It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
(female)

Bentleys HB User
should I change from taking prilosec?

Does anyone taking nexium for lpr have good results? I have been having this problem with something stuck in my throat and they think it could be lpr!! It does not matter what I eat it seems to be always there!! I was a lite smoker but have quit!! once you are on nexium were you able to eat what u want??? They say no caffine does that mean you can drink coffee decaf and soda with no caffine? I have been taking prilosec for a week 2x a day seems to be helping some!! But just got a precp for nexium and help that would be great

Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

abbydabbydew HB User
Re: Nexium question!

If the Prilosec seems to be helping some, why don't you give it more time instead of switching to Nexium now? My ENT told me to give the Prilosec a good month before deciding it wasn't working. I'm now on month #4 and it's working just fine. I'm glad I didn't switch because the Prilosec generic (omeprazole) is the cheapest PPI on the market and study after study shows that just about all the PPIs are equally effective (assuming you react to them all equally I suppose).

As to your other question of whether you can eat whatever you want on the Nexium (or any other PPI that is "working" for that matter), sure, you can probably eat whatever you want if you don't mind being dependent on pills to obliterate your stomach acid for the rest of your life. In the meantime, it's probably a good idea to try to stick to some of the dietary recommendations. There's always a chance you can get off the PPI altogether and back to just an occasional H2 blocker or antacid as needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Yeah I will watch the caffine and chocolate those things i heard were the biggest things?! Thank you so much for replying to my post I'm new here!!! Do you know anything about decaf coffee if that is ok and non caffine sodas? I'm not a huge soda or coffee drinker maybe a 1/2 cup a day and soda maybe 2 a week I dont really care about caffine but would like the taste of coffee once in a while!!! Also can your symptoms with lpr come and go!! My biggest problem is the feeling of something stuck in my throat!!! Is that a normal symptom with lpr?
How long have you been dealing with this? and how long have you been on ppi thanks again for being so helpful!!

Last edited by Bentleys; 02-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

You should avoid the carbonation as well as the caffeine.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Mountain reader

what do you think about decaf coffee?

Last edited by Bentleys; 02-04-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added a name

Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
(female)

Bentleys HB User
Re: should I change from taking prilosec?

Sorry if I'm posting wrong!! If anyone know how long it take for nexium to work it would be greatly apperciated!! Do you know if decaf coffee is ok!!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

abbydabbydew HB User

I'm currently not having trouble with decaf coffee and tea, but that doesn't mean you won't. (Decafs do have a bit of caffeine, but it's quite a small amount.) Just about everyone around here concurs that GERD and LPR tend to be highly individual experiences. Try a cup of decaf coffee and see what happens. It'll probably be fine. I also still enjoy chocolate now and then - won't give that up, nope, just won't do it - and notice absolutely no ill effects from that either. Life is good! The swallowing difficulty took a couple of months to go away with me. Now, 4 months after starting the PPI, my throat and upper esophagus pain is all but gone. I still have a bit of pressure and pain near the LES. The GI doc wants me to stay on the omeprazole for the next year. Not sure I want to do that, but we'll see.

As for how long the PPIs take to work, some people report that they feel better within just a few days. With others (like me) it takes longer to notice significant improvement. It was a month before I was convinced the omeprazole was helping, but every week since I have felt better and better.

Good luck...

Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My GI doc advised me not to drink any tea at all. He seems to think there is a component of the tea itself, not just the caffeine, that "loosens" the LES.

Personally, when my reflux is "flared" up, I totally avoid it. When I'm doing OK, I cheat and have a glass of iced decaf occassionally. I don't make a habit of it though. Mostly, I live on water and soy or almond milk with occassional white cranberry or grape juice. Don't do the juices much because they are heavy on the sugars.

It is a challenge for me because my reflux really is "silent". Makes it hard to truly tell when I'm refluxing after eating/drinking something I shouldn't. I absolutely know if I have a coughing fit, but I've found through my pH testing that I reflux a lot when I'm even feeling OK.

I've been on PPI's since about 2002 or 2003, not sure which. Been on twice per day about 5 years. For me, it appears to be a lifelong thing, unfortunately. I worry about the long-term effects, but worry more about not being able to breathe which is what happens when the acid irritates my lungs.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Thanks so much for talking me through this!! I don't know what triggers mine either it seems like when it is there it is there!! I havent had coffee or soda for over a week!!I was a smoker not heavy but it is a bad thing!!! I have quit now for about 3 weeks!! doing well!! I think that may be more of the problem is stemming from rather than food !! I do notice that my throat feel warm not burning but warm!!! The chocolate is a hard thing taste sooo good but havent had that in 2 weeks!!BOOO I have heard that people who smoke and have reflux when they quit smoking and take the ppi it will get better!!! do you know anything about that!!?? Once you got it under control are your days better!!!Hope you continue to do well and thanks for all your help!! Hey also I was switched to nexium on prilosec for 1 week will it take as long for the nexium to kick in or will it have helped that i was on the prilosec?? Take care I'll keep you posted!!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Ok this is what I think is so weird today the feeling of something stuck in my throat is not there!! But my throat is sore on that side where I usually feel the feeling of something being stuck!! I'm wondering it the meds are working and taking the feeling of something being stuck away and now it is just sore!!?? Really watching what I'm eating and it does not seem to matter what I eat!! So I wonder if the meds are helping and this is just it starting to heal?? Anyone ever experience it or something like this !!??

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
(female)

abbydabbydew HB User

Well, dang, mountainreader, now you've scared me off of tea. Good heavens, the only thing worse than giving up tea altogether would be giving up the chocolate! Nooooooooooo!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Sorry Abby, not my doing. Between my acid reflux and IBS (developed as a result of 2 weeks on Nexium), I know everything I'm not supposed to eat, but noone will tell me what I can eat. Really hard to get a balanced diet in.

I totally crave something other than water and soy/almond milk. I use decaf as a "cheat" occassionally...maybe twice per month. I have some great flavored tea I love. Problem is, I can't just drink one glass. Still looking for that magic think I can drink to satisify my cravings.

I went to my Pulmonologist last week, he grilled me on my diet. Asked about everything we have talked about on these boards. Seems my reflux may be back, even after the fundoplication a year ago. Worst part is that I'm still on Kapidex, sleeping on the incline, watching my diet, etc... Not sure what treatments are left.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
(female)

pillow HB User

I tried so many expensive things/prescriptions..and u know what...gavison works the best!!!!!! Good luck..strongly recommend!!! A person i knew was gonnna have surgery!! Until he tried it!!! Mt dew /very bad..and acid drinks..

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
(female)

Bentleys HB User

Do you take that with your ppi? Itit so weird my symptoms come and go!! This morning it was good the feeling of something stuck in my throat was gone now it is back!!!I dont get it? It does not seem to matter what I eat I cant figure out what is causing it!!! It was so weird i had my tonsills out in the end of sep and it was gone for 3 months on dec 23 it started again!!! I had not changed my eating habits at all in those 3 months had been eating the same as before surgery for my tonsills!! Why would it come and go!!! I have been on nexium for almost a week the feeling of something stuck in my throat is always on my left side!!! It does seem smaller then before but still is there!!! anyone please help!! thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

i can completely relate, i eat something one day and its fine and then bothers it the next, this is soooo entirely frustrating, especially since i just am not responding well to ppi's. I wish i knew what to tell you or even myself but know you are not alone, i woke up with this one day last June and its never gone away. I am on the strictest diet and its still just doesn't seem to matter a ton.

Mountain reader, i am terribly sorry for your troubles lately. I do hope this passes soon for you. I know exactly what you mean that the drs will tell you everything you can't eat, but then what does that leave? lol......i struggle to get adequate nutrition everyday now, lots of effort and fresh foods, but i have this silent reflux and its hard to know when its flaring up/not as my esophagus is always, always sore and achy.

I wish the dr's realized how debilitating this is, i wish there was more research on this awful disease.

Closed Thread