It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

thecakelady HB User
Considering Espohyx TIF

Hi everyone, I am new here. Great board.

I am 46 yo female with Gerd and Barrett's for about 10 years. I have had 2 erosions in the past. But now it seems I have bad flares even when the scopes show nothing acute going on. I have been on nexium for several years now, and my GERD seems to be getting steadily worse.

I am considering asking my doc about the Esophyx, and would very much like to hear your experiences with it, if you would not mind sharing.

Thank you so much, Sharon

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User
Re: Considering Espohyx TIF

Do a search on TIF and you'll have my and a lot of others comments. In a few words...no, the TIF is not worth it. Had reflux before my procedure, have it now, three months later. I figured it was worth a shot, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

lilypony HB User

My thoughts on this are that different things work for different people. If you read the study results from the TIF procedure, the vast majority of people have significant improvement in their symptoms. The biggest problem with this (and any other health board) is that people who frequent the boards are people who are still experiencing problems. You're not looking at a representative sample of the people who have had the TIF. The people who had successful TIF procedures aren't on here networking with other people who are also suffering. It's important to keep in mind that the TIF is not guaranteed result. There are a lot of unhappy people who would never recommend it, but the study results show that the vast majority of people saw at least some degree of improvement.

A local hospital here has a lot of educational programs about all different sorts of things, one of them is about the TIF procedure. I haven't been to it yet, but was told that people who were happy with their results would be there to answer questions and that there was an extensive list of happy TIF'ers that I could contact as references. In my case, I am strongly considering it. I know there is a significant chance that I will be unhappy, but I also know there is a greater chance that I will once again be able to sleep through the night and maybe not break any more ribs from coughing with my acid-induced asthma.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

Good advice - find some folks who had a successful TIF. I'm sure they will give you a more optimistic answer. I am only telling you my experience and what my primary doctor has told me about the rest of his patients who have had it.

Closed Thread