It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
(male)

amphib HB User
Esophogeal Manometry / PH Test for LPR?

Has anyone had these tests done and did they help at all in the diagnosis or help with the treatment plan?? To me it seems like they are just confirming that yes you have acid reflux and it won't really play a role in part of the treatment plan. I have mine scheduled and my GI told me that the manometry test is horrible and to expect the worse for 20 minutes....has anyone had this done? is it that bad an experience? he told me that because you need to be able to swallow they cannot sedate you at all....sounds scary....anyone?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Esophogeal Manometry / PH Test for LPR?

While the tests are not at all nice to go thru, they are also not that bad. I have been thru them 3 times. Sounds like they are trying to see if you have a motility problem in the esophagus. Believe me, the tests are needed. They don't do these tests just for the fun of it.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
(male)

amphib HB User

thanks Sunny....I guess this test can tell what your sphincter's are doing? glad to hear they are not that bad....I have a horrible gagging problem and am not looking forward to it!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

mishka87 HB User

don't let your doctor scare you! i had a gastro tell me the same thing, he made the tests sound really horrible, and i had been putting them off for years out of fear. i finally got them done last month and they are not a big deal.

for the manometry, the tube is kind of big, and it hurts a little going down, but it's not unbearable. once it's in, and you swallow, it just feels like a sore throat. it may hurt when they pass it through your nose because sometimes it's difficult to find the hole back there, but again, it's nothing you can't put up with. they'll push it in- you'll barely feel it- and they'll probably ask when it's in your thoat. when you feel it there, you gulp down water while the rest of it goes down. i didn't gag once.

if you're getting the ph test with the tube in for 24 hrs, that is a piece of cake. i didn't even feel the tube if i was sitting still. it burned my sinuses when i ate. the most annoying part for me was getting the tube caught on stuff and having it yank me backwards, haha. i actually found it relatively comfortable. again, no gagging.

the manometry will show how well your esophagus is working and the pressure in the esophageal sphincters. the ph test measures acid and you have to press a button when you have symptoms, are sitting or standing, lying down, and if you're sleeping, eating/drinking.

these two tests are worth it because they give such a wealth of information. i was scared of them for so long and it was all for nothing. you'll be fine. good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had both tests done twice. I pretty much agree with the other posters. While neither test is fun, they really weren't that bad. A good technician can make the tests all that much easier also. I would never say it was a horrible experience, just something I needed to do.

For me, these tests were very informative. They confirmed how my LES was functioning, the motility of my esophagus and how severe I was refluxing. In my case, I was able to see how much worse my reflux got over time despite treatment which helped me determine my next course of treatment.

While the "gagging" can be an issue, if you are mentally prepared it shouldn't be too bad. While they have you "swallowing" the probes, they have you taking sips of water through a straw. Your swallowing motions help facilitate the probe going down and reduce the "gag".

Since you are specifically concerned about LPR, I'm curious about what type of pH testing they are doing. According to my ENT, it is best to have an upper probe to get an accurate read on your LPR. The typical probe is placed just above the lower esophageal sphincter (they determine the location based upon your manometry). With LPR, you really want to get a reading of the acid that is coming up past the upper esophageal sphincter. My ENT uses a dual probe with one at the LES and the other at the UES.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
(male)

amphib HB User

thanks for the responses...mountain reader, I'm not sure what type of PH test I am doing...I was just told I was to go for them..I will mention about the tube positioning and the difference between LPR and GERD and see what they say...you have all eased my concerns about the tests...thank you all!!! I am looking forward to some answers as this LPR thing has been a horrible experience!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
(female)

bimik HB User

I am also in the midst of deciding to d manometry/24 h ph. Wanted to knwo if you had yours done and what was your experience? thnx

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
(male)

amphib HB User

bimik...

compared to what you think it will be, its not that bad...it is unpleasant, but tolerable...hardest part is getting it down, once its in, you can relax a bit...just focus on swallowing and get that thing down as quick as you can...lol...the gagging and heaving happens at the beginning....good luck its an important test

Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
(female)

bimik HB User

Thnx for the info ! I'll have it done next month and hopefully it will be useful for my future treatment.

Closed Thread