It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Unhappy Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Hi everyone,
I feel so bad complaining about something that isn't terminal or making me suffer like so many others. I've had halitosis for years, nothing seems to help. I went through a long phase in college trying a ridiculous number of products all promising a cure. It wasn't cheap of course.

Then when I started working, I got myself to the dentist who found a few cavities in my teeth. But they were all fixed. When the cavities were first discovered - I thought great - this is what is causing the stinky mouth. Other than that, the dentist said my oral hygiene was good.

Bad breath still stayed. I saved & saved and finally got to an ENT. I had what feels like post-nasal drip and the ENT look around and said nose looks good. Looked down my throat and said doesn't see any inflammation, etc. The ENT said that the feeling of a lump and some difficulty breathing could be the result of a sinus infection that has been there for a while. So he prescribed some antibiotics. I have never had to take any before, so if they were going to work they would have.

The antibiotics did not work. Still the lump in the throat & the stinky breath.

Now the ENT wants an xray just to be sure it's not a sinus infection. Understandable I guess. I was also having some burping (pure air) no food and really not other reflux symptoms. The food I ate didn't matter. It seemed to happen each time I ate or drank really. I don't drink coffee, I rarely have chocolate. My diet is very healthy overall - if I had to perfect it - I'd probably cut out the sugar. I'll have a piece of cake every other week or something. I don't need to lose/gain weight. I'm active. I am healthy overall. I used to be relatively happy, but the bad breath really really is keeping me back. It's so embarrassing and offensive. :'(

Other than the xray for the sinus, I am supposed to start taking Prilosec OTC - once a day for about 6 weeks or so.

I feel so not like myself anymore. I know this is the reflux board but I hope you all can give me some advice. I try my best to not let it get to - I used t avoid going out all the time. Then I realized I felt even worse. So I'll meet up with people but often choose activities that don't require close interaction. I hate this.

I'm just going on but no one in my family understands this. I told two people after mustering some courage and they said oh just brush more.

My main question is did anyone who suffered from the lump in throat & halitosis feel better after Prilosec or other PPI? I read something about how it will prevent acid but won't stop the reflux. Then I started to consider maybe using Gaviscon for this LPR type stuff? I don't know. Honestly, the lump in the throat (if it's even PND or whatever it is) is annoying but if I could have fresh breath for once I would live with the annoying glob.

Thanks everyone. Hope you guys don't think I'm overreacting, be a sissy, etc. I hate this breath. Ugh.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 315
bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

An endoscopy is a good idea- they can actually see what is happening down there & then maybe you can get a firm diagnoses. I don't have the bad breath thing- just the constant cough & nausea- also lump in the throat feeling & difficulty swallowing when lying down. I take Nexium but it doesn't seem to help any more- though it did for a while.

I don't think the ppi's can stop LPR but they can reduce the acid & therefore any future damage that it can cause. A gastro specialist is the right person to see though because LPR is really a gastric problem. Good luck- it is a long road to find relief from this condition! Let us know how you go.
__________________
Bubblegirl

 
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
tfadem HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

I have a similiar problem, i get the halitotis too from the lump and i have tried gaviscon and sometimes it does help it but unfortunatley i rely on trying to find things to cover it up. Unfortunately we have to find whats the cause to be able to fix it, but try anise in the produce section, its like a licorice base veggie and it helps stomach issues, ground it up try it it might give a little relief for a bit, worth a try. I feel for you.

 
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 585
rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Halitosis can be an annoying symptom. Hopefully, your doctor can run some tests and find a cause that can be treated. I don't know much about halitosis other than I occasionally get it too. I am sure it is just as frustrating as any other symptom that does not go away regardless of what we do. Hope you find some answers soon.

Rose

 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 15
lilypony HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Prilosec has been noted to cause depression in some people. When you say you're not feeling like yourself, and your thread is titled "sadness", it really makes me think you may need to have your medication re-evaluated.

I had minor bad breath problems forever. My husband (the overly dramatic complainer) says it's not that bad and I just brush frequently and it all seemed fine. I knew it wasn't dental so assumed it was diet or something. I was switched to pantoprazole last month. It has helped the cough/mucous somewhat but we did notice my breath is sparkly fresh. It was about two weeks into it that I realized I wasn't having a bad taste in my mouth, which is my cue to brush my teeth. All makes sense in hindsight.

Please, please speak with your doctor about how you are feeling and ask if your medication needs to be changed. Make sure they understand that you felt like yourself before and with the meds you do not.

 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegirl View Post
An endoscopy is a good idea- they can actually see what is happening down there & then maybe you can get a firm diagnoses. I don't have the bad breath thing- just the constant cough & nausea- also lump in the throat feeling & difficulty swallowing when lying down. I take Nexium but it doesn't seem to help any more- though it did for a while.

I don't think the ppi's can stop LPR but they can reduce the acid & therefore any future damage that it can cause. A gastro specialist is the right person to see though because LPR is really a gastric problem. Good luck- it is a long road to find relief from this condition! Let us know how you go.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry you're going through the lump bit of it! Annoying right? Since the Nexium doesn't help anymore are you taking anything else?

The local teaching hospital rec'd a ENT for the LPR and if was GERD then the gastro. Especially because my concerns were from the throat & the breath. I go to take my x-rays tomorrow so who knows where I'll end up after that!

 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfadem View Post
I have a similiar problem, i get the halitotis too from the lump and i have tried gaviscon and sometimes it does help it but unfortunatley i rely on trying to find things to cover it up. Unfortunately we have to find whats the cause to be able to fix it, but try anise in the produce section, its like a licorice base veggie and it helps stomach issues, ground it up try it it might give a little relief for a bit, worth a try. I feel for you.
Hi, which Gaviscon are you using? I know they vary based on country so I'm curious to know. Unfort, I've try anise, fennel, clove, all the rest - they only cover up the problem. I've been through so many products too. I'm going to restart the smart mouth rinse again just to give it another shot. Maybe using therabreath toothpaste. I always feel like the stinky bits are from the inside so it's so hard to treat it. Sorry you're going through this as well. Thanks for sharing and your help.

 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
Halitosis can be an annoying symptom. Hopefully, your doctor can run some tests and find a cause that can be treated. I don't know much about halitosis other than I occasionally get it too. I am sure it is just as frustrating as any other symptom that does not go away regardless of what we do. Hope you find some answers soon.

Rose
Thank you Rose! Your words are very encouraging.

 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypony View Post
Prilosec has been noted to cause depression in some people. When you say you're not feeling like yourself, and your thread is titled "sadness", it really makes me think you may need to have your medication re-evaluated.

I had minor bad breath problems forever. My husband (the overly dramatic complainer) says it's not that bad and I just brush frequently and it all seemed fine. I knew it wasn't dental so assumed it was diet or something. I was switched to pantoprazole last month. It has helped the cough/mucous somewhat but we did notice my breath is sparkly fresh. It was about two weeks into it that I realized I wasn't having a bad taste in my mouth, which is my cue to brush my teeth. All makes sense in hindsight.

Please, please speak with your doctor about how you are feeling and ask if your medication needs to be changed. Make sure they understand that you felt like yourself before and with the meds you do not.
Hi lilpony - I actually haven't even had a single dose of Prilosec yet! My sadness is from the symptoms I'm having (halitosis).

I'm glad you found something that worked. I just looked up pantoprazole and see it's basically what Protonix is. This is my first medication for this so I don't really have anything else to compare it too. It sucks about the side effects, but anyone would be hard pressed to a med w/o any.

If I do start to feel different and depressed, I'll sure let my doctor know. Thanks for your concern & info.

 
Old 04-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
otgal HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarula View Post
Hi everyone,
I feel so bad complaining about something that isn't terminal or making me suffer like so many others. I've had halitosis for years, nothing seems to help. I went through a long phase in college trying a ridiculous number of products all promising a cure. It wasn't cheap of course.

Then when I started working, I got myself to the dentist who found a few cavities in my teeth. But they were all fixed. When the cavities were first discovered - I thought great - this is what is causing the stinky mouth. Other than that, the dentist said my oral hygiene was good.

Bad breath still stayed. I saved & saved and finally got to an ENT. I had what feels like post-nasal drip and the ENT look around and said nose looks good. Looked down my throat and said doesn't see any inflammation, etc. The ENT said that the feeling of a lump and some difficulty breathing could be the result of a sinus infection that has been there for a while. So he prescribed some antibiotics. I have never had to take any before, so if they were going to work they would have.

The antibiotics did not work. Still the lump in the throat & the stinky breath.

Now the ENT wants an xray just to be sure it's not a sinus infection. Understandable I guess. I was also having some burping (pure air) no food and really not other reflux symptoms. The food I ate didn't matter. It seemed to happen each time I ate or drank really. I don't drink coffee, I rarely have chocolate. My diet is very healthy overall - if I had to perfect it - I'd probably cut out the sugar. I'll have a piece of cake every other week or something. I don't need to lose/gain weight. I'm active. I am healthy overall. I used to be relatively happy, but the bad breath really really is keeping me back. It's so embarrassing and offensive. :'(

Other than the xray for the sinus, I am supposed to start taking Prilosec OTC - once a day for about 6 weeks or so.

I feel so not like myself anymore. I know this is the reflux board but I hope you all can give me some advice. I try my best to not let it get to - I used t avoid going out all the time. Then I realized I felt even worse. So I'll meet up with people but often choose activities that don't require close interaction. I hate this.

I'm just going on but no one in my family understands this. I told two people after mustering some courage and they said oh just brush more.

My main question is did anyone who suffered from the lump in throat & halitosis feel better after Prilosec or other PPI? I read something about how it will prevent acid but won't stop the reflux. Then I started to consider maybe using Gaviscon for this LPR type stuff? I don't know. Honestly, the lump in the throat (if it's even PND or whatever it is) is annoying but if I could have fresh breath for once I would live with the annoying glob.

Thanks everyone. Hope you guys don't think I'm overreacting, be a sissy, etc. I hate this breath. Ugh.
Omeprazole dr 20 mg, or stronger is Aciphex 20mg one tablet per day. One or the other WILL take care of acid reflux problem. Should help get rid of bad breath, Otto

 
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 585
rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

By the way, I saw something advertised on television about a new mouthwash that purports to prevent bad breath for up to twelve hours at a stretch. I forgot the name but it sounded like something that would be available over the counter at a regular pharmacy. It also sounded like a new product. I am going to look into it as I would rather use that than Listerine if it really works.

 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Hi Otto - I am taking Prilosec now. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this working since it takes a few weeks. :-( Doctor doesn't even know if it is because of reflux for sure.

 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
By the way, I saw something advertised on television about a new mouthwash that purports to prevent bad breath for up to twelve hours at a stretch. I forgot the name but it sounded like something that would be available over the counter at a regular pharmacy. It also sounded like a new product. I am going to look into it as I would rather use that than Listerine if it really works.
Hi Rose,
Are you referring to Smart Mouth (was also called Tri Oral before)? Or some other product? I want to get at the root of it and not just keep patching up something that may be broken. I do use the smart mouth but because it's internal it doesn't really help in that way. Let me know if you tried it and what you think.

 
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
KatieMomma HB User
Lightbulb Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Hi Amarula -

Hi - I'm female/37yo.

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, so hear me out I too have suffered all my life with bad breath. I am fastidious, like you, about my oral hygiene. I brush 3 times a day. I floss. I use those metal hooks or the little brushes to really get at the tartar. I visit the dentist for a thorough cleaning every 6 months, and she is always amazed at how little build-up I have (which is due to how much time I spend cleaning and flossing). I brush my toungue, the roof of my mouth and my gums. Everything. And, like you, I eat very well. I am borderline vegetarian, with no red meat and a diet high in fruit and veg. I drink TONS. I have no cavities. My teeth are in good shape.

Basically, I do everything right as suggested by the docs and experts and I *still* had breath like an animal crawled in there and died. In fact, I could go through the whole mouth brushing/flossing/rinsing routine and within 5 minutes I could taste my mouth was stale again. It is AWFUL, and I can so empathise with your sadness. It can be so depressing! I chew gum to help, but really that is just masking the problem. It has made me so embarrased socially and so on.

Yes, I agree, of course it is not life threatening. Not even physically painful....and yet emotionally it can really, REALLY, get you down. Occasional bad breath *everyone* gets, as we know....but to have it chronically like this is just horrible.

Anyway....the cause, I believe, for you and for I is TONSILLILTHS (sp?). Or, more commonly, tonsil stones. This would also explain the "lump" feeling you are getting (and I would get) at the back of your throat, like a little irritation or something stuck there. To describe the smell of these disgusting things I would have to envoke the visual of a dead animal combined with rotting eggs combined with 6-month old brocolli combined with old toe cheese combined with sour milk combined with sewage....you get the picture?? They STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN..and then some. It has to rank as one of the worse stenches I have ever smelt in my entire life.....and I am not exaggerating.

Basically tonsil stones are a combination of dead cell matter, nasal drip, possibly teeny food particles and other oral debris that fester and grow in the crypts of the tonsil. A crypt is like a little cave, so to speak....dark, damp and warm...and hence, the perfect breeding ground for these awful things. Many people have this issue and are aware of it because the stones will eventually work their way out and pop into your mouth...or sometimes can literally be seen hanging out of the tonsil pocket/crypt like a little white/creamy/yellowish stone. However, for some, they are not even aware of having them. Maybe the stones do drop out occasionally but are just swollowed...I don't know...but for whatever reason some folks can go years...decades...having this problem and being totally unaware of it. Apart from the awful aide effect of bad breath, of which they are keenly aware!

I would suggest gently running your finger tip (with a short nail..don't want to cause a cut) on the tonsil area, especially if you have a flap of skin that kind of goes across the front part (hard to describe, sorry). If you can pull it back a little, even better. Now sniff your finger tip....! If you feel like throwing up at the stench, then that, I would hazard a 99% correct guess, is your problem.
And honestly, even if it doesn't smell that bad, it could still be the problem if your crypts are very deep and the stones are buried well.

So - here's how I have dealt with it. For years I have manually pushed these things out using my finger or a q-tip. It would always feel SO MUCH better afterwards - cleaner, and less "full" back there. It gave me a short respite from feeling so paranoid about my stinky breath! I have read all sort sof ways to get these things out. One common way is to use the waterpik to gently hose them out. The problem is, they will always come back so it is a matter of constantly removing them. And, for me, I always felt that there were more stuck deeper in the tonsilur crypts. Plus, it was quite uncomfortable to manually extract them and I would often cause bleeding.

My tonsils have always caused me issues, and over the years the chronic tonsilitis has left them pitted and scarred and swollen to 3 times the size of what they should be. The more damaged they became from the repeated infections, the more scarred pockets and sunken crypts and other areas the tonsil stones had to grow in. UGH. Gross!!

Anyway, I finally took the plunge and had my tonsils out 8 days ago. The surgery is not cheap (even with insurance I ended up paying almost 1K), and I am going to be honest with you here...it has been AGONY in the recovery. I mean truly, gut-wrenching, brutal pain. I am going on day 9 post-Op, my throat is still covered in scabs, I can barely eat much beyond soup, the pain-Meds barely touched the agony...I have essentally barely left the couch in over a week. Thank the lord I took 2 weeks of work, because this is the recovery from h**l. There is no other way to describe it....but guess what....NO BAD BREATH!!! NADA! ZILCH! NOTHING! I even had my husband smell my breath first thing in the morning before brushing and he said "not that bad".....honestly, I am not exaggerating....the clouds zoomed away, the sun burst forth and the song "HALLELUJA" blasted out from the hilltops! After brushing, and even with these hideous scabs on my thorat, my breath stayed fresh all day....my husband has been subjected to the "sniff test" about every 2 hours, and I have passed everytime with flying colors. In fact, he described my breath as "nice and fresh" about 4pm....8 hours after brushing! ME...with nice and fresh breath! I can barely believe it!!!!

Adult tonsillectomy is not to be taken lightly. The recovery is slower and much more painful than that of a child. Kids can bounce back within 5 days sometimes...it can take literally 3 or 4 weeks to feel remotely normal again, althoughmore commonly 10-14 days. But still, that is a full 2 weeks you will essentailly be out of comission. Plus, the risks are higher for adults of post-operative bleeding. If you bleed during the Op, the doc is there to deal with it immediately of course. The next risky time is approx. 7-11 days post Op when the scabs drop off. Yeah - disgusting, I know. Anyway, at this time there is a 2-4% chance of a serious bleed which woul dbe enough to get you back to ER and into the OR again to have the area cauterized...which of ocurse means you have to start the healing all over again. However, the way I saw it was 2-4% chance meant there was a 96-98% chance of NOT bleeding, so to me the risk is worth it. Plus, I figured, even if I do have a major bleed-out, the hospital is only a 10minute drive. I am just suggesting you weigh up the risks if you decide to go this route...but that is something you can research online and discuss with your ENT.


So yes, I am in absolute torturous pain, I feel like crap (and look worse! hahaha!), my throat is so sore I can hardly stand it, I have lost 10lbs in weight (hmm...maybe a good thing??), I have hardly slept and sitting in the car for the ride to pick my kids up from school - and I'm not even the one driving - is enough to exhaust me for hours and hours.......but it has been SO WORTH IT!!!

To know that my breath problem (as well as my chronic tonsilitis problem) is a thing of the past brings me more joy than I could even express.

I really believe this may be the root of all your problems, and I strongly suggest getting off all these meds that don't address the real issue and finding an ENT who recognizes and understands the problem of tonsil stones and will work with you to resolve this rotten problem!! No, I am not a doctor, and of course I may be completely wrong, but everything you describe points to tonsil stones.

Good luck and I really hope this helps! When I saw your post I couldn't help but reply...sorry...it turned into a bit of a novel...hahahah!!

Last edited by KatieMomma; 04-23-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typos and added info

 
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 36
amarula HB User
Re: Sadness - I'd appreciate some ears

Hi KatieMomma,

Wow I'm glad that you were able to find out what was the issue for you. I actually don't have tonsil stones, doctors have checked and none at all. That would have been a simple solution!

Hope you feel better soon & are recovered. Thanks for sharing your story. :-)

Last edited by amarula; 04-23-2010 at 08:39 AM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Incredible sadness LucyMae Menopause 1 01-06-2010 03:49 AM
Sadness vs. Depression madness86 Depression 0 11-20-2008 10:20 AM
Overwhelming Sadness.... Victoria05 Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 5 06-10-2008 09:23 AM
If you can help, I would appreciate it. cathymagnolia Hearing Disorders 6 12-15-2007 06:47 PM
Depression & sadness...can menopause cause this? oceandreams Menopause 5 05-01-2006 01:27 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!