It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

goldenage HB User
Side effects from PPI's

My ENT put me on PPI's for possible LPR. I'm supposed to be taking them for a month to see if my symptoms subside but the side effects are giving me problems. I feel even worse after I take them.

I tried Omeprazole twice a day for a couple of days but it was turning my bowel movements a rusty red (same color as the pill). I know this isn't serious so I'll probably go back to it. It was just scaring me everytime I went to the bathroom. Then I tried Prevacid 15mg twice a day for a few days but it gave me chest pains. BAD chest pains.

Finally, I've been taking Prilosec 20mg twice a day for four days but I think it's making me nauseous. I'm fine when I take the pill in the morning. But the pill I take before dinner is making me sick. I can barely chew my food because of the nausea and I have to force it down. I didn't take a pill tonight and felt perfectly fine. No nausea

Am I just being a baby? Should I keep on the Prilosec and see if the nausea goes away? Or go back to Omeprazole?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
Re: Side effects from PPI's

I don't think you are being a baby at all, some of us are unlucky and have lots of side effects with ppi's. I think it is of course wise to check in with your dr/pharmascist and tell them your situation. When i was having problems with protonix and then nexium i was told to stop after a few weeks and go back to prilosec which i have side effects but not as severe as the other two. Although i have been wondering if prilosec is making me worse, but thats another story. Its all trial and error. I have been getting lots of books on reflux and reading up. Best wishes to you on your journey.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Should I keep on the Prilosec and see if the nausea goes away? Or go back to Omeprazole?
Prilosec and Omeprazole are the same medication - Omeprazole is the name of the actual medication that is used by generic drug makers while Prilosec is the brand name owned by the original manufacturer.

If you did better on the generic version then there's no reason not to go back to the generic.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Could you try just taking the pill in the morning if taking the one in the evening makes you ill?

You can get 40mg (ie double strength) Prilosec/Omeprazole that you would only need to take once a day.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I would quickly ask the doctor if you could take a different PPI to see if you don't have the side effects you are describing. There are so many different PPI's available that it is hard for me to see the justification for feeling nausea daily unless you absolutely have to.

Rose

Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
(female)

goldenage HB User

Thanks you guys! I didn't have any nausea today. So either it was a big coincidence or I've gotten used to the medicine. Fine with me. I didn't feel like starting on another PPI

Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have recently gone back on Prevacid for the past 3 or so weeks. Suddenly I am feeling like am having side effects. A day or so ago I started having a couple heart palpatations like I did before on this, and now I have some burning in my muscles like a hot iron is on them, like my inner thighs, abs and breasts, its weird. It feels bad. And then some random pain and *****ly sensations in various locations. Does anyone else have this? I know anxiety bring this on. But honestly I was feeling fine till I have been on this med again. Anyone else have a similiar experience? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
I have recently gone back on Prevacid for the past 3 or so weeks. Suddenly I am feeling like am having side effects. A day or so ago I started having a couple heart palpatations like I did before on this, and now I have some burning in my muscles like a hot iron is on them, like my inner thighs, abs and breasts, its weird. It feels bad. And then some random pain and *****ly sensations in various locations. Does anyone else have this? I know anxiety bring this on. But honestly I was feeling fine till I have been on this med again. Anyone else have a similiar experience? Thanks!
Tedd:

I wonder if some of those symptoms may not be attributed to perimenopause/menopause or thyroid? Not sure if you are in any of those situations, but I know I have experienced all sorts of strange sensations and feelings/symptoms since I started going through menopause two years ago. I even started to experience migraines with auras due to hormone fluctuations. For me the onset of menopause came accompanied with a lot of other bothersome symptoms, including acid reflux.

The other medications that can cause the weird muscle feelings are the cholesterol lowering meds/statins (Zocor, etc) that so many people take. I am not sure whether the PPI's can cause those types of side effects, but also know we all respond differently to medications.

Rose

Rose

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
(female)

goldenage HB User

I had chest pains when I took Prevacid. I stopped taking it for a couple of days and they went away. Then came back when I took it again. If it is Prevacid causing the heart palpatations you should stop taking it and find something else. I don't think any PPI is worth that kind of side effect.

Or it could be what Rosebloom suggested.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
(female)

Ambra75 HB User

Hi everybody, I just posted a new thread because I am desperate. I have had a reflux flare up for 5 months now causing me a mild esophageal inflamation. I have been trying all different kinds of medicines: 4 PPIs: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix; 2 H2blockers: Zantac and Pepcid; 2 others: Gaviscon and Riopan. I couldn't take any of these more than a few days (from 1 to 13 days) because of their side effects.

The 2 bad side effects I've most often had are:
worsened IBS - bad abdominal cramps (caused by Nexium together with fever and Zantac)
a white-coated and burning tongue (caused by Prevacid, Zantac, Protonix, Pepcid, Riopan).

Have you ever had a burning tongue due to them?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambra75 View Post
Hi everybody, I just posted a new thread because I am desperate. I have had a reflux flare up for 5 months now causing me a mild esophageal inflamation. I have been trying all different kinds of medicines: 4 PPIs: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix; 2 H2blockers: Zantac and Pepcid; 2 others: Gaviscon and Riopan. I couldn't take any of these more than a few days (from 1 to 13 days) because of their side effects.

The 2 bad side effects I've most often had are:
worsened IBS - bad abdominal cramps (caused by Nexium together with fever and Zantac)
a white-coated and burning tongue (caused by Prevacid, Zantac, Protonix, Pepcid, Riopan).

Have you ever had a burning tongue due to them?
I have never had a burning tongue in response to a PPI, but have read other threads where others claim to have experienced that particular symptom.

You seem to be very sensitive to medications because they appear to produce all sorts of atypical side effects. Have you tried sucking on DGL and taking aloe vera juice to soothe your throat and esophagus.

Not sure what can cause the burning tongue other than nerves being irritated and the sensation radiating from your throat to your mouth. I wonder if anyone here might have more information about that.

Hope you find something that gives you relief soon.

Rose

Closed Thread