It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
(male)

Browin HB User
Chia Seeds for Acid Reflux?

I've been seeing people online report that you can consume chia seeds to help with acid reflux. Apparently they claim it absorbs liquid, so the idea would be it would absorb your excess stomach acid, thus helping to control acid reflux.

Does anyone know anything about this? Does it work?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
(male)

Browin HB User
Re: Chia Seeds for Acid Reflux?

I've been taking Chia seeds for a week now and it seems to be working. I went down from taking one 40mg Protonix to one 15mg Prevacid while doing this and my acid reflux is doing better. I might go off PPIs completely soon, so I'll keep you all updated.

I'd appreciate if others looked into this or tried it themselves. The Chia seeds absorb liquid, so the theory is they reduce your stomach acid.

To prepare the seeds you mix 1/4 a cup of the seeds with 1.5 cups water. You allow the seeds to sit in your fridge like an hour or so and take a spoon full. It has this slime/gel consistency that doesn't have much taste, and is easier to swallow than dry seeds. I take the seeds when I wake up, after major meals, and before I go to bed. Generally don't take too much or you'll absorb too much acid. If I feel acid starting to come up, I take the seeds and it seems to knocks out the fire.

I'm using the white Chia seeds you can find in pretty much any vitamin store. They are dirt cheap, and hopefully a cheap alternative to PPIs and H2 Blockers.

Hope this information helps!

Last edited by Browin; 02-03-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread