It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Post nissen fundo need some advice and assurance

I have ben suffering from LPR and acid reflux for the past 3 years, and finally decided to have the nissen fundoplication surgery. did a lot of research and ensured that I was operated on by one of the top surgeons 5 days ago. I was told that the op went well and I had the 360 wrap. I had quite a bit of pain the second day and whenever I tried to swallow the shoulders really hurt. I have been on soft diet, liquid and pureed, like scrambled egg, etc and have been fine, ofcourse have to drink and eat slowly but all together feels much better than expected, but I am scared.
I have a funny burning feeling in the throat which makes me think that the reflux is not gone. I feel like the food wants to come up, but it can't feeling dry and burning in the throat, feels like reflux is back!!!maybe?!!!
I have been crying for the past hour, since I was extremely hopefull that this would work for me. I am not sure whether since I am so scared whether I am being too sensitive and it is nothing and I am just feeling the sensation because I have had it for the past 3 years of my life, or is it for real and it is acid making it's way up. I feel like I need to go and have some gaviscon, but don't want to do that. My follow up appointment is in 2 weeks time, and I am really scared.
Any ideas or similar experieces? should I try the gaviscon and see whether it gets better? I keep feeling like I need to drink water.
I am off PPIs , I was on 40mg of nexium twice daily. Just wondering if anyone else who has has nissen ever felt like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Post nissen fundo need some advice and assurance

I had a Nissen in 2008. It takes about 3 months for your stomach to totally heal from the surgery. Right now, your stomach is inflammed and not in its normal state. Give it a couple more weeks before really worrying.

My surgeon had me on a liquid only diet for 2 weeks. I added soft foods in for two weeks after that. Then I added in solid foods, except bread and meat. I added those in at the 3 month mark. You might want to take it easy on what you are eating for a while.

Per my doctor's orders, I stayed on my PPI's post surgery. I would think that some Gaviscon might help as needed. That's my own personal opinion though. Are you still taking painkillers? That may have an affect as well.

Wishing you well.

Last edited by MountainReader; 04-16-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I have not had a Nissen fundoplication but read through others' posts here. I think it takes weeks for the inflamation of the stomach to go down and for you to start feeling normal. If your goal in having the surgery is to get off PPI's, then I would not continue the dependency on them unless your doctor tells you to get back on them for some reason. Find out if you can take antiacids occassionally for irritation. You probably need a very mild and alkaline diet while your stomach heals. But I agree with the other posters in that the symptoms you feel are not comfortable but likely the ones people experience in the days and weeks post surgery. Hope you feel better soon and I would love to hear how you are healing and getting along as time goes on.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Thanks for your responses, I guess I am really scared that I might have barretts, They didn't scope me before the surgery. My last scope was 15months ago and the osephagus was fine. The surgeon said that since your scope was fine then and yu have been on 40mg nexium twice daily you couldn't have developed barretts, he said it takes years with no protection.
I am just really emotional and depressed, this dissease has really scared the hell out of me for te past few years, and I hate being so weak and helpless.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

I tried today and noticed that the discomfort is definitely after I eat something. I puried some banana, didn't really have any issued with eating it, obviousy discomfort and need to eat slowly, but nothing major. About 20mins later the discomfort starts uncomfortable, feel heavy in the esophagus area and then the burning. Hope this is not reflux!!! I am so scared

Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I do understand the being scared. My acid reflux was irritating my lungs so bad that my asthma flared and treatments weren't helping at all. At one point, I almost stopped breathing and needed emergency treatment. Nothing I did for the reflux was working towards the time before I had my surgery.

I will say that I have extremely severe reflux. I've had 2 scopes that came back fine. My GI doc assured me that the fact I was aggressively trying to treat my afcid reflux helped with the damage. I'm more worried about the damage it caused to my teeth than my esophagus.

Anyway, if you are really concerned something is wrong, call your surgeon or GI doc. They may have some suggestions.

Otherwise, give it some time to heal. I think my healing went as well as it did because I didn't eat any solids at all the first two weeks. It gave my stomach some time to heal. I added in the soft foods for another 2 weeks after that. Again, it gave my stomach more time to heal. After that, I chewed things really well and took small bites.

If you really are worried about damage that may have occurred, talk to your doctor. They may have you take your Nexium for a while longer to help with the healing. There are options.

Think good thoughts,

MountainReader

Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I do understand the being scared. My acid reflux was irritating my lungs so bad that my asthma flared and treatments weren't helping at all. At one point, I almost stopped breathing and needed emergency treatment. Nothing I did for the reflux was working towards the time before I had my surgery.

I will say that I have extremely severe reflux. I've had 2 scopes that came back fine. My GI doc assured me that the fact I was aggressively trying to treat my afcid reflux helped with the damage. I'm more worried about the damage it caused to my teeth than my esophagus.

Anyway, if you are really concerned something is wrong, call your surgeon or GI doc. They may have some suggestions.

Otherwise, give it some time to heal. I think my healing went as well as it did because I didn't eat any solids at all the first two weeks. It gave my stomach some time to heal. I added in the soft foods for another 2 weeks after that. Again, it gave my stomach more time to heal. After that, I chewed things really well and took small bites.

If you really are worried about damage that may have occurred, talk to your doctor. They may have you take your Nexium for a while longer to help with the healing. There are options.

Think good thoughts,

MountainReader
Thanks for your prompt reply. I was on two 40mg nexiums a day and was taking gaviscon regularly, but was bad with the diet, and keep thinking being bad with my diet might have affected me. I have to say though I have had 3 endoscopies all before 15months ago and they were all fine, but since the reflux was really bad over the last 6 months that is what really worries me. Also I am a real worrier. I have to say though that that my symptoms were more stomach related prior to surgery, and I am not having those symptoms, so just wondering if the food that I am consuming is staying there too long before it makes it ways down, and that is what irritates me.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Glad to hear your original symptoms are better. Try giving your stomach a bit more time to heal more before you increase your worries. I worried some too and my GI doc told me that my "stomach is angry at you" for the surgery and takes months to calm down. It is inflammed and swollen for a while after surgery and it takes time for the swelling to reduce. That is part of the reason for the diet.

I found that a heating pad or one of those buckwheat things you stick in the microwave and heat up helped me feel better some. I also liked sitting on the sofa with a soft pillow pushed against my stomach. Made me feel better.

I totally relate with things getting worse over time. I was on 2 PPI's for about 5 years until they just stopped working. I was also supplementing with Gaviscon, sleeping on an incline, eating carefully, lost weight, etc... Nothing was totally working. My acid was so bad that Even 1 1/2 years post-surgery I'm still on Kapidex 60mg and sleeping on an incline. Overall I'm doing significantly better. I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

Try to find something relaxing that you enjoy during your recouperation to take your mind off things.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Hi Mountainreader, you are very kind and I am very greatefull for the responses, if you don't mind I have couple of other questions.
Is the reason for the diet the healing process or is it because the wrap might become undone. Since I moved on to the soft food quickly I am concerned that it might have undone the wrap, is that possible? Also I have 2 small children and it is not easy to get much rest, I haven't been lifting anything heavy but have been moving around and sleeping on my side. Do these things matter?
It's just that I wasn't given any instructions just the diet sheet. Also how long were you off work, I just don't think mentally or physically I will be well to go back for another couple of weeks at least.
On the positive note had very soft scramble egg today, which I chewed througly and I am still feeling ok, much better than before when I had the pureed bananas. I know I was hungry and had the bananas more quickly.
Thanks again for the replies.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

If you are following the diet your doc or surgeon gave you, I wouldn't worry about pulling the stitches. I'd worry more about heavy lifting too soon.

The liquid or soft food allow your esophagus and stomach time to heal and the swelling to go down. You just need to be careful not to get food "stuck" above the wrap. If you ever do get something "stuck" don't worry. It is uncomfortable, but eventually everything goes down. It doesn't affect breathing because it is so low.

You should be able to sleep in comfortable positions. I had tons of left side pain with the surgery so sleeping on my back with a wedge pillow under my knees was my preferance. I don't see a problem with side sleeping.

I took 2 weeks off. I maybe could have gone back after 1, but was happy I took 2. It took me a couple weeks to get back to full speed. I just barely started on the soft food when I went back to work.

Take care,
MountainReader

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Thanks again. Unfortunately have another isue now, my wisdom tooth which needs to be taken out is now infected. I as supposed to have it out but decided to have the nissen first. I have the antibiotics at home, but they are very strong and I am not sure whether I can take them after nissen, don't see why not, but will be calling the surgeon tomorrow and checking with him. Also will mention my symptoms to him. I think after eating the food takes a long time to get through the wrap perhaps, and maybe that is why I feel like I am refluxing, it just feels very heavy an uncomfortable at my osephagus as if the food won't get digested, not sure if this makes sense.
Enjoy your Sunday, and Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Sorry to hear you are hurting so much. You should be fine to take the antibiotics. I'm sure your surgeon will confirm this.

Are you still taking painkillers for your Nissen? I'd assume that would help some with the tooth pain as well.

If your problems continue long-term, you might want to have the test you to make sure that the wrap isn't too tight.

I had a colonoscopy within a week of my surgery. My GI doc wasn't concerned about one thing affecting the other. (One week on Nexium and I have had IBS now for 2 years. Talk about a horrible side-effect for me.)

Take care,
MountainReader

Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

I am sorry that you had problems with nexium. It worked fine for me for almost 2 years, I could eat whatever I want and no indigestion, but the last 6 months it has been unbearable, and the nexium stopped working, and I found the dietery restrictions very difficult, I think it is because I work full time with 2 small children, and never had a chance to prepare different food for myself, but saying that, I am stayed away from citrus fruits and most fried fooods, and anything with tomatoe sauce, my main guilt was 2 cups of coffee a day.
Unfortunately I now think that I am definitely refluxing again?!!! But how is that possible? My throat is burning, and after drinking diluted apple juice (added water to lighten it), I know feel awfull, and I am sure taking gaviscon will help, since I tried gaviscon earlier today and it helped a lot.
Unfortunately I get the feeling that my family is tired of all my problems, they have been very supportive but I don't think they want to hear that I am refluxing again, I had a lot of hope for this surgery and thought I be a ery good candidate. I wanted a new begining but it just doesn't seem like it. Can't think the wrap would have come undone already?!!! I just feel awfull.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Keep us posted on what your doctor says when you call. Unfortunately, they surgery is not 100% successful for everyone. You do need to make sure you give time to heal though.

I was just thinking. How big are the antibiotic pills you have? If they are large and cannot be split, ask your pharmacist for a liquid version. When I had my surgery, my pharmacist was able to turn 4 of my prescriptions into liquid versions...and they aren't typically available that way. It took a lot of room in my medicine cabinet, but was worth it.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Just an update, I spoke to the surgeon and he said this could be because it is early days but he said that to ensure that everything is fine he will do a barium swallow test next week. I have the test next Wednesday and will see him on Thursday 29th for the results. The discomfort is stilll there as soon as I eat af ter 15 to 20minutes to me it feels like aafter effects of reflux, but how could that be. I have never had barium swallow test before, woukd this test show if I have reflux?!!!
I will keep you updated.

Closed Thread