It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

bellagee HB User
Proton Pump Inhibitors and absorption of nutrients

Hi everyone. I have been taking Somac once a day for the last 6 months for acid reflux and recurring h-pylori. I read somewhere recently that PPI's can affect the absorption of certain vitamins & minerals eg Vitamin B12, Calcium etc and I am extremely concerned as I was diagnosed over a year ago as having mild osteoperosis (sic) & I'm worried that by continuing to take this medication there will be some adverse effect on my bones. I have also noticed that my hair is lifeless and is thinning so am wondering if this is also due to PPI's? I am seeing my gastroenterologist tomorrow morning and will be discussing with him but I would like to hear from others who have experienced the same as I'm sure I have a valid concern. Thank you.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: Proton Pump Inhibitors and absorption of nutrients

Bellagee, I have been taking PPIs in one form or another for more than 20 years for reflux, they said caused by a hiatal hernia.

Everything was fine until I became menopausal - I immediately started taking the recommended dosage of calcium - and a few years later was diagnosed with osteopenia, which is "mild osteoporosis". I was treated with bone building meds for two years, and it completely reversed. That was 3 years ago. Two years ago I added vitamin D to the mix, which helps the body absorb calcium.

I had a low back and hips x-ray done 2 weeks ago, and from the x-rays they could tell that my bones were "demineralized". I have since had another BMD scan because my doctor is fairly sure that I have osteoporosis.

A sideline is that through trial and error, I found out recently that I am gluten intolerant, so I have cut out wheat from my diet. At the same time I cut out white sugar, chocolate and caffeine.

Back the subject, I decided enough was enough, and I stopped taking my PPI meds (pantoloc) on the weekend just to see if I could do it. I have found that as long as I drink enough water or tea, I don't get heartburn at all. The 2 times that I did, I popped an antacid and it was gone. There's been no withdrawal like in the past-if I'd forget even one of my pantoloc, I'd be disoriented, have a headache, be dizzy, and of course have heartburn that even an antacid couldn't touch.

Long story, but essentially, yes, PPIs will rob you of nutrients, and especially calcium because they prevent the stomach from forming acid, which is essential to cause absorbption of these minerals into our body.

I wish you good health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagee View Post
Hi everyone. I have been taking Somac once a day for the last 6 months for acid reflux and recurring h-pylori. I read somewhere recently that PPI's can affect the absorption of certain vitamins & minerals eg Vitamin B12, Calcium etc and I am extremely concerned as I was diagnosed over a year ago as having mild osteoperosis (sic) & I'm worried that by continuing to take this medication there will be some adverse effect on my bones. I have also noticed that my hair is lifeless and is thinning so am wondering if this is also due to PPI's? I am seeing my gastroenterologist tomorrow morning and will be discussing with him but I would like to hear from others who have experienced the same as I'm sure I have a valid concern. Thank you.
PPI's do interfere with the absorption of calcium, vitamin B12 and other nutrients. If you need to be on a PPI, make sure you take supplements. Calcium citrate does not need as much acid in the stomach to be absorbed and the body also needs vitamin D3 to best absorb the calcium. Space your calcium pills into two doses of 600 mg each and take 1000 mg of D3 daily. That is the advise given by my physician. Other types of calcium are cheaper but not as easily absorbed by the stomach.

I took Aciphex for two years (half the minimum dose or 10 mg) and went from having a normal Dexa scan three years ago to osteopenia in both hips when retested recently last December. Needless to say, I was not too happy about it.

Problems with calcium absorption is one of the reasons long term PPI use has been associated with hip fractures.

Rose

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
(male)

arvindmanda HB User

Hi All, Has been reading this thread, if i were on Aciphex for duodenal ulcer treatment which is re curring (2nd time), what supplements i need to take along with it, Any information would be very useful

Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

Hi arvind. I take two kinds of multi vitamins for my eyes and general health. But calcium and Vitamin D would be the major supplements I would recommend.

I got the results of my MRI and bone scans; I don't have osteoporosis or even osteopenia, so I really believe that the key is to take these two in combination, morning and night. I currently take 650 mg of calcium and 1000 mg of vitamin D twice a day.

I do however have severe degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my spine and a badly bulging disc at L1/L2, to the right. But that's a topic for another board.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
(male)

arvindmanda HB User

Hi christine, Thanks alot for the information, I would follow the advise as long as am on PPIs

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

The recommended amounts of calcium are app. 1200 mg a day split in two doses with 1000 mg of vitamin D3 to aid absorption. I also take magnesium 250 mg split in two doses to work with the calcium and vitamin D. I take fish oil capsules twice a day, one vitamin E and one B complex along with a regular multivitamin a day.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
(female)

lindsaylo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanda View Post
Hi christine, Thanks alot for the information, I would follow the advise as long as am on PPIs
I was just wondering if anyone suffered with severe constipation from taking PPI's? help!

Closed Thread