It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

Tiff7 HB User
Unhappy Is this GERD or GERD plus something else?

Hi
Been having really terrible pain for a couple of years on an off.

Long history, but please bear with me - any suggestions or answers would be more than welcome.

Had a relatively simple operation on my feet 2 years ago and a few weeks later rushed to to GP with chest and back pains. He examined me and gave me some acid reduction pills and nitrolingual spray. I also had a chest x-ray, heart stress test and blood tests. All came back normal.

Carried on for a while but still having the pains. Went back to GP and he said the pains were probably caused by a trapped nerve in the neck - MRI scan showed nothing. During this time he also gave me some beta blockers which made me feel awful so I stopped taking them.

My right shoulder was in bits so I went to a chiropractor who managed to pop a rib out ! Switched to pysio and this really helped.

Various trips back to Doctor who eventually said I was depressed and gave me pills and a few sessions with a therapist.

What I find strange is that the nitroligual spray really helps me and has done all along.

I've had all manner of blood tests which have come back showing nothing. A further stress test on the heart and an gastroscopy - no anomalies whatsoever but the stomach Doctor suggested I started taking Omeprazole again.

Current situation is becoming unbearable and I don't know what to do next :

Run down of symptoms is :

When I move I get a chronic tightness across my chest which radiates across my back and down my right arm. Also get this when sitting down for no reason
Feeling of a lump in my throat
Sore ribs on right side all the time and sore down right side and right shoulder
Pressure feeling in chest
Frequent bowel movements in the morning
Abdomen feels sore
Shaky all over most of the time
Cold hands and feet and my Reynaulds is worse than ever

All the above never go away.....................

The pain goes away using the GTN spray but also goes away on it's own.

Last visit to GP he suggested depression again and more pills. I don't think he's taking me seriously any more.

Sorry for the ramble but I could do with some answers - anybody out there have any clues as to what's going on ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Is this GERD or GERD plus something else?

I don't know if it is gerd or not but you need a doctor who will listen to your symptoms and not push depression medicine. Do you still have a gallbladder? I went to a gastro doctor and they love to push anxiety medicine if they can't find anything wrong.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

Tiff7 HB User

Hi
Thanks for your response - I do still have my gallbladder - not something that Doc has suggested might be not working properly. All blood tests though (and there have been a lot) have come back normal. I thought things like that showed up in bloods !

I will try and persevere with my Doc for a little while longer though if no success with him will try and find another one.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff7 View Post
Hi
Thanks for your response - I do still have my gallbladder - not something that Doc has suggested might be not working properly. All blood tests though (and there have been a lot) have come back normal. I thought things like that showed up in bloods !

I will try and persevere with my Doc for a little while longer though if no success with him will try and find another one.

Hi Tiff:

You might find informative a book by Sherry Rogers, M.D. called "No more heartburn." It discusses many of the potential causes for indigestion or dyspepsia which sounds like you are experiencing with all sorts of different and annoying symptoms. Sometimes it is a matter of modifying the diet and at other times we have to find medicines that work.

Have you tried just an antiacid like Tums rather than the PPI. Sometimes doctors use medications that are too strong to begin with and we develop other symptoms from the medications.

Depression meds should be taken for depression, but apparently several of them can contribute to acid reflux as they relax the lower esophageal sphincter or muscle that keeps all that acid down in your stomach.

Hope you find some answers and feel better soon.

Rose

Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
(female)

Tiff7 HB User
Smile Re: Is this GERD or GERD plus something else?

Hi Rose

Thank you for your response. The most annoying thing about my problem is that all tests that I have had have been negative.............so I don't have a diagnosis but am convinced that it is GERD. I think it would have been much easier for me if someone had managed to pinpoint what was actually going on with me.

I have ordered the book that you suggested and hopefully there may be something in that to give me some more pointers as to how I can 'self help'.

By the way I stopped taking the PPI about a week ago and feel better already.

Regards

Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
(female)

kailuagal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff7 View Post
Hi
Been having really terrible pain for a couple of years on an off.

Long history, but please bear with me - any suggestions or answers would be more than welcome.

Had a relatively simple operation on my feet 2 years ago and a few weeks later rushed to to GP with chest and back pains. He examined me and gave me some acid reduction pills and nitrolingual spray. I also had a chest x-ray, heart stress test and blood tests. All came back normal.

Carried on for a while but still having the pains. Went back to GP and he said the pains were probably caused by a trapped nerve in the neck - MRI scan showed nothing. During this time he also gave me some beta blockers which made me feel awful so I stopped taking them.

My right shoulder was in bits so I went to a chiropractor who managed to pop a rib out ! Switched to pysio and this really helped.

Various trips back to Doctor who eventually said I was depressed and gave me pills and a few sessions with a therapist.

What I find strange is that the nitroligual spray really helps me and has done all along.

I've had all manner of blood tests which have come back showing nothing. A further stress test on the heart and an gastroscopy - no anomalies whatsoever but the stomach Doctor suggested I started taking Omeprazole again.

Current situation is becoming unbearable and I don't know what to do next :

Run down of symptoms is :

When I move I get a chronic tightness across my chest which radiates across my back and down my right arm. Also get this when sitting down for no reason
Feeling of a lump in my throat
Sore ribs on right side all the time and sore down right side and right shoulder
Pressure feeling in chest
Frequent bowel movements in the morning
Abdomen feels sore
Shaky all over most of the time
Cold hands and feet and my Reynaulds is worse than ever

All the above never go away.....................

The pain goes away using the GTN spray but also goes away on it's own.

Last visit to GP he suggested depression again and more pills. I don't think he's taking me seriously any more.

Sorry for the ramble but I could do with some answers - anybody out there have any clues as to what's going on ?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

kailuagal HB User

Greetings,
OMG! What a relief to see similar symptoms. When you mentioned a simple operation on your foot, I screamed, "Bingo!" I have a call into my doctor today and hope to get to the bottom of my oddly similar symptoms. I have thought about heart attacks, GERD, poor alignment following surgery (I am limping and will start physical therapy), asthma, artery blockage. It is frightening and happening more frequently.
Dear Tiff7, did it begin after the foot surgery, as mine did? Find out if it is related to poor alignment of some sort. I know that I had to rest my foot, raising it as high if not higher than my heart, which would affect gastrointestinal problems.
Let's try to solve this.
Wish us luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

lagnafsue HB User

My husband started Omeprazole a few month agoand now has pain and tenderness in his rib cage and mid-abdominal muscles, is weak and sore. We're stopping the meds for a week to see if its the cause. I pray it is. Will post then. Hopefully good news.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SureBett HB User

Kailu I realize this post was made in March, but wonder if you are still dealing with any of these symptoms?

It sounds like you have more than just one problem going on to cause all the symptoms...sometimes we can have one problem, undiagnosed or dealt with, then another comes along to complicate the diagnosis further..

I assume you have had your thyroid gland checked? and you have actually seen the paperwork (labs) so that it is not put off as being normal when it has been flagged...many dr's do not discuss low thryoid readings with you unless you have a very low reading..however, I do know that even mildly low readings can bring on many symptoms that you describe...

The other issue of course is the hormonal one....not sure how old you are or if HRT would apply, but I also know that when you are having too much of one hormone and not enough of another it causes some major things, and mimics anxiety like problems, which also can describe some of your symptoms....I think doctors will choose the depression/anxiety route because that is what they are taught....

hope you are doing better these months later..

Closed Thread