It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
sore throat

well, i've had gerd issues, etc for 6 MONTHS now, nearly daily. So my update is i went to the internist for a 2nd opinion (i've lost 25 lbs and have supposed throat ulcers although i did not have them for my endoscopy in July). The internist says it is gerd and ibs (he looked at my old bloodwork from Jan and endoscopy from July) and he doesn't believe i need anymore tests now (even though my throat burns on one side every minute of the day and i can see a sore) and wants me to start sulcraflate and bentyl for an antispasmodic. He had his nurse call me a week ago to start this new med set. He also believes i need an antidepressant for my stomach even though mentally i feel in TIP TOP-i have suffered from anxiety issues for years and it was the worst the past two years i decided to try meds for it- shape and both dr's agree that weaning off of xanax is what has triggered this esophagitis/digestive storm So, i told him i am hesitant to go that route as i was JUST on th antidepressant route and it wreaked havoc on my system so it seems like a quick fix for THEM to throw me back on one to quiet my stomach?

I have not started the new meds b/c i was on bentyl in Jan for when i did have ibs systems and although helpful for my intestines, it made me very very dizzy and out of it. I have looked up the carafate (sulcraflate) and it has alot of aluminum in it and if i have to take it i will but so far i haven't had a dr actually see an ulcer yet, just lots of irritation and they suspect there are ulcers possibly now and i am on so many meds that i do not know how to fit this med in 4 x a day w/out eating/other meds for 2 hours before and after the dr said. So i remain on aloe vera juice as some kind of protection. I upped my prilosec to 40 mg last month after i became really sick and could hardly eat and i now can eat more but am still getting the reflux, as well as super sore left throat and left ear ALL the time. So, i am going to try nexium, again, in the next few days. I guess i have been somewhat on hold with the holidays and for me, personally, trying new meds is no walk in the park, its almost always difficult.

I am trying my best but my sister in law made me sad last night b/c she was talking about her dad w/ throat cancer (he was a heavy smoker for 40 years) and said its not good i have all that inflammation, thats how people get cancer, well, I KNOW that and i have religiously been doing all i can (the past month i've been very careful about all these drugs the drs keep throwing at me though) but it takes awhile to figure it out and its really hard in people like me whom meds only work somewhat. She made me feel so sad, like i don't even have a chance at survival.

I wish i had better news and could come here and say, yeah, all better, but i don't right now....on the plus side, i am able to eat soemwhat small and regular meals again...i have been feeling like i'm going to survive this (until last night) and acupuncture and herbs have helped tremendously with my anxiety and gallbladder pain.. on the negative side i have lots of left side throat inflammation, veiny and 2 white/yellow spots .....anyone else whom lives with this throat inflammation on a daily basis? not just here and there, everyday.

Happy holidays all you gerd and lpr sufferers, thanks for letting me vent again...boy do i loathe this stuff and hope they find out more about it (the internist even admitted they really don't know alot about gerd and ibs and more research needs to be done).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: sore throat

marigold....Your sis-in-law should be ashamed of the comments she makes to someone who is scared to death of what she's got. You don't need to hear that. You have an entirely different story. I think you'll heal better once you are on nexium. But give it time. My throat was fire red for 5 month and then it went away with 2X nexium per day.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
(male)

mucous HB User

Marigold, I agree with Painter, try and relax about it, that story has nothing to do with yours. Easier said than done and I need to take a good dose of my own medicine (as I sit here with a burning throat :-( )

Painter, your story gives me hope, I have been cursed by the damn disease for 3 months now, been on PPI's since Sept 11th. Seem to have good weeks/days and bad weeks/days. Your relatively long recovery period gives me hope, especially compared to those whose symptoms disappear after 2 days of PPIs :-)

Wishing you both a merry christmas and a HEALTHY and wealthy 2010.

Kind regards

Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

thank you guys soooo soo much for your comments, you give me hope painter. I am fairly good at reminding myself that i most likely won't get cancer or a deadly infection but its still hard, especially when someone, whom apparently (and luckily) hasn't had to deal with a chronic illness, says something like that. I think Monday i'm going to try the nexium, thats my plan. This is a rough condition and i wish there was an easy solution for each of us but that doesn't seem to be the case...thank goodness we have this board where we can compare what works and what doesn't.

Hope you guys have a good evening and thanks for making me feel better, it gets to you being in pain so much and having to try to ignore it....i really appreciate your support tonight.

ps. did your lymph nodes on the sides of your thoat ever feel swollen for a few weeks at a time? i really don't want to be on an antibiotic again as that made the gerd worse...just wondering.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

painter207 HB User

I see you're on line Marigold.... I would have gone crazy with worry myself but I was lucky enough to personally know three people that had the very same throat burning and they kept reasuring me that it would get better with time because there's did, Every once in a while I'd call or e-mail them with the same questions on how long does this take??? And they all said anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks and finally at 16 weeks my ENT increased the dosage and that did it. Now a couple said they had to increase to 2 a day as well and one just kept taking the 1 pill a day and in 6 month his went away. I'm so glad I can give you this hope. It is the strangest disease I've ever come across. I think a lot was stress from breast cancer, but now I can eat and drink anything without a oroblem. But if I see a little incling of something not feeling right I'm getting back on the Nesium.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by painter207; 12-26-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I'm editing this to add I also lost 27 # in a month when it was real bad.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Hey painter I'm so glad to hear that your doing well!! So you are eating anything now!! How long before you felt better!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
(female)

painter207 HB User

I am doing much better. One time I ate a very deep fried fish sandwich from 'Culverts" and a couple of hours I burped and it came up on me with a burning in my throat like I never had before. It took a couple of hours for the burn to subside.
I went off Nexium because I felt better and I got this rash on my back. So after going off, It went away so I would say I had a reaction to the drug.
It took 5 month for sure from the onset in the throat to being gone.
Good luck. I eat mostly everything but try to stay away from deep fried, which I normaly did any way.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
(female)

abbydabbydew HB User

I also will encourage you to remain hopeful. I'm 3-1/2 months into treatment for LPR and feeling NEARLY back to "normal," although I accept that I might have a new "normal" now where I will not be able to return to my heavy tea habit. I've also quit eating after dinnertime and am going to try to make this change a permanent one. I definitely feel better when I do not eat at night and I also think it will help me to shed a few more pounds over the long-term. The past few days I have started reducing my PPI dosage to see what happens. I will keep you updated on how much success I have with this. Best of luck to all of you!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
(female)

Bentleys HB User

do you still take the nexium? Thanks so much for helping me through this sorry if I say the same thing over and over but Its so over whelming!!! I just want to feel better!!! So i just keep taking my meds and eating but being careful!!! But stiil enjoying life!!! and enjoying foods!!! But watching it!! I defentiley do not need to lose any weight!! Abby good luck with your ppi switching and thanks for being so sweet!!!

Closed Thread