It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

Natty46 HB User
Talking Constant burping - what helps me!!

For anyone suffering from Acid Reflux, Candidiasis, Diverticulitis, Bloating, Haemorrhoids, Constipation, Dyspepsia or Hiatus Hernia I would recommend 'FOOD COMBINING' which is basically not combining concentrated proteins with concentrated starches at the same meal (in fact keep them separate for 3 to 4 hours). Eat fruits at the beginning of a meal or between meals, but not with your meal nor as a desert. Foods should be eaten this way because as proteins arrive in the stomach, acids are produced to begin the proces of protein digestion. But starches don't like to be mixed with acid. Their digestion is triggered by the enzymes from saliva, which provides alkaline conditions, not acid ones. Starch digestion will come to a complete stop if there is acid in the stomach. This is not a problem for strong healthy people, but if your system is struggling the results can be very different.

Proteins take longer to digest than Starches, Starches take longer than Veg, Veg take longer than fruit. Fats take the longest!! So if you have digestive problems mixing these foods is not good.

I can recommend 2 books that have really helped me, 'Good Gut Healing' by Kathryn Marsden and 'Food Combining for Health' by Doris Grant.

You may have to change the way you eat, and it may not be instant, but it may well be worth a go, it's working for me, after 2 years of intermittent and then chronic burping. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Natty46 For This Useful Post:
frigdey (02-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
(female)

Chocolicious HB User
Re: Constant burping - what helps me!!

Thanks so much for this. I have had chronic belching for a few years now. And I dont know what triggers it off. Once it starts I can have it for several hours at a time and it's not very ladylike! A doctor told me years ago that I was swallowing too much air when I was eating but I just don't believe it.

I have just had a bowel resection and have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. I can't help but think all this is linked.My doc has today prescribed me 'Omeprazole' which I am hoping will help, and I have also been told peppermint is good. I'm willing to give anything a go to try to resolve this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Anyway I have ordered the books you have suggested.

Last edited by Chocolicious; 02-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
(female)

Natty46 HB User

Hope you are getting some relief now. I am also on Omeprazole, and have been for 2 weeks and with this and the food combining, smaller meals, more chewing, no food within 3 hours of bed, I am having more better days and nights. I am due to have a Gastroscopy sometime soon, so will see if anything turns up there and I have looked into a food sensitivity test called 'The York Test' (and am waiting on results). This is the only food/Allergy sensitivity testing recommended by Allergy UK. I also have IBS and Arthritus and like you, I believe that most of your health issues are connected.

I think whatever the digestive problem, the burping is obviously a symptom of it. I have researched so much about this and am willing to try anything non-invasive to improve my health.

Another thing I am trying is 'Alkazone' ph drops to make your drinking water more alkaline. I understand that it is regulation that drinking water be between ph6 to ph6.5 which is slightly acidic, so it makes sense that the drops will help if acid is a problem and you drink lots of water. You just put in 3 to 4 drops in a large glass of water, (stir it), so although they appear expensive the bottle will last for ages and hopfully improve your health. It's always worth a Google!!

Another tip, which really helps me, and may be obvious to others, but it wasn't for me, dur! Is NOT BENDING, or doing abdominal exercise for atleast 1/2 hour to 40 mins after eating, try to sit and relax after food. I used to eat then rush around to take the dogs out etc. I try to squat down rather than bend if I need to.

Another tip, which again really helps me, is chewing gum. It helps after meals (You mentioned about the Dr. saying you are taking in too much air when you eat ... I don't think so ... I'm sure you haven't changed the way you take in air over the years, it's much more likely to be food intolerances, as our bodies get overloaded!!) I'm always reminded by a friend, they are called GP's for a reason!! When i've discussed food combining with my GP she looks at me a little strange - it's fine - they don't have time to do the research that i've done.

I also get MOTION burps whenever i'm travelling, again, the chewing gum really helps here. The tarter the better, you need to get your saliva going (alkaline), it neutralises the acid and helps digest the starches/carbs. I would avoid, for now, peppermint or spearmint because although peppermint helps some folk, not all can tolerate it. It may be because it is more of a 'cleanser' than a 'calmer' on the stomach. I have been given peppermint tablets in the past, but i'm not sure they helped. You do need to drink a full glass of water with any tablets

I would cut out the coffee, if you haven't already, (but if you drink coffee, come of it slowly or you will get massive headaches).

No Alcohol (if you can - or see it as a treat - it's very acidic). I just have a glass of red (now things are settling) at the weekends then 2 large glasses of water or I feel 'odd' in the night - i think it's the Omoprazone, as they seem to make my mouth incredibly dry over night!!

Look up Acid and Alkaline Foods on the web, you can get charts, you'd be surprised at how much of what we eat is Acid and how little is Alkaline and our body should be between 75 to 80% Alkaline and the rest Acid Foods!!

Good Luck with it all. Glad to help.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

Chocolicious HB User

Hi, can you tell me more about the tests you are having? It sounds like something I might try. Also with the 'omeprazole'; are you taking one tablet daily? My gp suggested I take one tablet a day for five days and then only take one when needed. Just wondering what dose you were taking if you don't mind me asking. So I guess the belching has something to do with the acid in the stomach? Sorry for being so naive. Thanks for all your help, I have learnt so much from you already! I have decided to try and sort this out as it gets me down.

Thanks for your help once again. here's hoping I will be able to get some answers. Would you mind letting me know how you get on?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
(female)

latishav HB User

Wow after over a year of searching my symptoms and hearing a lot of nothing from my doctors I am hopeful to read your comments.

I have many symptoms and Chronic burping has recently taken trumph over the others.

I would like to ask you all if you have had many other symptoms on top of burping, I have severe fatigue, muscle pains, throw up large amounts of saliva like liquid when I burp, severe heartburn when I burp and a few other symptoms.

I have switched from doctors to doctors some who wont listen others who just insist that im swallowing too much air. My current doctor told me not to chew gum and for the last 6 months I have not. The second I read that gum helps i started chewing and noticed a change.

So really my question is, do any of you have any of these other symptoms to the point it is really affecting your life as I do? I am interested to know if I have only found the answer to one of my symptoms or if by doing as you all suggest I will fix them all.

Thank you

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
(female)

Natty46 HB User

So sorry not replied sooner - i didnt know anyone had left a message. My scan and gastroscopy turned up nothing. I had a York Test which showed I had Food Intolerances, including Yeast, Milk, Egg White as the main 3. When speaking to a nutritionalist from the York Site, she said that burping on it's own is usually Low Stomach Acid and that there was a simple home test to check for this. She suggested that in the morning on an empty stomach I mix 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda with 8oz water, stir and drink - a person without problems will normally start burping within 2 minutes - if you have low stomach acid then YOU WON'T BURP - I didnt. It is all related and I was told that I have a very weak digestive system. I was recommended to take a digestive enzyme with my meals (these will help with high or low stomach acid), I was recommended Similase (found them on the internet), I was also told to take HCI and Pepsin to help me digest Iron etc, if you have a poor digestion then you dont absorb Iron etc and you need this to help you digest - so your stomach is working in circles and getting no where. But only take these for a month or two or they may start things up again!!

I still have bad days, but good days too. For me I seem to have a real problem digesting fats, this sets me of almost immediately - so even though ive switched to Dark Chocolate as my fix - as milk chocolate is out as I have an intolerance to milk, I can't even eat that because of the fat content It is a real trial and error game.

I googled Low Stomach Acid and found < edited > that with this type of problem you may want to lay off raw vegetables and will do better with soups and stews.

I would recommend a York Test as if you have food intolerance and don't know then it can lead to further digestive problems! This is the only food intolerance test that I would recommend - as a lot of them arent accurate and it is the only one recommended by Allergy UK. The initial outlay is usually £9.99 for a positive or negative result - the next outlay is 'ouch' if the result is positive that you have one or more food intolerance but if it means getting to the bottom of your problem then it's probably worth it - especially if you can't get anywhere with your doctor - My doctor never mentioned low stomach acid and it is so simple to test for and a common condition especially as we get into our 40's!!! Thinks that's all I can say for now about it. The OMOPRAZONE didnt work for me but they are usually for stomach ulcers or similar and as i didnt have anything like that - i guess that's why they werent working. Good Luck and always feel free to ask anything - i will check back more regular now. xx

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-18-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
(female)

Natty46 HB User

Have you had a test to see if you have any food intolerances - it is likely that all the symptoms are connected and if you have had all the usual scans, gastroscopy etc and they are come up with nothing then I would definatley go for a York Test. For me I have to say that mine is just the burping, and it can be all day all night and all day again, if I dont manage closely what i eat. I would recommend relaxing 15 mins before eating, 30 mins after, no bending. There could be something in the taking air in as well but im sure there's much more to it than that. I am aware to keep my breathing calm when eating and try not to talk as I will try and be open minded to everything. But I think it is likely to be food related more than anything else. I cant seem to digest fat any more and food combing helps - keeping starches and proteins separate at meals and fruit! It is really common to have a yeast intolerance and yeast is in so many things besides breads, oxo, gravy granules, tinned soups etc. Hope this helps Hun. Definately recommend a digestive enzyme with meals and slippery elm bark is recommended time and time again in reading ive done. So it might be worth a try. Hang in there, we'll get there. x

Closed Thread