It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

Impatient1 HB User
Does this sound like acid reflux?

Been having some problems for a while. Was diagnosed with acid reflux based on just my symptoms. Was taking Prilosec and now Nexium for over 6 weeks now. No improvement so I was wondering if there could be something else going on or is this definitely reflux?

Symptoms include: abdominal tenderness from the sternum to the navel all the time (worse after eating); frequent burping; a weird hiccup/burp; some chest discomfort; random twinges of pain that only last a second or so in my upper abdomen; a slight burning sensation in the center of my chest; sometimes it feels like everything gets tight and aches from my breastbone up to my throat.

Even drinking water sometimes causes the symptoms to worse. I've noticed no specific food triggers. If it is reflux why is it not responding to the medication. I'm getting very concerned and wondering what is going on. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Does this sound like acid reflux?

Hi Impatient:

I don't think you are impatient at all after six weeks of suffering and not much relief.

Your symptoms sound like reflux, but you could also have esophageal spasms and/or an ulcer. No way of knowing unless you go through an edoscopy. I had one three years ago when I first began to experience symptoms of reflux. I insisted on one after reading that symptoms and symptom severity do not always correlate with the underlying seriousness of the problem.

If you read through these posts, you'll find that people sometimes have to take two or three different types of medications before they find relief or improvement. I took three before I found one that helped and did not give me unpleasant side effects. My first PPI did nothing for me, the second one gave me stomach pains in the pit of my stomach, etc. One person here will write one PPI worked very well for him or her, and three others will post that they experienced negative side effects from the exact same medicine.

My suggestion would be to go back to the doctor and ask for a referral for an endoscopy. They sound frightening but truly are not. You'll find a great deal of information and hopefully reassurance that your problems are not severe. Knowledge is power.

There are also lots of remedies you'll find posted here along changes and modifications in diet that may temporarily help you until you find the "right" medicine or combination of medicines for you. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

blettuce HB User

This is great advice. I started suffering from tummy ache, heartburn and sensation of something stuck in throat 4 months ago. Got very worked-up about it because drugs prescribed by Dr made no impact. Insisted on an endoscopy - procedure was fine and showed-up nothing. But that in itself made me stop worrying so much. Still not free from symptoms, but hoping Dr will prescribe new PPI next week (I'll have been on omeprazole for 8 wks by then) that will have an effect.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

Impatient1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
Hi Impatient:

I don't think you are impatient at all after six weeks of suffering and not much relief.

Your symptoms sound like reflux, but you could also have esophageal spasms and/or an ulcer. No way of knowing unless you go through an edoscopy. I had one three years ago when I first began to experience symptoms of reflux. I insisted on one after reading that symptoms and symptom severity do not always correlate with the underlying seriousness of the problem.

If you read through these posts, you'll find that people sometimes have to take two or three different types of medications before they find relief or improvement. I took three before I found one that helped and did not give me unpleasant side effects. My first PPI did nothing for me, the second one gave me stomach pains in the pit of my stomach, etc. One person here will write one PPI worked very well for him or her, and three others will post that they experienced negative side effects from the exact same medicine.

My suggestion would be to go back to the doctor and ask for a referral for an endoscopy. They sound frightening but truly are not. You'll find a great deal of information and hopefully reassurance that your problems are not severe. Knowledge is power.

There are also lots of remedies you'll find posted here along changes and modifications in diet that may temporarily help you until you find the "right" medicine or combination of medicines for you. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

Rose
Thanks, Rose. I forgot to mention that I do have an appointment with a gastro doctor in a couple weeks, which will be the first tme I've been to one before. Hoping that she will be able to help me. I know it's ridiculous but I've always had a fear of going to doctors, which is why I normally avoid them if at all possible, but this is definitely not just going to go away on its own. I've been having some stomach issues, not bad until recently though, for the past 5-6 months. It's to the point now where it's really affecting my everyday life in that it's hard to focus on anything else but the discomfort I'm feeling. As much as the thought of having an endoscopy scares me I think you are right in that at least it would put my mind at ease. I always jump to the worst case scenario and start imagining that I have some uncurable illness. Sad but true...haha.

You say you tried several medications but which one did end up working for you? I've been on Prilosec and now Nexium.

I've also been trying to somewhat follow a GERD diet and have had a couple slip-ups but I have not had any caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, tea, or mint for the past six weeks. Also been trying to cut out tomatoes and onions which I have had a couple times. Like I said though, I've noticed no specific food triggers. One day something will bother me and then I'll eat it with no trouble whatsoever the next day. Did you find that to be the case with you as well?

Is this something that I will be able to get a handle on myself, if it is reflux, because I do not want to me on medications? Do you have your reflux under complete control, or is that possible?

I really appreciate you taking time to respond to my post. Thanks and hope you have a good day!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
(female)

MATTIE2 HB User

I have had Acid Reflex for many years and was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia, your symptoms are similar to mine but you seem to have others symptoms too. I think you need to have an Endoscopy asap, as you could have stomach ulcers, or it could be your Oesophagus. I take 20mg daily of Omeprazole (gastro-resistant) and also keep by my bedside Gavilast tablets (rinitidine) which work very quickly to relieve the symptoms of Acid Reflux. (I used to wake up in the night feeling as if someone had poured acid into my mouth and the next day I had a sore throat and could hardly speak) this is now under control. Good Luck

Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Hi Impatient:

The upper endoscopy is not a big deal and, unlike a colonoscopy (yikes!) there is no prep. I think it is a good idea to have a baseline endoscopy because for most of us this is a lifelong condition, and we should be able to show over time whether our esophaguses have stayed the same, showed signs of damage, etc. I am very glad I had mine three years ago and may go for another one in two years depending on what is going on.

My reflux symptoms were under great control with the PPI Aciphex until I decided to discontinue it in late December. It was a personal decision based on the discovery that I had developed osteopenia (precursor of osteoporosis) in both hips after being on the Aciphex for only three years. Right now I am off Aciphex and taking an H2 blocker to help with the rebound. Not only am I experiencing heartburn, but also a host of other symptoms I did not have before I started on the PPI. I wrote a post about this and go back and update it every week or so. I have been off the PPI for about seven weeks and counting. My goal is to stay off PPI's if I can and rely on H2 blockers and natural remedies to ward off reflux.

I also want to add that I am not impliying other people should go off PPI's or not take them. My decision to stop taking mine was based on a particular set of circumstances and my fear that I will end up with brittle bones for the sake of being able to eat what I want. But the PPI worked great for me.

I think you'll feel better once you have your endoscopy and slowly but surely will find the right medication for you.

Rose

My reflux is not under good control right now.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveNyasia View Post
According to me there is no cure for Acid reflux..yes home remedies can be better option, moreover walk is the best medicine
I am afraid you might be right. I think there are ways to minimize acid, have less reflux, etc. But if reflux is caused by a weak LES, there is no way to fix that except surgery, and that may or may not work as people who have had fundopication sometimes have to take medicine.

I am resigned to the fact that I may experience more or less reflux, but I think the symptoms are something that are going to be there to a greater or lesser extent.

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 03-10-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

Impatient1 HB User

Ironically, since I quit taking Nexium last week my symptoms have eased up quite a bit. The last couple days I took it I was feeling really badly. I went to a gastro doc and when I told her about feeling better after stopping the Nexium she said that some of my symptoms could be side effects from the medicine. I still have some abdominal tenderness but the burping and chest discomfort have ease up quite a bit. Since I have been doing some better we decided to wait a week or so, see how I feel, and then order tests if I'm still having issues. I just never thought that the medication I was taking for stomach discomfort would actually make me feel worse. Guess I should've spent some time researching it before taking it. Anyone else had problems with Nexium?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

ha, i wonder if this is happening to me with prilosec...if you look at the boards i've been on here for months with i'm pretty sure by now, erosions (my esophagus is sore 24/7), but i am slowly weaning off prilosec as i have tried EVERYTHING else (except surgery) and it has gotten so much worse since beginning prilosec last June 2009...hmmmm though, keep us updated. I just began my taper last week.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
(female)

MATTIE2 HB User

Is it possible you have an stomach ulcer?
I have acid reflux and take Omeprazole which helps. If you have pain in your stomach, ask your GP to refer you for an endoscopy.
My husband had stomach ulcers which were caused by Helicobacter pylori. Your symptoms are more like his; H. pylori is the most common cause of a peptic ulcer, ask your GP to test you for the bacterium, they can prescribe medicines to treat this. (My husband had a peptic & duodenal ulcer he has no symptoms since the treatment which was over 10 years ago)

Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient1 View Post
Ironically, since I quit taking Nexium last week my symptoms have eased up quite a bit. The last couple days I took it I was feeling really badly. I went to a gastro doc and when I told her about feeling better after stopping the Nexium she said that some of my symptoms could be side effects from the medicine. I still have some abdominal tenderness but the burping and chest discomfort have ease up quite a bit. Since I have been doing some better we decided to wait a week or so, see how I feel, and then order tests if I'm still having issues. I just never thought that the medication I was taking for stomach discomfort would actually make me feel worse. Guess I should've spent some time researching it before taking it. Anyone else had problems with Nexium?
Not with Nexium but I remember having stomach pains when I was on Prilosec OTC or Prevacid OTC, one of those two, whichever one came out first with the OTC version. The gastro doctor told me the same thing, that the medicine could be causing the pains. She then switched me to Zegerid which did nothing, and eventually to Aciphex which I took until January 24th of this year.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient1 View Post
Thanks, Rose. I forgot to mention that I do have an appointment with a gastro doctor in a couple weeks, which will be the first tme I've been to one before. Hoping that she will be able to help me. I know it's ridiculous but I've always had a fear of going to doctors, which is why I normally avoid them if at all possible, but this is definitely not just going to go away on its own. I've been having some stomach issues, not bad until recently though, for the past 5-6 months. It's to the point now where it's really affecting my everyday life in that it's hard to focus on anything else but the discomfort I'm feeling. As much as the thought of having an endoscopy scares me I think you are right in that at least it would put my mind at ease. I always jump to the worst case scenario and start imagining that I have some uncurable illness. Sad but true...haha.

You say you tried several medications but which one did end up working for you? I've been on Prilosec and now Nexium.

I've also been trying to somewhat follow a GERD diet and have had a couple slip-ups but I have not had any caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, tea, or mint for the past six weeks. Also been trying to cut out tomatoes and onions which I have had a couple times. Like I said though, I've noticed no specific food triggers. One day something will bother me and then I'll eat it with no trouble whatsoever the next day. Did you find that to be the case with you as well?

Is this something that I will be able to get a handle on myself, if it is reflux, because I do not want to me on medications? Do you have your reflux under complete control, or is that possible?

I really appreciate you taking time to respond to my post. Thanks and hope you have a good day!

I hate the doctors too - like right now I am going through what I think is acid reflux but I have other issues too. I have no gallbladder and besides acid reflux I have pain and nausea so I had all these test thinking the worst all the time - "is it cancer?" My nerves were shot because that is all I could think of. They are saying it might be sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction so my mind is really wondering off. The endoscopy was easy for me so I wouldn't worry and it can ease your mind after having it done. So if I can do it anyone can because I get scared off of any test and this was pretty easy for me.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
(female)

Lights242 HB User

I had both a colonoscopy & an endoscopy yesterday. Aside from a somewhat sorer throat than what I had before, and some bruising where they couldn't get the IV in, I am no worse for the wear. (honestly, the prep for the colonoscopy was not as bad as I expected--my tips, fast for 2 days or at least 1.5 days, not just the 1 and also drink the prep stuff with a straw, not out of a glass!! I was also on extra fiber b/c of the GERD so I think that helped the situation.)

I don't remember anything the doctor said because I was so out of it, but according to my partner, they found nothing wrong with either end. They took biopsies just to be sure so I will await those results. I do already feel better knowing it's not esophageal cancer. So even though I don't have an answer, I feel better having more information than just sitting around googling for a cause in the dark. I would urge any of you to do the same.

@Rose, does a regular endoscopy show esophageal spasming because that is what I felt like I was having but the doctor said no sign of that.

Closed Thread