It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

prairie HB User
Smile Post Nissen fundoplication constipation

Help!!

I am three weeks post lap Nissen Fundoplication for hital hernia and gerd. I am having a couple of problems.

1. constipation: I have not had a regular bowel movement since the surgery. I am passing lots of gas and stomach rumbling. I contacted the doctor and he said that I am not allowed to have any fiber but I can take Milk of Magnesium and stool softeners. I am taking stool softners per the doctors suggestion but I still have to take Milk of Magnesium to get any relief. I don't like to take laxatives and I am worried about sluggish bowels. Anyone have problems with constipation and sluggish bowels?

2. I am having right chest pains after eating anything such as noodles, ripened mashed bananas, etc.

Per my doctor's orders I have stopped all proton pump inhibitors and am only taking Aleve for pain.

Last edited by prairie; 05-10-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: need to add to tag

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Post Nissen fundoplication constipation

I had my Nissen Fundoplication in fall 2008. I had problems with constipation afterwards as well.

It's interesting how different doctors have differing opinions. My doc kept me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, soft diet for a couple weeks than regular food except bread and meat for about 3 months. He also kept me on PPI's twice per day. In fact, 19 months later and I'm still on Kapidex 60mg. For the constipation, my doc had me taking Miralax regularly. He had me increase my dosage when until it regulated out. Ironically, prior to the surgery I had IBS with diarrhea. Post surgery, I ended up swinging the other way to the "c". Now I alternate between the two. (Ironically, it was a PPI that triggered my IBS in the first place.) I did end up with some nausea issues I didn't have prior. I keep anti-nausea meds on hand all the time now just in case.

Per my GI doc, the stomach takes about 3 months to have the swelling completely go away. In the meantime, you should just continue to be careful with what you eat. It is important to be careful with what you eat. Gas cannot come back up through your esophagus like you are used to. Instead, it will just sit there until it works its way out of your system. It is uncomfortable, but does get better over time. For me, it never went away.

Good luck with your healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

prairie HB User
Re: Post Nissen fundoplication constipation

Thanks for your encouragement. When the they did my x-ray 1 week after surgery the regular doctor was out but they fill in doctor told me that I was really full of gas even behind my lung area. They just told me to make sure and continue to walk alot and that should relieve my problem. However, as soon as I eat anything it sounds like a war going on in my stomach and intestines, but all I do is blow hot air. Maybe a few more days and things will improve. I was thinking of trying probotics to see if my flora in the colon may be off, after all of the antibotics I had after surgery.

God Bless and wonderful day!

Closed Thread