It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

If I drink a full glass of water, like when taking my Nexium in the morning, it causes me to burp a lot and causes some stomach discomfort, as well as a couple twinges of pain in the sternum area. I've been diagnosed by symptoms with a hiatal hernia and reflux. Does anyone else experience this?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 585
rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

It might be you are swallowing too much air as you swallow your water and medicine.
Are you drinking the water too fast or is it too cold? Maybe the cold water is causing a spasm as it goes down. Maybe if you experiment with the way you drink the water, i.e., try smaller gulps, water at room temperature, etc., it might help.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16
farblefumble HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

In the book GERD for dummies in goes into talking about how people with GERD cannot drink too much liquid at one time. It gives diagrams about how the liquid can reflux (causing pain). Try drinking a little less water and slow down as you drink it.

 
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farblefumble View Post
In the book GERD for dummies in goes into talking about how people with GERD cannot drink too much liquid at one time. It gives diagrams about how the liquid can reflux (causing pain). Try drinking a little less water and slow down as you drink it.

That's interesting. I have only had it happen again a couple times recently and it was when I drank a glass of water rather quickly. Was thinking maybe it did have something to do with the temperature but maybe it is just the quantity of the water. Guess I don't need to be gulping water anymore.

 
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

Isn't the stomach so complicated! I was told by my acupuncuturist that you should drink luke warm water it is better for digestion. Cold water is like a shock.

 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Isn't the stomach so complicated! I was told by my acupuncuturist that you should drink luke warm water it is better for digestion. Cold water is like a shock.
It is for sure! I'm convinced by body hates me right now. I've had problems the last few months when I try to drink an alcoholic beverage. Not a wise decision at all but I decided to have a drink tonight. It makes my back hurt like crazy. I get what feels sort of like a cramp right in the center of my back below my shoulder blades. Usually is at it's worst about 20 minutes after I finish just one drink and lasts 20-25 minutes. Finally goes away though and then I feel fine. I know I shouldn't have drank any alcohol given that I might have acid reflux which I still don't know what's going on. Anyway, does anyone have any insight on what could cause back pain after drinking? Sometimes it also aches some around the sternum area but mainly back pain. Weird!

 
The Following User Says Thank You to jns1022 For This Useful Post:
mineralpro (12-06-2011)
Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

My mom has acid reflux real bad - sometimes if she drinks she will force herself to throw up and that is only 2 drinks. She has to because the acid just burns her chest. She uses Prilosac over the counter. She stopped drinking it wasn't worth it. My mom was coming home one day and she felt horrible burning in her chest and she almost had to pull over. She doesn't eat much. She did describe the pain to me - it is like a nausea episode with burning pain and the pain will wrap around her back like you described and may go up her back to her neck. She already went to the doctor and had a physical so it is not heart related. I do know that when your stomach is going through gas or acid reflux it can make your back muscles stiff and you feel back pain.

You will probably need an endoscopy to check for acid reflux.

 
Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
My mom has acid reflux real bad - sometimes if she drinks she will force herself to throw up and that is only 2 drinks. She has to because the acid just burns her chest. She uses Prilosac over the counter. She stopped drinking it wasn't worth it. My mom was coming home one day and she felt horrible burning in her chest and she almost had to pull over. She doesn't eat much. She did describe the pain to me - it is like a nausea episode with burning pain and the pain will wrap around her back like you described and may go up her back to her neck. She already went to the doctor and had a physical so it is not heart related. I do know that when your stomach is going through gas or acid reflux it can make your back muscles stiff and you feel back pain.

You will probably need an endoscopy to check for acid reflux.
My back is still somewhat achy today and I felt a little sick to my stomach last night and earlier today. I don't get any of the burning sensation that you said your mom has. Just feels like a bad cramp in my back. The first time it happened I thought for sure I was going to have to go to the hospital but it eased up after about 20 minutes. Now, while it is still scary, at least I know it's something that will go away after 20-30 minutes. When I went to the doctor a couple months ago he said he thought I may have acid reflux issues but I'd never had heartburn until several times recently. I have been having stomach issues for almost 8 months. Had my GB removed in December but I had the issue with alcohol before and now after.

 
Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Burping and stomach discomfort after drinking water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns1022 View Post
My back is still somewhat achy today and I felt a little sick to my stomach last night and earlier today. I don't get any of the burning sensation that you said your mom has. Just feels like a bad cramp in my back. The first time it happened I thought for sure I was going to have to go to the hospital but it eased up after about 20 minutes. Now, while it is still scary, at least I know it's something that will go away after 20-30 minutes. When I went to the doctor a couple months ago he said he thought I may have acid reflux issues but I'd never had heartburn until several times recently. I have been having stomach issues for almost 8 months. Had my GB removed in December but I had the issue with alcohol before and now after.
Ahhh now you mentioned you had your GB removed now this could be something else that is wrong. I had my GB removed 2 years ago and my stomach has never been the same. I might have Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction. I have these attacks like you lasting 20-30 minutes and alot of doctors say it is acid reflux but they don't know about Sphinctor of the Oddi dysfunction. Some people get this problem after getting their gallbladder removed. Look it up on the message board. I probably have acid reflux too.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Constant burping - what helps me!! Natty46 Acid Reflux / GERD 6 05-17-2010 02:36 PM
hunger pains and constant burping! persons Open to All Other Health Topics 2 08-03-2008 08:09 PM
Frequent burping always produces GER. No other symptoms. junior26 Acid Reflux / GERD 0 03-10-2008 08:43 AM
constantly feel like burping what is wrong!!!??? seniel9 Digestive Disorders 16 08-25-2007 12:24 PM
Excessive Burping? Rawr126 Digestive Disorders 0 07-16-2007 03:21 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!