It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
(male)

mucous HB User
Lightbulb Mint toothpaste???

Hi all,

Just a quick one as I am seriously in need of some sleep but just wondering if anybody had found a correlation between toothpaste, particularly mint toothpaste, and their LPR/Acid Reflux?

I realised that the burning sensation in my throat generally started sometime after I got up in the morning. This got me thinking about my toothpaste. I started using children's raspberry flavoured toothpaste and for the past week and a half have been much better. It is odd brushing with a sweet toothpaste and today I thought I would give the mint a go and I have pretty much been suffering all day.

I have also swapped from the mint flavoured Gaviscon (I know it is mint flavoured and not real mint) to the aniseed and felt much better since.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Incidentally I am on 30mg Lansoprazole a day, originally tried Pantoprazole but got no where with it.

Kind regards

Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

lilypony HB User
Re: Mint toothpaste???

I wouldn't think there's any correlation between the two toothpastes unless you are swallowing it. Mint (adult) toothpaste contains fluoride, while flavored (children) toothpaste often does not or contains a lower amount of it. Mint as an herb is thought to have stomach calming properties. Many antacids contain mint. I would think if anything the mint would help. It may also just kind of be in your head where you don't particularly care for the mint and it upsets your stomach a bit, while the fruity kind is so good that your stomach calms.

I'm hooked on the hello kitty princess bubblegum flavor that my daughter uses. We;re often in a rush in the morning and so I brush my teeth at home but eat breakfast in the car and that way I don't have to eat weird-tasting food from a minty mouth. I just brush again later in the morning with minty stuff at work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Mint toothpaste???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucous View Post
Hi all,

Just a quick one as I am seriously in need of some sleep but just wondering if anybody had found a correlation between toothpaste, particularly mint toothpaste, and their LPR/Acid Reflux?

I realised that the burning sensation in my throat generally started sometime after I got up in the morning. This got me thinking about my toothpaste. I started using children's raspberry flavoured toothpaste and for the past week and a half have been much better. It is odd brushing with a sweet toothpaste and today I thought I would give the mint a go and I have pretty much been suffering all day.

I have also swapped from the mint flavoured Gaviscon (I know it is mint flavoured and not real mint) to the aniseed and felt much better since.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Incidentally I am on 30mg Lansoprazole a day, originally tried Pantoprazole but got no where with it.

Kind regards
Mint toothpaste gives me heartburn. Strong smell of perfume gives me heartburn. It is the weirdest thing, but anything minty, including gum, gets the heartburn going for me. I, too, have been using kiddy toothpaste and feel better. I used to wake up without heartburn and start experiencing it the minute I finished brushing my teeth in the morning.

Closed Thread