It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Black tongue due to reflux?

What is the cause of black tongue? I have read this is also called black hairy tongue, but there is nothing hairy looking about my tongue at all. I recently had a second root canal, currently with the temporary filling, and Friday I go and get the temporary crown. So, this caused me to take antibiotics, and I have been off those for 1.5 weeks now. However, my tongue has been black the entire 1.3 weeks. I saw my doctor for other reasons, and she was the one that found the black tongue thing. I have been very religious about my hygiene, however, this black tongue thing is persisting despite my efforts. I brush/floss/gargle with non alcoholic mouthwash twice a day, and I brush and scrape my tongue each time, which I have been brushing and scraping harder ever since this black stuff showed up. What causes this problem? I already read about pepto bismol, and I've never taken that stuff. I was on the antibiotics, but does it take this long to get a normal tongue? The doc told me to tell the ENT to look at the reflux in my tongue, but I thought, does that mean acid reflux? If so, then wouldn't I be having stomach problems? I have no stomach problems whatsoever. Any information offered regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. Too many other health things happening as I send this, so I'm happy to provide any more information should anyone deem it necessary.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Black tongue due to reflux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrella411 View Post
What is the cause of black tongue? I have read this is also called black hairy tongue, but there is nothing hairy looking about my tongue at all. I recently had a second root canal, currently with the temporary filling, and Friday I go and get the temporary crown. So, this caused me to take antibiotics, and I have been off those for 1.5 weeks now. However, my tongue has been black the entire 1.3 weeks. I saw my doctor for other reasons, and she was the one that found the black tongue thing. I have been very religious about my hygiene, however, this black tongue thing is persisting despite my efforts. I brush/floss/gargle with non alcoholic mouthwash twice a day, and I brush and scrape my tongue each time, which I have been brushing and scraping harder ever since this black stuff showed up. What causes this problem? I already read about pepto bismol, and I've never taken that stuff. I was on the antibiotics, but does it take this long to get a normal tongue? The doc told me to tell the ENT to look at the reflux in my tongue, but I thought, does that mean acid reflux? If so, then wouldn't I be having stomach problems? I have no stomach problems whatsoever. Any information offered regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. Too many other health things happening as I send this, so I'm happy to provide any more information should anyone deem it necessary.
Hi Aestrella:

I don't know aobut black tongue, but if it is related to the antibiotics, you may need to take probiotics to help restore the right balance to your GI system. Yogurt is a good source of probiotics or you can try a supplement such as Align. I am not sure if black tongue could be a fungus. That's what it sounds like, but I am not sure. I may try to google it to see if I can find any information about it.

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Re: Black tongue due to reflux?

Thank you for replying. I am going to google that.

Closed Thread