It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

bypeep HB User
Question Stomach Issues - Swollen esophagus, chest pressure, bloating

Hi, 35 year old female here.

(Warning: This is long)

In August of this year, I had a problem with my breast that resulted in an extreme amount of anxiety that lasted for about 2-3 weeks while I was waiting for test results. It turned out that I had a ruptured breast cyst that had become abscessed because it was partly inside of my milk-duct. It was originally diagnosed as Mastitis, though I have never had children/breast-fed.

I was placed on Augmentin (Amoxycillin +) 500mg 2x a day for 10 days to clear up the infection. For the first few days I had explosive diarrhea which I attributed to the medication. I wasn't able to eat anything but a piece or two of bread each day during this time and I became weak, dehydrated and fatigued. After that I became extremely constipated.

About 2 weeks after the antibiotic, I noticed I had the sensation of a lump in my throat almost constantly. I had also developed a relentless case of vertigo (which they believe is my ear) and combined with five weeks of constipation (3 bowel movements during this time) I was on a constant parade back and forth to the Dr.'s. Which is why I want to have some knowledge before I go back and they just brush me off.

The lump in the throat feeling continued as a lone symptom for nearly a month. They only other thing that I noticed was a constant nausea. The constipation went away when I began smoking again and the Dr.'s attributed it to very slow peristaltic motion in the absence of stimulants. I tried everything during that time to little avail. Miralax, the Colonoscopy Combo, Senna. Nothing moved it along and it was miserable. During this time I felt so bound up that I swore my lower stomach was pressing up into my chest, though this was just a feeling.

In October the constipation slowly went away and so did the lump feeling. The week before Thanksgiving it all came back, but with a vengeance. I had a migraine that week that ended in me puking on an empty stomach for a couple of hours.

After that the lump in the throat feeling came back, but then it changed. Over the course of a week, it went from almost imperceptible, to feeling like I had a golf-ball in the base of my throat every time I ate. Then my I developed a constant sore, itchy throat. This persisted for a few days and then I began getting gas like I've never experienced in my life. I could literally eat a single chocolate chip and it felt like my insides were ballooning out. At first I could burp to release the pressure, then I noticed that the pressure was constant as well and burping only brought undigested food back into my mouth. The gas doesn't seem to be solid bubbles, instead a frothy, sour mixture that must get trapped easily. It was like this for a few days and then I noticed I had become hoarse and a new symptom appeared.

Now, almost every time I eat not only do I get extreme upper chest and throat pressure, I get what feels like a swelling of my esophagus from my Thyroid area down to mid-to-upper sternum. This only happens after I've eaten. Sometimes within minutes, sometimes within an hour. It always goes away eventually, but psychologically, it's distressing to say the least. It feels like I'm being strangled and at first though it was my windpipe, but now, a week or two into it all, I realize it's just my food tube.

Food feels like it gets stuck on the way down and goes down slowly. The past few days I've been getting pain between my shoulder blades and just in front of that big round vertebra at the base of my neck. If I eat Tums, the pain goes away. It's not a burning all the time, but sometimes.

I'm also now getting muscle spams near and around my esophagus, from Thyroid to mid-sternum. Again, only after I eat, but they last for hours.

I feel fine when I wake up. The only thing I notice is a slight sore throat and slight hoarseness. But all hell breaks loose once I eat. I'm becoming reluctant to do so. Oh and lastly, when I eat lunch at work I notice that I'm more than likely not going to get the full-effect of these symptoms. I surmise that it's because at work, I stand up a lot, giving my tummy more room. At night, after supper however, I go through an ordeal every night, but I notice that I'm sitting with my knees up closer to my chest. Maybe it's pushing stuff back up.

This is driving me insane. I hate going to the Dr.'s. But, it seems to be getting out of hand, if not necessarily worse.

What should I say to my Dr. and has anyone experienced anything similar so you might reassure me?

The following user gives a hug of support to bypeep:
mommatoe (01-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread