It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User
Getting off Nexium w/help of Align?

I started taking Align probiotic, and noticed the burning in my stomach was much less, and I seemed to have less reflux. Even though I was on 1 Nexium a day, sometimes I had breakthrough reflux.
I started feeling so much better, I have been taking 1 Align in the am, every other day to start, instead of a Nexium. And 1 Align at night, to help the reflux while I'm laying down.
I have tried over the past 6 years, to get off Nexium and could never succeed.
But this seems to be working, I am not sure why.
Maybe the Align, helps me digest my food quicker?!

My GERD/LPR symptoms are, a very sore red throat, and burning sensation in my stomach.

Any ideas?! I hope this continues to work, I would LOVE to stop taking Nexium, for good!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

tex2007 HB User
Re: Getting off Nexium w/help of Align?

Forgive my ignorance but,
what is Align?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

It's a probiotic.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User

Its still really helping me, I have been taking two a day, and I have no sore throat
And I am down to a Nexium every other day, I think I can get down to NO Nexium.
I really have no idea, anyone know why, this might be working???

Old 02-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

How is it going? I bought some after I read your post and have been taking one daily. I don't know if it helps with reflux but it has definitely helped with the bloating and fullness I would feel every other day since I got off the Aciphex.

My worst remaining symptom at this point is the breakthrough heartburn.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User

I am offff Nexium! I take one Align in the am, and one before bedtime.
And my throat has not been sore, thats how I know, I am having reflux.
I can't believe it, too good to be true. But for me, it seems to be working. Come back, and let me know how your doing!
I hope this can help, others!

Last edited by Loves To Sleep; 02-28-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
(female)

TVC15 HB User

I just ordered some probiotics, but not Align. I have trouble swallowing, so pills are out. I had to order a powder mixture of probiotics. I hope I have as much success as you did. If mine donít work, maybe Iíll try the Align. Hopefully Iíll be able to dissolve the capsules. Whatís funny is that when I was sitting in my GIís office waiting room two weeks ago, there was a rep. there bringing the doctors samples of Align. I just assumed it was a new horrible PPI!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I went and purchased some Align inspired by this post and have been taking it once a day for about two weeks. Not sure if it helps with the heartburn yet because I think I am still going through acid rebound, but I think it has helped with the feeling of bloating and indigestion I felt the first three weeks off PPI's. I always felt like my stomach was full of gas and had a pain just where the esophagus and stomach meets.

I am taking so much stuff to help ease this transition that I would not know whether it is the Align or something else. I know for sure it is not hurting so I'll keep on taking it.

By the way Loves to Sleep, congratulations on being off the PPI's. I hope the Align continues to work.

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 03-03-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Needed to add last sentence

Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User

YAY! I am so happy all of you trying Align
I hope it works or everyone else, as its working for me. So far, so good. I think its been a few weeks totally off Nexium now. I did slowly taper off.
And still no sore throat, I hope it continues to work.
I must say, it has really helped make me regular also. Something else, I was having issues with for years.
I think it seems to move things along more quickly, maybe thats why it helps with bloat.
I still don't really understand why it helps, as I have taken many other probiotics, and they never helped like this does.
Thank you for all your replies, I look forward to hearing, and hoping, this has helped others!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User

I wanted to add, I am very careful about what I eat. No coffee, tea, hot drinks or hot food, as my throat is very sensitive. And I never eat anything spicy or onions and garlic.
And stay away from citrus fruits, and tomato sauce.
I do enjoy apples and bananas!
I have been eating this way, for years. Its worth it to stave off that nasty GERD.
I hope and pray this works for me , long term, especially after just reading roseblooms post about bone loss. I am close to entering menopause, and I think now is the time to stop the Nexium.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you are entering menopause and have been taking Nexium, I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting a baseline Dexa screen for your bones just to see what your bone density is at this stage. My bone density was completely normal at 52 and showed marked osteopenia in both hips at 55. The only difference (besides menopause) is that I started to take Aciphex at 52. Therefore, the PPI definitely interfered with calcium absorption in my particular case. Let the consumer beware!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
(female)

Loves To Sleep HB User

Yes Rosebloom, I did read your post about this. And it made me even more sure, of trying to get off Nexium for good.
Next year when I go to the gyno, I will ask for a baseline. I am still have periods randomly, at this point. So I have not reached menopause yet.

I did have some break through reflux yesterday, I think because I slept on a full tummy! But its better today, and I am still off the Nexium and on the Align.

Thank you Rosebloom, for your very important posts, warning women of the risks of taking PPI's. Especially at our age

Closed Thread