It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

jns1022 HB User
Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

If I drink a full glass of water, like when taking my Nexium in the morning, it causes me to burp a lot and causes some stomach discomfort, as well as a couple twinges of pain in the sternum area. I've been diagnosed by symptoms with a hiatal hernia and reflux. Does anyone else experience this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

It might be you are swallowing too much air as you swallow your water and medicine.
Are you drinking the water too fast or is it too cold? Maybe the cold water is causing a spasm as it goes down. Maybe if you experiment with the way you drink the water, i.e., try smaller gulps, water at room temperature, etc., it might help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

farblefumble HB User

In the book GERD for dummies in goes into talking about how people with GERD cannot drink too much liquid at one time. It gives diagrams about how the liquid can reflux (causing pain). Try drinking a little less water and slow down as you drink it.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farblefumble View Post
In the book GERD for dummies in goes into talking about how people with GERD cannot drink too much liquid at one time. It gives diagrams about how the liquid can reflux (causing pain). Try drinking a little less water and slow down as you drink it.

That's interesting. I have only had it happen again a couple times recently and it was when I drank a glass of water rather quickly. Was thinking maybe it did have something to do with the temperature but maybe it is just the quantity of the water. Guess I don't need to be gulping water anymore.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Isn't the stomach so complicated! I was told by my acupuncuturist that you should drink luke warm water it is better for digestion. Cold water is like a shock.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Isn't the stomach so complicated! I was told by my acupuncuturist that you should drink luke warm water it is better for digestion. Cold water is like a shock.
It is for sure! I'm convinced by body hates me right now. I've had problems the last few months when I try to drink an alcoholic beverage. Not a wise decision at all but I decided to have a drink tonight. It makes my back hurt like crazy. I get what feels sort of like a cramp right in the center of my back below my shoulder blades. Usually is at it's worst about 20 minutes after I finish just one drink and lasts 20-25 minutes. Finally goes away though and then I feel fine. I know I shouldn't have drank any alcohol given that I might have acid reflux which I still don't know what's going on. Anyway, does anyone have any insight on what could cause back pain after drinking? Sometimes it also aches some around the sternum area but mainly back pain. Weird!

The Following User Says Thank You to jns1022 For This Useful Post:
mineralpro (12-06-2011)
Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My mom has acid reflux real bad - sometimes if she drinks she will force herself to throw up and that is only 2 drinks. She has to because the acid just burns her chest. She uses Prilosac over the counter. She stopped drinking it wasn't worth it. My mom was coming home one day and she felt horrible burning in her chest and she almost had to pull over. She doesn't eat much. She did describe the pain to me - it is like a nausea episode with burning pain and the pain will wrap around her back like you described and may go up her back to her neck. She already went to the doctor and had a physical so it is not heart related. I do know that when your stomach is going through gas or acid reflux it can make your back muscles stiff and you feel back pain.

You will probably need an endoscopy to check for acid reflux.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
(female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
My mom has acid reflux real bad - sometimes if she drinks she will force herself to throw up and that is only 2 drinks. She has to because the acid just burns her chest. She uses Prilosac over the counter. She stopped drinking it wasn't worth it. My mom was coming home one day and she felt horrible burning in her chest and she almost had to pull over. She doesn't eat much. She did describe the pain to me - it is like a nausea episode with burning pain and the pain will wrap around her back like you described and may go up her back to her neck. She already went to the doctor and had a physical so it is not heart related. I do know that when your stomach is going through gas or acid reflux it can make your back muscles stiff and you feel back pain.

You will probably need an endoscopy to check for acid reflux.
My back is still somewhat achy today and I felt a little sick to my stomach last night and earlier today. I don't get any of the burning sensation that you said your mom has. Just feels like a bad cramp in my back. The first time it happened I thought for sure I was going to have to go to the hospital but it eased up after about 20 minutes. Now, while it is still scary, at least I know it's something that will go away after 20-30 minutes. When I went to the doctor a couple months ago he said he thought I may have acid reflux issues but I'd never had heartburn until several times recently. I have been having stomach issues for almost 8 months. Had my GB removed in December but I had the issue with alcohol before and now after.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns1022 View Post
My back is still somewhat achy today and I felt a little sick to my stomach last night and earlier today. I don't get any of the burning sensation that you said your mom has. Just feels like a bad cramp in my back. The first time it happened I thought for sure I was going to have to go to the hospital but it eased up after about 20 minutes. Now, while it is still scary, at least I know it's something that will go away after 20-30 minutes. When I went to the doctor a couple months ago he said he thought I may have acid reflux issues but I'd never had heartburn until several times recently. I have been having stomach issues for almost 8 months. Had my GB removed in December but I had the issue with alcohol before and now after.
Ahhh now you mentioned you had your GB removed now this could be something else that is wrong. I had my GB removed 2 years ago and my stomach has never been the same. I might have Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction. I have these attacks like you lasting 20-30 minutes and alot of doctors say it is acid reflux but they don't know about Sphinctor of the Oddi dysfunction. Some people get this problem after getting their gallbladder removed. Look it up on the message board. I probably have acid reflux too.

Closed Thread