something out i'll post about it here. i know these two cases aren't identical, but age could be the only factor changing the nature of their complaints....who knows?
good luck
-destiny

i forgot to mention that she has also been constantly clearing her throat and coughing weakly, and saying she has hot spit stuck in it..

Last edited by destiny dawn; 11-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
(female)

plumber1975 HB User

finally someone who is suffering from what i am. I had swine flu that went into a chest infection three months ago and ever since i have had acid reflux problems i cant eat anything but small amounts of the blandest of food and my stomacjs like a washing machine. Doctors say there is no link but i read somewhere else that constant post nasal drip and chest infection can upset the stomach and trigger of the above symptoms. The only thing helping me at the moment is exercise because it seems to help the stomach kick out some of the gad and acid. Im also trying aloe vera capsules, motillium and fennel tea (apperantly anything peppermint triggers acid)
hopefully theres an end in sight for all this because its driving me nuts

Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

plumber1975 HB User

destiny dawn - totally understand about the hot spit thing i have had constant stuff in my throat since the virus but finding it difficult to cough up if its mixed with acid reflux it does feel hot. my daughter is six she had the virus as well and she has been complaining of tummy pains occassionally too

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Funny you should post this new post because I thought that I was having a bout of acid reflux yesterday and it turns out I was coming down with a nasty flu. I have been in bed for 2 days. I have had body aches, fever, chills, diarrea and a headache. I tell ya, lots of times you can kick up a case of acid reflux from bouts of vomitting and the flu. So don't be suprised if that is going on. I have had reflux issues for a couple of years now. I can always tell it is acting up because there is a certain kind of mucus in the throat. I even feel asmatic. Trying to get a full breath in. I find that Prevacid works best for me. Sometimes you have to go to a stronger medication.

Closed Thread