It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #16
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User
Re: EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

I don't know exactly how to explain my feelings when I stopped the PPI. It was kind of a loose feeling, like I could go either way...reflux or no reflux. My doctor said to just quit...and when I asked him what next, he said "No more reflux". I believe we have the same surgeon. Now, do you also have a gastro guy? I don't know of a good one in the area. If you do, I'd appreciate the name. I will have to say that as the days go by, I'm feeling less like I could have reflux. The first night I had lasagna it ripped me up inside, just like it used to, but the second and third night (I made a huge pan of it) it didn't really bother me. My first cosmo killed me...I'm afraid to try another..maybe that's a good thing. I really don't know what to expect in the future. I do know that the procedure wasn't the complete answer I thought it would be. I guess it's fine if you live on bland dairy products, but maybe I would have felt fine even without the procedure eating that way.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
(female)

tex2007 HB User

The absolutely WORST thing about having the Nissen procedure is coming down
with a stomach virus and being totally unable to vomit. This has happened
to me twice since my procedure....never want to it happen again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
(female)

mmhisley HB User

TO: Hawkins6 ~ Yes, I believe we both had Dr. Bada for our EsophyX TIF surgeon. In response to your question regarding a gastro doctor...while I do not have one, I have a friend who sees a gastro doctor she described as "outstanding." I will ask for the name and will pass it on to you. Will you see a gastro doctor for any possible follow-up GERD/acid reflux issues? It has been a couple of weeks since your last post...how are you doing now? As for me, when I cut back on my PPIs, I immediately got a sore throat from acid reflux. Dr. Bada said to go back on the Nexium for two weeks. That was a week ago and my throat is still sore. So, I don't know what is going on with me. I also feel tired since my TIF. Did it take awhile for you to recover your energy level?

Thanks for any input from Hawkins6...or from anyone else. Best wishes.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
(male)

indycar HB User

Ok, I'll weigh in here. I had my TIF done in Arkansas, close to where I live, on December 4th 2009. I just got off my diet regiment and am back on normal foods. The first 2 weeks after surgery I thought "gosh, I'm cured". No reflux, back on a flat bed, and was even having coffee in the mornings. About 2 weeks ago, as I started with normal foods, I began to get some of the reflux symptoms again. A tickle in the throat, a bit hoarse upon waking, etc. I have taken PPI probably 5 or 6 times in the past 2 weeks. I will probably stay away from tomatoe products, spicy foods, alcohol, etc for a few more weeks to see how things go. I am also going to resume cycling which I have been off of since November. I'm 49 years old and ready to be done with this. I do feel better but just hope that things don't reverse back on me. By the way,I just got my bill. It was a whopping $18,000!!! I noticed one of the other posts said that theirs was only about $6,000 or so. Anyone else had a total bill sent to them yet? I had blue cross and I am certain they will deny it. I think this was the 2nd one that my doctor had performed. I am not sure he had all the experience that I needed to get it right the first time. I am certain I was part of his learning curve. Anyone out there to compare my surgery bill with?? Anyone out there with more than 2 months of recovery?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
(female)

mmhisley HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the EsophyX TIF. Hope that things continue to go well for you. You had your procedure about one month before I did. I have not received my bill yet. Did your doctor tell you to continue taking your prescription (PPI) for a week or two following your suregery and then taper off of it? Did you have any reflux problems when you went off of your prescription?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
(female)

First of all...yes my insurance company got the final bill (BC/BS ppo) and paid what they had contracted for that service, which was substantially lower than they were billed. It was still incredibly high I thought...like probably around $15,000 for hospital, doctor etc. If you get stuck paying out of pocket, be sure to negotiable a fair price...not sure what that would be. I had my TIF on Dec 4th. After several attempts to go off the PPIs, I think I'm finally able to do that, for the most part. Last week, after eating everything I wanted, good and bad, I only needed to take one pill. I am trying to ward off taking the PPIs by chewing Tums, whyich seems to work some. I haven't eaten tomato sauce or chicken wings or drank wine and probably won't for a while. But I am back on decaf coffee...actually I never went off it, just changed from regular to decaf after the TIF (they gave it to me in the hospital so I figured why not?). I guess it takes awhile longer, even after the restricted diet, for the TIF to make a difference.
I will follow up with a gastro guy rather than my surgeon, as I don't know what else the surgeon could or would do for me. Any references will be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
(female)

mmhisley HB User

TO KAWKINS6 OR ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED: I have a friend who highly recommends two "outstanding" gastroenterologists. They are brothers in practice together in Venice, FL. Their names are Dr. Tariq Khan and Dr. Jaffer Khan with an office at 8421 Pointe Loop Drive, Venice, FL. The phone number is 941-412-9787. While I have not personally seen either of these doctors yet, my friend says they are "the best"...knowledgeable, experienced, pleasant, professional and caring. Also, Hawkins6, you mentioned "several attempts to go off the PPIs..." That is what I'm dealing with now. What worked for you? Gradually reducing your dosage? Taking a PPI every other day? Quitting cold turkey and toughing it out? I see Dr. Bada (my surgeon) tomorrow and will get his advice, but I'm most interested in what worked for you - or anyone else who has been through this - to get off of the PPIs?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
(male)

indycar HB User

My doc said to eliminate PPI's one week after surgery. That worked out fine for several weeks and now I am back on them. I will hopefully get things normalized and then go off them again. I am not sure how long it takes to get the full effect of the TIF procedure. Everything I have read about long term studies says the 80% of folks get off their PPI's permanently. I am hopeful I am not in the dreaded 20%! Let's keep this post going so we can alll compare our results.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
(female)

I just quit taking the PPIs and watched what I ate. If I felt indigestion, I took the pills again. Having felt pretty good for a week, I was feeling pretty smug. Last night I went to a superbowl party and apparently had too much to eat and drink, because I was sicker than ...last night. I woke up because I had burning crap coming up my throat. I kept feeling burning coming up my throat, but couldn't vomit. Has anyone experienced that? I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight because I might have a repeat of last night.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #25
(male)

indycar HB User

I had the burning feeling 3 nights ago too (not as bad as you had it but it did wake me up) and decided to go back to the guest bedroom where I have the bed tilted about 9 inches at the headboard. I hate sleeping away from my wife but at least I'm not hoarse when I wake up. I also went back on Prevecid for a few days to see if I can get the scratch out of my vocal choards. I thought the TIF would be the end-all to these problems and maybe with time it will get better, but for now I am pretty close to where I was prior to the procedure.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #26
(female)

whitewrightinc HB User

Yesterday I had a jalapeño double meat cheese burger and had no indigestion. I had my Esophyx Tif on Dec 4th and was not happy till now. I guess healing just takes time. I am still on PPI's but only one a day. My chest pains are few and far between. Sometimes I can feel a tightness in my chest but not like I did before. I burp a lot but my doctor told me that people with gerd get use to swallowing air and the burping would get better. have carbonation Can anyone that has had the surgery have carbonation yet? Sure miss it!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #27
(female)

tex2007 HB User

My old "normal" was much worse than the new (post fundoplication 5ys. ago)
"normal". I still take PPI's twice a day, my bed isn't elevated, my asthma is under
control, I eat /drink pretty much anything I want to. It isn't perfect but it's
'doable'. My GI is Markus Goldschmeidt of Dallas, Tx. He's excellent and works by
referral only.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
(female)

tex2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewrightinc View Post
Yesterday I had a jalapeño double meat cheese burger and had no indigestion. I had my Esophyx Tif on Dec 4th and was not happy till now. I guess healing just takes time. I am still on PPI's but only one a day. My chest pains are few and far between. Sometimes I can feel a tightness in my chest but not like I did before. I burp a lot but my doctor told me that people with gerd get use to swallowing air and the burping would get better. have carbonation Can anyone that has had the surgery have carbonation yet? Sure miss it!
Yes, I now enjoy carbonated beverages; the only one I cannot (and really miss) is champagne on New Years eve. I take PPI's twice a day.
It took about a year before I could handle Dr. Pepper. Congrats on the jalapeno burger; I'm not sure I'd try that!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
(female)

mmhisley HB User

TO Whitewrightinc ~ A jalapeno cheese burger! You give me inspiration. (I am just 5 weeks beyond my EspohyX TIF procedure, still on soft foods and am still on my Nexium. I had acid reflux as soon as I started to go off of it.) You mentioned you take one PPI a day. Is that a signifigant descrease from what you took before your TIF? It is very encouraging for me to hear that you are better the longer it goes after your surgery. I've been fairly discouraged since my EsophyX TIF, thinking that it really has not helped at all.

To Hawkins6: Sounds like you had a miserable night following the Super Bowl party. How are you doing now?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #30
(female)

mmhisley HB User

Dear drgerd: Six weeks following my EsophyX TIF, I was still on Nexium (I had trouble getting off of it at the two week point), I was just about to go off of soft food, when I had several days with a terrible burning in my stomach. I ended up in the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital. An ultrasound showed no gall bladder trouble. A scope exam showed lots of bile in my stomach. The diagnosis was a stomach inflammation, gastritis. In addition to continuing the Nexium, I was given two medications to take upon my discharge: 1) cholestyramine and 2) metocolopramide (which I only took for a couple of days because of my concern regarding the side effect of tardive dyskinesia). To follow-up, I saw a gastroenterologist two days ago. He advised me to stop all the other prescriptions, and prescribed carafate (2 tsp four times a day). He said if I didn't feel better in two days, to start taking the Nexium again. This is my third day off of Nexium. At times, I continue to have some burning in my stomach (not nearly as bad as when I was admitted to the hospital), also some lack of appetite and occasional light nausea. I hate to go back on the Nexium...but your advice get off the Nexium gradually does make sense. Do you have any thoughts or advice regarding my situation? It is kind of you to take your time to post here and offer your professional input. Best wishes to you.

Closed Thread