It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User
Is this acid reflux?

Hello...my previous posts on this site have been on the spinal issues and fibromylagia threads.

I developed a cough this fall that has continued to plague me.

This cough almost chokes me. I have not had any kind of infections, and the cough is followed by a few sneezes! I do feel like I have increased mucous, and clearing my throat alot.

I've had occasional heartburn, and lately, I've experienced some incredible burning in my stomach.

A few years ago, my family doctor said I was having reflux when I described to her this cough that would wake me up choking. My symptoms went away on their own.

My current family doctor (a different one because we moved) did an upper GI x-ray and couldn't find anything. He indicated that if my symptoms persisted, he would scope me. I'm NOT at all interested or looking forward to that!

I have been taking some generic Prilosec, and it seems to help a bit. It's been about 10 days.

I do have a bit of a problem swallowing, and I can't help but think that it's due to my degenerative cervical issues. I already have two disks fused, and from the last x-ray, it looks like the one below my fusion is beginning to give up on me, too.

I'm interested in knowing what you all think.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
(female)

mommy2leena HB User
Re: Is this acid reflux?

Believe it or not 90% of americans have acid reflux and dont know it. Your case sounds a bit more serious. Where it does sound like reflux, I dont think thats all tho. But if it is only reflux, my question to you is the night you woke up coughing and choking, did you eat right before you went to bed??? My daughter has reflux and she has to sit up for 30 minutes after she eats so it doesnt come back up and it has time to digest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
(female)

I don't remember if I ate right before bed or not. But, I have heard that it's not good to eat then go lay down, so I try not to do that.

I forgot to mention that I have ben burping quite a bit as well.

I'm curious...when you say that you think there might be more to it, what other things do you think might be involved??

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

equalizerjane HB User

your symptoms sound just like my two sons that both have acid reflux ......... try buying some zantac....... you can get that off the shelf. also try to cut grease as much as you can out of your diet also high dairy foods and anything with carbination. trust me it will help if you do have acid reflux.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

i think it sounds familiar like acid reflux, i occasionally get the coughing but can relate to the incredible burning stomach and i get other symptoms too, acid reflux is all over the board. It affects my ears, eyes, throat, nose, ugh...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The main causes of a chronic dry cough are: allergies, asthma, PND and acid reflux. I developed severe acid reflux years ago. It went undiagnosed for a while because my symptom was a constant chronic cough. Turns out the acid was coming up and irritating my throat and also irritating my lungs. The cough was from throat irritation and from asthma triggered by the acid. Acid reflux without heartburn is often called "silent" reflux. When the throat is involved it is often a form called LPR. There is a lot of info on this board about that. Belching is also a symptom of reflux as well. I can say that the reflux and coughing was really affecting my quality of life.

I have had two Endoscopies. Despite confirmation of severe reflux, both came back just fine. It took a Modified Barium Swallow/Esophagram to show the acid coming up to my lungs. I also had reflux confirmation through a 24 hr pH test and Manometry. Reflux does not show up on x-rays.

In addition to medication, other things you should be doing: modifying your diet to avoid high fat or greasy foods, avoid citrus and other acid based foods like tomatoes and tomato products, avoid spicy foods, avoid caffeine, carbonation, mint, nocotine and alcohol. While it isn't on "official" lists, I found going dairy free helped me as well. Don't eat 3 hours before bed. Sleep on a 6 inch incline. The best is to prop your headboard on some bricks. Never use pillows for propping. Sleep on your left side. Wear loose waistbands. Exercise and if overweight, lose weight (easier said than done).

Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
(female)

I appreciate all the responses, and good information. I can see some changes on the horizon, in order to be comfortable. Giving up dairy will be the hardest, and losing some weight, will be the hardest! I believe that losing some weight would also help my fibro.

Guess I need to hit a weight loss thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
(male)

dunderwo HB User

How does this affect your eyes?

Closed Thread