It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

chook439 HB User
Post nasal drip?

Could someone please help me clarify whether post nasal drip is actually a typical symptom of lpr/general reflux?
I experience really bad post nasal drip. I can feel the sinus drainage going down the back of my throat, and even see it coming down. My ENT however, has told me that what I believe is post nasal drip is actually just phlegm, and mucus that has come up from my throat (rather then down from my sinuses) as a result of the reflux. I do have phlegm in my throat, but I am absolutley 100% sure that I am also experiencing bad post nasal drip. I am now uncertain as to whether this is an actual symptom of LPR. Apparently reflux only creates the illusion of post nasal drip, but doesn't actually cause it. In other words, makes people think they are experiencing post nasal drip when in fact they are experiencing something else.
What are your thoughts? Is post nasal drip a result of reflux or not?
Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by chook439; 04-20-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
(male)

tomomy1 HB User
Re: Post nasal drip?

I had post nasal drip all my life and after doing a nissen fundoplication for my reflux I still have PND. Here is a list of the most common reasons why you might have it.

Food allergies
Allergies
Sinuses (I also had sinus surgerg but still had PND)
Family condition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Post nasal drip can irritate the esophagus and cause heartburn and other symptoms.

I came back to edit this because I forgot to mention that irrigating your sinuses with saline solution is a natural method to help control congestion and drip. You can actually buy a Nety Pot at the drugstore over the counter. It comes with saline solution packets. You disolve it in water and then irrigate your sinuses. It is weird at first, but it really helps if you do it daily for a while.

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 05-18-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

usmc4myson HB User

Yes, I can confirm the feeling of PND. For over a year, I was self treating my "PND" with guifenesin, with no reduction of my symptoms.
I attributed all of my PND symptoms and throat clearing and coughing at night to my allergies! Since I never had true heartburn, I never would have guessed it to be a remote possibility...but it was actually the main cause!!

I found out from my ENT that our throats actually produce extra extra mucus, to try and mitigate the damage that the acid and bile is trying to inflict! It is an amazing thing to think about...but not so fun to have to deal with!
If we got rid of that mucus entirely, the acid would burn a literal hole in our esophagus! I think it's a double edged sword.

Now, lots of us have the double whammy of our allergy/sinus related PND, AND the LPR related mucus production...so the guifenesin could be of some help, but not really for the LPR mucus.

I guess the goal is to reduce the acid, coat the esophagus to protect it from inflammation and erosion, and have the surgery to fix the physiological weakness that most of us probably have that allows the acid and bile to flow up so freely.

When you think about it, if our bodies didn't produce all that mucus , we would all be dead from the acid!

So that's one thing to be thankful for...right?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
(female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User

hi, i have lpr and pnd and did some research on it and pnd is definetely a symptom of lpr. anxiety increases and makes pnd worse.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

try xclear for your post nasal drip.Yeast related, its over the counter. give it two solid weeks before you conclude if it works or not. And people with GERD do have yeast overgrowth and yes stomach problems have ripple effects to rvery organ of your body.

Closed Thread